Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Thu Dec 13, 2018 12:43 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:36 pm 

I'm looking for a set of these (either N or S series). I see a set of N's for sale at the moment, but his price is high, especially considering he bought them two months ago for $500 less. HiFi Center had the S versions on sale for $1600 and that included the $500 B&W stock stands. So unless I'm crazy about these prices, what is the going rate for the B&W 805N or 805S?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:49 pm 

Braxus wrote:
I'm looking for a set of these (either N or S series). I see a set of N's for sale at the moment, but his price is high, especially considering he bought them two months ago for $500 less. HiFi Center had the S versions on sale for $1600 and that included the $500 B&W stock stands. So unless I'm crazy about these prices, what is the going rate for the B&W 805N or 805S?

Rate, as you asked for, B&W 805N...$2,000 on Kijiji...
https://www.kijiji.ca/v-speakers/vancouver/b-w-805-n/1400825372

Just did a simple Google...

Ohms

https://www.leohl.ca

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:53 pm 
Premium User

The price on the listed 805 N is a bit on the high side but with some time they will likely sell. Someone already reached out to me asking if they should buy them. The seller might just be trying to recoup shipping costs, have you made an offer?

Hifi Shark history

https://www.hifishark.com/search?q=805

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:17 pm 

James_W wrote:
The seller might just be trying to recoup shipping costs, have you made an offer?

I really don't think shipping costs would add up to $500. He bought them for $1500 two months ago. I find it hard to believe the N series would be worth more then the S series. The S's recently sold for $1600 with stands.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:26 pm 
Premium User

Braxus wrote:
James_W wrote:
The seller might just be trying to recoup shipping costs, have you made an offer?

I really don't think shipping costs would add up to $500. He bought them for $1500 two months ago. I find it hard to believe the N series would be worth more then the S series. The S's recently sold for $1600 with stands.

Hence why I asked if you made an offer, maybe the seller is flexible with the price and just wants to cover shipping costs. With that said, he can ask whatever he wants, regardless of some other sale ad. Obviously the N series sells for less than S (condition dependant) but I've seen 805 N's go for $2k in the past. I linked Hifi shark, that will give you an idea of sale prices, high and low.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:20 pm 

I'll have to keep looking. After I contacted him, he listed the 805N as sold. Whatever. I still think his price was high.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:28 pm 

No disrespect, but if the speakers sold the price wasn't too high. Either that or a new, more agreeable price was negotiated.

I heard these speakers in my basement once and they sounded amazing. Ever since then I've thought about owning a pair. I was selling a musical fidelity amp one time and the buyer wanted to hear if it would be a good fit for the B&W's. Needless to say, the amp sold after a short demonstration.

I don't have one bit of room for any more speakers but they remain on my audio wish list.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 2:58 am 
Premium User

Braxus wrote:

From the prices currently on Hifishark his price doesn't seem out of line. Also there is no life guiding rule that you as an individual can't sell an item for more than you paid for it. If that was true real estate wouldn't be much of an investment.

Ariston RD11 Superieur, RB250 & Tecnoweight, DV20X2H, LCR MkIII, Dacmagic100, Exposure 2010S2, AS Statement SEs, AS Testaments, PSB GT1s

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 5:33 am 

A pair of 805S with stands sold on Regina Kijiji for $1800. I think that amount is at the low end of what they're worth. I wish I would have been quicker to respond to the ad and got the good deal.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 6:32 am 

Lot depends on the market and if a willing buyer
I've paid a wee bit extra for a piece of equipment if I needed it
Say I sold what I was using had no spares and what I wtd appeared I MIGHT grab it depends

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 6:33 am 

I very recently sold a pair 805S with stands for a fair bit more and rather easily, response was overwhelming to be honest. They are fantastic with the right amp plus WAF is a huge bonus. They were far more enjoyable than the many Totems I have owned. My wife looked at the replacements and her comment "wow.. they look like cheese in comparison" lol

Sadly i sold only to fund yet another crazy system change.. such a wacky hobby it is :D

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:01 am 

It took me about 2 months to sell my Matrix 805 that were re-capped and in 9/10 condition. They definitely sound great and and are very sought after speakers in the preowned marketplace. In my opinion, if you can score a set under $1000 you're doing real good!

https://www.canuckaudiomart.com/details/649225558-bowers-amp-wilkins-bampw-matrix-805-with-27-atlantis-stands-recapped/

Pete

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 11:32 am 

I get the impression he isn't a great listener :lol:

People often ask more than they would actually be happy with. Its a common sales tactic isn't it?

I agree who cares if someone makes a little after they got a good deal. I'm only bothered if I get low-balled with a sob story only to see an amplifier or speakers FS a week later @ fairer cost. Once bitten twice shy.