Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:01 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 8:16 pm 

So, someone on here is selling an "ultra low frequency generator". I'd never heard of this so I did some googling. Basically they generate "Schuman resonances and harmonics", so like approx 7.83 Hz. As far as I can tell you just plug them into a wall and they generate sub audible sound waves that people are swearing adds something to the sound. There are cheaper and ones on Amazon for like $50, but the better ones are much more.

I'm just wondering if anyone uses one of these things. Is there any truth to this? Seems so wacky. I know the whole idea of Schuman resonances having any effect on anyone is generally hokum, but I figured I'd ask.

https://www.lotusgroupusa.com/rr-888-ul ... rator.html

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 8:55 pm 

They don’t generate sound waves but electromagnetic waves, as far as I know. I have Acoustic Revive’s RR-888 device in my systems and I don’t really hear the difference when I switch it off or on. But I keep it because I like how my system sounds now and I don’t want to change anything.

Rega RP6 + Dynavector 10x5 > Simaudio Moon Neo 310LP

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 10:36 pm 

Seller claims to have several of these that he's keeping. Gotta wonder what improvement is realized with a better power supply and an audiophile fuse which, according to him, makes a difference. Is he daft? Or are the rest of us daft for NOT owning/using one (or more) of the Acoustic Revive devices? Seller has also listed several other tweaks of questionable benefit (IMHO). Perhaps his OCD is working overtime?

If the Acoustic Revive really works as described, wouldn't the manufacturer/distributor make sure audio salons have this in their showroom, where it would be easy to hear any benefit when the unit is switched on and off? Makes me wonder wtf.

Herbie Hancock is an enthusiastic owner/user of several of these things, according to Acoustic Revive. Or is he?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 4:40 am 

Acoustic Revive is a pretty mainstream brand in Japan, albeit pricey. Be interested to know what you think if you do take the plunge AR has all manner of crazy tweaks, as well as cables, power strips etc. They must be doing something right to be sold in the mainstream stores in Japan i guess

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:48 pm 

I'm such a fool for this stuff. I probably will end up ordering one off Amazon - just the cheap one. Won't be this month though, my audio budget is well exhausted.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 6:38 pm 

be very curious to hear about the results if you do, I looked at all their CD demagnitizers, cable elevators etc. and thought who buys this stuff but I guess we all hear and think differently so if their products improve somebody else's listening experience well fair play to them

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 7:35 pm 

I have the Acoustic Revive R-77 and it does as intended it relaxes the musical presentation.Placement is critical,ideally between both speakers at same level as your listening position.Noticeable improvement with Electrostats,not so much with conventional speakers in my system.I have done blind listening evaluations with the assistance of my trusty left winger switching on and off indiscriminately and on each occasion the on position is the preferred alternative.Maybe that's just my golden ears.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:51 pm 

JasonGR wrote:
I'm such a fool for this stuff. I probably will end up ordering one off Amazon - just the cheap one. Won't be this month though, my audio budget is well exhausted.

If you buy the fake or clone products from ebay, Amazon etc., and find minimal improvement, just don't come back here and say the Acoustic Revive stuffs are snake oil. My friends have done that and paid their price.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 4:09 am 

Golden ears, now those i would like to try! I wonder if i can get a demo of the R-77 next time i am in Japan, as i say, you see them a lot, but i didnt think a 'best buy' style store was the best place to audition. The price on Amazon Japan is $350, not cheap if you find it does nothing for you!
P.s. Just looked out of curiousity, Seems they would ship it to you from Japan, hope i am allowed to say this! I have no affiliation with the seller, but i did buy a few CD's off them.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:05 am 

Heres an inside tip.. Schumann resonators are commonly used by the New Agers. You can find one in that market for $100 to $150 with a loop antenna that will do the same thing as the AR. In fact, I bought a schumann generator controller board for $15 from China off Ebay. I simply made my own loop antenna, and there it was, same as the $150 thing I bought from the New Age website Remember most tweaks are things that come from other industries that we repackage and quadruple in price..

Shumann, and other similar tweaks are a slippery slope. My personal experience was that I found out how incredibly strong our personal bias affects our perception. If we expect to hear something , there it is. In other words if you believe the resonator is there. even if its been taken out and you had no idea it was gone, the results will be the same (in your perception) as if it were actually there. Old Teddy Boy and his SR circus use a schumann resonator along with waveguides placed all around the room, which will actually all sync up and resonate together totally changing things up in the room. This is for playtime HiFiif thats what you like to do, because you can throw accuracy out the window..

By the way, this in no way represents the opinion of Verastarr, this is me speaking personally.

Cheers and happy listening !

Mike

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:10 am 

I always believe what my ears say not hearsay.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 1:17 pm 

dts-99 wrote:
JasonGR wrote:

If you buy the fake or clone products from ebay, Amazon etc., and find minimal improvement, just don't come back here and say the Acoustic Revive stuffs are snake oil. My friends have done that and paid their price.

Yeah, I probably won't bother anyway. I'd try a legit one, but only with a return policy.

-- 20 Nov 2018 21:25 --

Verastarr wrote:
Heres an inside tip.. Schumann resonators are commonly used by the New Agers. You can find one in that market for $100 to $150 with a loop antenna that will do the same thing as the AR. In fact, I bought a schumann generator controller board for $15 from China off Ebay. I simply made my own loop antenna, and there it was, same as the $150 thing I bought from the New Age website Remember most tweaks are things that come from other industries that we repackage and quadruple in price..

Shumann, and other similar tweaks are a slippery slope. My personal experience was that I found out how incredibly strong our personal bias affects our perception. If we expect to hear something , there it is. In other words if you believe the resonator is there. even if its been taken out and you had no idea it was gone, the results will be the same (in your perception) as if it were actually there. Old Teddy Boy and his SR circus use a schumann resonator along with waveguides placed all around the room, which will actually all sync up and resonate together totally changing things up in the room. This is for playtime HiFiif thats what you like to do, because you can throw accuracy out the window..

By the way, this in no way represents the opinion of Verastarr, this is me speaking personally.

Cheers and happy listening !

Mike

Psychology is such an important part of the hobby. Which is not to say something is fake or not. But I know I enjoy music more when I invest time money and energy - and that nobody will ever hear that in the music. Only I do. t's one of the reasons analog is coming back so strongly, the medium counts for a lot. That said, I'm pretty in tune with my setup and have been as disappointed by upgrades as I have been amazed by things other people said wouldn't work. My power conditioner, for example, made a world of difference. But good luck convincing anyone of that, lol.

All part of the fun. I keep an open mind.