Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Thu Dec 13, 2018 11:39 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum rules

The Cables forum is intended for those who believe cables make a difference in how their systems sound. If you do not believe in cables please do not post in any threads that are discussing specific cables or asking for help with cables, and limit your participation to threads where the OP intends to debate about cables. Posts which are argumentative, offensive, or break our rules may be deleted. Repeat offenders will be banned from posting in this forum.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:10 am 

Anyone have a recommendation for a good toslink digital cable for around $50? Connecting a satellite receiver to a dac/preamp. If you don't believe in cable differences please don't reply, I'm looking for recommendations, not another cable debate. Thanks all.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:39 am 

Do you have to use optical? At that price point they all use plastic instead of glass fibres and the sound quality suffers. A coax would sound much better at the price.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:17 am 

I’ve had excellent results using Lifatec toslink cables. They’re glass fibre rather than plastic. Not $50, but not crazy expensive either.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:23 am 

Thanks, unfortunately I'm stuck with toslink as the satellite box doesn't have a coax pcm audio out. I'll check into Lifatec.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:01 am 

I have a Wireworld glass fibre optic. Supernova 5+ It is 4-5 hundred new. I think I paid less than $200 used price. I also have a $40 Sony plastic Tos. It sounds absolutely horrible in comparison. For an extra $150 the Wireworld is a revelation. You get what you pay for, usually.
Get glass, not plastic. I remember at one point when I was searching I saw a company that made an inexpensive glass toss, but I cant remember the name. (could have been lifatec) Perhaps an older model Wireworld glass tos can be had on the cheap. CAM, Audiogon, and Google are your friends...

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 2:15 pm 

Silly question perhaps, but how can you tell the difference berween glass and plastic. I looked at a few on CAM but no indication. Thanks

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 3:20 pm 

Do not buy one shorter than 6 feet . This is important so I've been told . And then it was proven to me .

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:28 pm 

Quote:
Do not buy one shorter than 6 feet . This is important so I've been told . And then it was proven to me .

Care to elaborate?

-- 06 Dec 2018 01:28 --

Quote:

Care to elaborate?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:41 pm 

I bought one of these and I'm pretty happy with it. Fits your budget nicely. http://www.sysconcept.ca/product_info.p ... cts_id=364

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 7:18 pm 

Recently purchased Audioquest Carbon. Thrice your budget but can you really put a price tag on good, clean sound?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 7:20 pm 

I demoed glass vs. plastic Toslink vs. a good 1.5m coax, and the glass came closer to the coax than the plastic did. So my vote is for glass if you can swing it.

Now glass Toslink cables are not cheap, but there was one available on Amazon Canada for a while at a price under fifty bucks. That one seems not to be available any more, snif :cry: , but there is a similar one still around on Amazon dot com. I have in fact ordered one to try, but haven't got it yet.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 7:21 pm 

Using optical cables for your digital connections may help minimize susceptibility of coupling RF noise into the line and reduce loss for long runs especially 10 feet or more RFI and ground loops are not possible . I was in the Nordost cable demonstration room at the Toronto CES . The longer optical cable was always better than a 1m even if they were not of equivalent cost or quality . Sorry I have no better explanation .

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:02 pm 

1st question is how good can one actually make satellite audio sound, I do install of both copper and fiber cable and networking, glass is better than plastic that is a fact but what the companies in the audio realm charge for fiber cables using glass is beyond ridiculous but hey that's most things in audio right haha, so other than plastic verse glass for the core the only thing that affects light is light. Dirty ends can be an issue but not so much in audio compared to high speed networks. I wouldn't sweat it too much in an expensive optical cable for your satellite box.

I think the best thing I ever heard from a salesman one time when I was looking at actual toslink cables in a store(which I won't name), he brought one to me that was crazy expensive and began to tell me how it was shielded so other cables and power cabling wouldn't affect it :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 5:55 am 

Quote:
1st question is how good can one actually make satellite audio sound, I do install of both copper and fiber cable and networking, glass is better than plastic that is a fact but what the companies in the audio realm charge for fiber cables using glass is beyond ridiculous but hey that's most things in audio right haha, so other than plastic verse glass for the core the only thing that affects light is light. Dirty ends can be an issue but not so much in audio compared to high speed networks. I wouldn't sweat it too much in an expensive optical cable for your satellite box.

Excellent points. The output of my satellite box is limited to 48/20 pcm in any case, so no true hi rez sound to begin with. I totally agree with the superiority of glass over plastic however. The Lifatec mentioned above is $99 US for a 3 foot length, it's the cheapest glass cable I've found, the next two cheapest (new) are WW Supernova 7 and DH Labs Master Glass, both listing at $199 US for 1 meter. FYI I found a thread on Agon where one poster did a direct comparison of the WW and Lifatec and preferred the Lifatec. The thread also notes that glass cables were much better sounding than plastic. Looks like Lifatec for me! Thanks to all for the great input.