Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Thu Dec 13, 2018 11:40 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:23 am 

Hi all. I am asking on behalf of an older retired couple who love down the street from me.

I am not trying to sell anything here on the forum page, if it appears there may be interest I will post the items here on CAM, not sure if it is worth the trouble of taking photos and making up the the listings, is all.

Does anyone know if there is interest in RCA Dimensia components?

There is the remote, full-binder manual, TV that works, EQ that works, tuner that works, turntable that works, amp that works but the 3 buttons on the bottom,,,tone defeat, loudness, and subsonic filter are stuck and the CD player opens closes and starts but soon after ejects the CD.

I am in the Windsor area.

Is any of this worth the effort of posting?

Thanks

Joe

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:34 am 

You can check for yourself https://www.hifishark.com/search?q=RCA+Dimensia

HiFiShark are a super site for checking availability/pricing

Good luck

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:37 am 

Brownslane, thank you.

-- 05 Dec 2018 16:40 --

Brownslane! Holy Frigg! Just looked, someone paid 400$ for the TV? I would never have thought.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:50 am 

(laughing)......yup. Some people also buy early GM front-drive motor homes for crazy money too!!

You might try a little contact cleaner on those stuck buttons......other than that, throw it up here and see what happens. I would not expect too much money for the stuff

Thanks for being a good neighbor for them....and YES HiFiShark is your friend!! I see all sorts of stuff on there...and you can search sold items to see what sold when, and for how much!

Be well.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:40 pm 

retiredelectrician wrote:
Brownslane! Holy Frigg! Just looked, someone paid 400$ for the TV? I would never have thought.

Someone is asking $400 for the TV. That's not a sold listing. There's a TV in the sold listings for $30, but it was a Kijiji ad, so no way to confirm it was actually sold.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 7:34 pm 

Thanks Old School

The site is kind of useless then if it lists asking prices and not sold prices. At least for vinyl there is indeed a site that shows sold, date and price.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:32 pm 

...The site is kind of useless then if it lists asking prices and not sold prices....

The site is amazing. If you are looking for anything electronic related for sale it will find it worldwide. It searches all audio related web sites to find what you want. Postings on Cam show up there, Audiogon, E-bay etc...
They only search and find adds. This gives you an idea of whats available and what people are asking.
This seems pretty useful to me.
You can subscribe to Audiogon bluebook if you really want to see selling price history for virtually any high end audio product.
However with most used low budget equipment, Kijiji might be the only option.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:58 pm 

Hi all. I am asking on behalf of an older retired couple who love down the street from me.

I am not trying to sell anything here on the forum page, if it appears there may be interest I will post the items here on CAM, not sure if it is worth the trouble of taking photos and making up the the listings, is all.

Does anyone know if there is interest in RCA Dimensia components?

There is the remote, full-binder manual, TV that works, EQ that works, tuner that works, turntable that works, amp that works but the 3 buttons on the bottom,,,tone defeat, loudness, and subsonic filter are stuck and the CD player opens closes and starts but soon after ejects the CD.

I am in the Windsor area.

Is any of this worth the effort of posting?

Thanks

Joe

Hi Joe. I tried to assemble a set of Dimensia a few years ago. The amp and EQ were a pain and we never did get them working properly. The speakers were made by Onkyo and sounded pretty good, actually. The original remote was very difficult to find, but my universal remote would do on/off and volume.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:01 pm 

I forget. What was the question? Sorry, I thought you meant dementia. ^^^Maybe RCA was fvcking with us old people?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:35 am 

If you do the hifishark search you see the same el cheapo items listed many many times.
With the Kijiji ads like some said there is no way of knowing if the items ever did sell from the multiple times listed.

If you click on the CAM ads none of the items were ever sold and the ads were expired or off.
You could try sell the items on Kijiji however I would not want any Kijiji buyers coming anywhere near my house.

To make a long story short RCA Dementia items are not worth very much and are not worth the time selling them.

Their best bet is to list the items for free on craigs and put the items outside or just put the items at the curb with a free sign.
Another good idea is to call up good will and give the items away or maybe your next door neighbor is having a garage sale and
with the sale money order a pizza and buy a six pack.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 5:08 am 

I am not sure if the prices are really relevant now but I sold an MGE160 eq for $40 in 2014, MAT110 tuner for $25 also in 2014 and an MSA200 for $60 in 2015. They actually sounded decent together but I found the tuner to be overdriven with the powerful radio stations locally but tuned the Universities better than many of my other ones. I think the RCA brand gives it the reason to be looked over but they seemed sonically on par with the Integra and Denon I have from the same time period, granted they were all about 25 years old.
J

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 5:49 am 
Premium User

The TV will be the really hard one to unload. No one wants the 200 lb behemoths any longer. These days you usually have to pay someone to take them away. The audio gear, with the issues described, probably won't be worth much either. Personally I'd give it away, or advertise it in the free section of Kijiji and then put it in the alley with a free/works sign on it as you'd probably have to answer a hundred e-mails or calls over many weeks just to realize $100 out of it.

Ariston RD11 Superieur, RB250 & Tecnoweight, DV20X2H, LCR MkIII, Dacmagic100, Exposure 2010S2, AS Statement SEs, AS Testaments, PSB GT1s

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 5:56 am 

Jaxom wrote:
I am not sure if the prices are really relevant now but I sold an MGE160 eq for $40 in 2014, MAT110 tuner for $25 also in 2014 and an MSA200 for $60 in 2015. They actually sounded decent together but I found the tuner to be overdriven with the powerful radio stations locally but tuned the Universities better than many of my other ones. I think the RCA brand gives it the reason to be looked over but they seemed sonically on par with the Integra and Denon I have from the same time period, granted they were all about 25 years old.
J

Which brings me to my point...broken RCA cd players are worthless, old RCA TVs are worthless
Play Santa and give the stuff away to the goodwill

In the summer time I was throwing some junk into the recycling bin and there was binner there on one of my trips.
I started talking to this down and out guy who was grabbing some of the stuff...wasnt that long ago when he had seen better days
Anyways I asked him if he wanted a center channel speaker

Now I could have sold the speaker on CAM or Craigs for probably $100. I couldnt be bothered to ship nor did I want some loser
coming to my place. So I figured this guy could use a couple bucks and I get a whole bunch of karma points
The center speaker was a Paradigm CC370 V4

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:27 am 

darcman wrote:
I started talking to this down and out guy who was grabbing some of the stuff...wasnt that long ago when he had seen better days...So I figured this guy could use a couple bucks and I get a whole bunch of karma points.

Good kharma is priceless. :D

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:57 pm 

Thanks Old School

The site is kind of useless then if it lists asking prices and not sold prices. At least for vinyl there is indeed a site that shows sold, date and price.

It's actually pretty useful, but you have to keep in mind what it is and how it works. As others have said, it's a world wide aggregator of hi-fi listings, which is useful in itself as it saves you going to the other sites separately, and could point you to a site you would have missed otherwise.

The bottom line though, is that there are very few sites other than EBay where you can get an idea of the actual selling price of an item. Experience helps, but researching this sort of thing isn't always easy.