Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:25 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 335 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 23  Next
PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 8:19 am 

For the money, I think Magnepans are the best sounding speakers. And I might even say they are the better sounding speaker at any price. I'm the proud owner of a pair of SMGa's by Magnepan. I purchased my SMGa's for only $300.00, and they are in mint condition :!: Alot of audio speaker companies claim that, "for the money our speakers are the best." But, I think if any speaker can claim to be the best for the money, it is Magnepan :D Also, has anyone tried the high end fuses from Partsconnexion on the tweeter section of the Magnepans :?:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 9:55 am 

are thet really that cheap tho?

i have heard that they require plenty of high quality watts to sound there best,thus what you save on speakers you spend on the electronics???

just a question.also not really suited to alot of listening rooms are they>?

i think sometimes you need to get the best suited to your room/taste.

also i have heard they are not for bass lovers at all

D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 10:16 am 

Dear Dallas,

No, they are not for bass lovers on their own, but they blend very well with subwoofers. Maggies don't produce alot of deep deep bass, but the bass they have is snapy and realy shines with acoustical instruments (e.g. jass music, but not for hip-hop so much). Alot of the quality of really good bass comes from quality mid-bass. By moving Maggies closer or further away from a wall will allow you to tune the bass to your preference. Yes, they do require a little attention in room placement, but they are thin and so very easy to move around. Most Maggies run well with a treu 100 watt per channel amp. I've run my speaker with ordinary home theather amps with great results.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 3:37 pm 

from what ive seen and heard the answer is a big YES.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 4:07 pm 

I have not heard the current line but the older ones had poor low level detail.You really have to turn them up for them to open up.
I prefer something that is good at moderate levels too. Plus its nice if the speaker blends in to the room.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 7:20 pm 

Magnepans or Maggies, as they are affectionately known, are
all about the music.There will always be some controversy about the bass or lack thereof,to musicians and those with golden ears that's the way it's supposed to be,the rest need not apply.
I'm a big planar fan and with the right equipment upstream its as close to live as you're going to experience.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 7:47 pm 

No

I will use the 1.6 as an example - for $2000.00Cad.

Lots of $2000.00 and $1000.00 loudspeakers will play the folloing genres MUCH MUCH MUCH better than the 1.6:

Rock
Hip-hop
Country
metal
rap
trance (and all the forms like it)
dance
Pop
Jazz

Something like the $2k Dynaudio Audience 82 will be better for the above music.

Where the 1.6 wins is in opera, acoustic instruments, and classical. However Maggie isn't even one of the best panel makers let alone the BEST overall speakers.

Dynamics are not fixed with a subwoofer and subwoofer's quality of bass is seriously lacking compared to their quantity of bass and volume capability. Subwoofers are best suited as noise makers for big explosions in movie soundtracks - even Rel which is supposed to be musical is largely a one note dead sounding sub - better than most I suppose but that's not too difficult a task.

The problem for me with Maggie is that for $2k what they do well they do better than virtually any boxed loudspeaker for the money which is why I would highly recommend them for audition -- and I truly think it's one of the best deals out there -- but it is HIGHLY music listening dependent with a lot of "if you don't listen to rock" and "if you don't listen too loud" and "if...." etc. So long as the ifs have been crossed off the agenda then the Maggie 1.6 would be my pick fo best speaker $2k and under. For me and my wide musical tastes they don't work.

But if you think they're the best then you'd be crazy not to buy them. You buy what you think is the best and that's all there is to it.

Last edited by RGA on Sun Sep 09, 2007 5:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 3:16 am 

Well judging from the rest of your audio gear I can appreciate why you have that opinion.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 7:30 am 

Hey RGA,

Dynaudio Audience 82 :?: Great speaker for a magnetic cone type... But they do not have the planar/line source quality Maggie users love :idea: ...

I'm not just writing this reply to contridict everything you say :!: :D I like you, listen to a variety of music... Rap, old school, Dub, trance, Hip-hop, electronica etc... I also listen to jazz, clasical, blues, 50's-60's-70's-80's-90's and the music of the present. I'm fairly heavy into music creation software like ProTools, Mixman, etc... IMO the Magnepans sound awsome with all these styles. I've never experienced any other speaker that can play anything and everything so well. So, I'm not sure why you would say it depends on the music played. Although, I do agree about the subwoofers thing. I IMO don't like active subs, so I've made a pair of passive subs for my maggies. Bass for me has to be deep, lush and fast. When I play jazz, I wan't the bass to blend in smoothly, and when I play Hip-hop, I wan't it loud and alive. I use Peerless drivers, as you know, they are made by the same company that makes Vifa and Scanspeak. Also, when it comes to speakers, they need to be judged by there midrange first and foremost, not bass.

P.S. How long have you owned the Magnepan 1.6's :?: And, are you the dude that had the Infinity speakers for sale, and worked at the Empress :?:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 8:24 am 

I've owned MG1's,MG 1.6's and 3.6's over a span of 25 years.
Can't say that I ever owned Infinity's,although I'm a big fan of the G35X.The only Empress I'm famaliar with is my ex.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 8:53 am 

For the money they are definitely up there with the best, I think. They are EXTREMELY finnicky though - you have to have them set up just right with a high power amp and sitting right in the sweet spot for them to sound right, IMO. I had a pair of 1.6 for a good two years and loved them - but ultimately decided they were just too high maintenance for me for the above reasons. That, and the fact that IMO you really have to turn them up to hear what they can do, as others have suggested. My current box speakers (Coincident Super Eclipse) cost about 3-4 times as much new but are almost the opposite - i.e. easy to drive, easy to set up, very dynamic, sound great at any volume, no need to keep your head glued in the sweet spot, etc...

Maggies definitely do SOME things that box speakers in the same price range can't touch, particularly for classical music...but you have to be willing to live with compromises.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 12:20 pm 

hi,
so it would appear i was somewhat right in my earlier statement.

considering that u need quite decent/powerful electronics and the *agreed* lack of any real bass (so you will need to fork out for a subwoofer) then ARE THEY really that $ per sound worthy?

also i know my significant other enjoys music as much as the next person but would not let me have a pair in our house as they are not works of decor art imo and we dont really have the space i think it would take to make them sound right .

should i consider the cost of building a listening are big enufff to accomodate the maggies into the cost of them also?

im just trying to stay on topic here which was $ for sound not just sound!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 1:00 pm 

**should i consider the cost of building a listening room big enufff to accomodate the maggies into the cost of them also?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 1:03 pm 

Yes, anybody who owns Maggies know that they are bass shy, but so are Quads esl's, all 8" or less speakers etc... They have very nice bass, but not home theater boom or loud Hip-hop kinda bass, so that's why I built the passive subs for them... And yes, they sound much better with powerfull amps e.g. 100 watts per channel; just like most other speakers. What models of Magnepans have you owned or own :?: And finally yes, they might not be the best speaker for a trailer :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 1:17 pm 

hi roy ,

i havent owned maggies ever .i have heard them before and admittedly i did like the sound alot.

i guess the point i am trying to make and am haveing difficulty with is that althought they are very nice sounding speakers you also have to consider so many other factors into the equation when trying to get the best from them.the so called best sound for the dollar

for me speakers should look good,sound good ,and be easy to setup etc for me to get a real percieved value from them .

i guess the real point is for some they are awesome and for others they just dont fit the bill that way.

i picked up a pair of KEF 104A/B at a yard sale this spring for 15$.

sealed box design ,very easy to drive , AWESOME deeep bass and maybe one of the best tweeters ever made (some say).you can snug them right up to the wall.

now these buggers arent pretty either to look at .lol

in my opinion thats good value ,sound for the dollar

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 335 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 23  Next