Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Mon Dec 10, 2018 6:28 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Laser Speakers
PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 5:23 am 

Can anyone tell me anything about Laser Audio Inc.? I have a pair of FXT 10 speakers with 2 - 12" woofers and a tweeter Hooked to my Sony amp(TA2650 ) they seem to work fine At least as good as my D 3's hooked to the same amp

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 6:35 am 
Premium User

Sounds like something the guys in the white vans sell. "Laser" means as much to speakers as "turbo" does. :roll:
A Google search shows Laser multimedia speakers coming out of Australia and New Zealand. They look like cheap made-in-China junk.
IN any event, they are not a recognized producer of audio speakers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 8:55 am 

They are from the 80's. Very simuliar to Vivid. Not worth anything on used market but if you like them then keep them.

Post subject: Re: Laser Speakers
PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 10:36 am 

Stony C wrote:
Can anyone tell me anything about Laser Audio Inc.? I have a pair of FXT 10 speakers with 2 - 12" woofers and a tweeter Hooked to my Sony amp(TA2650 ) they seem to work fine At least as good as my D 3's hooked to the same amp

Laser Audio started up in the late 70's and fizzled out about 10 years later. I've owned a couple of pair before. They did some decent cabinetry (chamfered laminate corners, glue block bracing, extra paint steps here and there etc) and even had some of their own drivers manufactured. Seems good voltage film caps were used too. The guy took the time to go a little further than some others comparable at the time but he seemed to spend money on areas that were only to be negated by poor implementation. One step forward, one back type thing. Laser made a spun alloy horn loaded tweeter with a 10ounce ceramic which was comparable to the popular and similar Sound Dynamics version. Laser was a valiant attempt during hi-fi's hey-days and remains a peice of Canadian Audio history, gone yet barely remembered.

Post subject: Laser audio
PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 3:11 pm 

Laser was a company in Oakville...started making speakers for Sony and others as well as their own brand. Thats one of the places I cut my designing teeth.
Run by a guy named Emil Bazinet.smart guy but took a wrong turn...I went to Taiwan with him to source out manu-afcturers..way back. Had a knock0-out secretary named Jennie. very nice....but they disappeared suddenly...whatever the reason.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 1:53 pm 

I know this is an old thread (talk about resurrecting the dead lol)
but I've been offered a pair of laser audio speakers and the seller does not know the ratings of these, what was the usual speaker like?
are they any good?
the guy wants 120$ for them, I can bargain him down a bit but he insists they are pro quality

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 3:29 pm 

[ "Laser" means as much to speakers as "turbo" does. :roll:
[/quote]

Turbo actually means a great deal to loudspeakers in the sound reinforcement sector.Turbosound is a world class British manufacturer that is very highly regarded. They are up there with the best of them.

https://m.music-group.com/brand/turbosound/home

Attachments:
Turbosound.jpg
Turbosound.jpg [ 78.98 KiB | Viewed 1771 times ]
PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 5:53 pm 

Fred1diver wrote:
I know this is an old thread (talk about resurrecting the dead lol)
but I've been offered a pair of laser audio speakers and the seller does not know the ratings of these, what was the usual speaker like?
are they any good?
the guy wants 120$ for them, I can bargain him down a bit but he insists they are pro quality

I had a pair of Laser something, something 7. I would not bother buying another. For the same amount or less you can do better,

eg. http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/details/649266723-psb-alpha-speakers/
http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/details/649307385-axiom-ax2-series-iii/
http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/details/649306158-paradigm-9s-tower-speakers-for-sale/

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 7:26 pm 

If you like the sound of your speakers then enjoy them, don't let others get you down. Are there better speakers out there? Of course, no matter what you have there always seems to be better ones. But that doesn't mean you can't enjoy what you have.

When I was in University I bought a pair of Audio Tech speakers from International Stereo in Regina. I had these speakers with a Pioneer A7 Integrated amp and a Pioneer PL-7 turntable with B&O mc cartridge for many years. I have since replaced them several times but I have many fond memories of that system. Enjoy your speakers.

Oh wait, the op posted this 8 years ago. Perhaps he's replaced them by now. :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:36 am 

I bought a pair of Laser L-50 2 way ported speakers awhile back with a HK set that the owner had bought new in '87 from a stereo shop. They sound great, lots of punch, and presence. They handle the HK 795i's 70 wpc of high current power quite well. Cabs are built real well, and grills also and fit perfect. If these are low budgie, you certain;y can't tell. I'd put them up to my Paradigm 7se, Technics SB-4500, Energy, 22.1, or B&W DM 110. and they will hold their own. All the opomopms om here are just that, nobody knows about these as they weren't around long and not widely sold, but are a nice vintage piece. :? :? :? :? :?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:50 am 

I got a pair of "Laser 8's" back in the 80's from Base Electronics in Barrie...with my JVC system. Had a 8" passive radiator system. They were just marginally better than white van specials. They sounded alright to my untrained late teen ears.