Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:53 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 4:42 pm 

I am buying a set of older Model 1 Signature speakers from a stereo shop I frequent. Only thing is one of the tweeters has been replaced with a not exact replacement. He said he got one of the tweeters from a Totem center channel. Looking at it, it looks like it could be from the Rainmaker center channel. The reason Im asking is the one tweeter does not have the blue dot on it, while the other one does. Im trying to contact Totem, but they are closed today. Doing some reading, it seems they want you to go through a dealer anyway for replacement parts. Last price on tweeters I saw it at $270 for one. Do I need to replace both tweeters for a matching set? Or can I get away with just getting the one tweeter replaced? These speakers were demo model speakers, and Im not sure how many hours were put on them. They could even be new for all I know. I can then resell the old tweeters to re-coupe some of my cost back. Again should I buy one or two replacement tweeters?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 6:01 pm 
Premium User

It's true that Totem sells replacement drivers through their Dealer network, and the resulting markup makes the cost very high.

I believe the Totem model 1 uses an off the shelf tweeter from Seas, so you should be able to source one elsewhere. I would start the search by contacting Solen: https://solen.ca/

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 6:06 pm 

Solen might even have a replacement diaphragm. he as many in stock.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 6:13 pm 

Well the Totem tweeters were modified from original state. If I ordered a replacement tweeter from Solen, it would be no different then what they already installed in the speaker for a replacement. The magic didn't quite seem there with this set of speakers, so Im guessing the tweeter may be partly to blame for that.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 6:17 pm 
Premium User

A dealer can get you replacement tweeters. As electrafixion stated there is going to be a hefty markup involved. It looks like an older Seas H400 tweeter, not sure what modifications were made for Totem.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 6:24 pm 

many times the modification, is only esthetic, like a different faceplate. or part #

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 6:56 pm 
Premium User

Pop the tweeter out and see what it says on it. Here'a link to some pictures of Seas tweeters that are quite similar, and you'll be able to see how Seas labels their products with model (part number) information:
http://www.modifikasi.com/showthread.ph ... ks-modcom-)

-- 18 Nov 2018 21:06 --

And here's a pair of used Seas H400 tweeters for sale from one of Yankee neighbours:

https://www.usaudiomart.com/details/649 ... in-norway/

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 8:37 pm 

I owned Totem model 1,s for a few years, very nice speaker if you use tube gear to tame that tweeter, if it was me I would change both tweeters to a high end soft dome, I know it would change the sound but it would be interesting to hear as I did not have tubes at that time had to sell them as listening fatigue set in fast.Totem will have the tweeter I have heard if you buy them used not from a dealer they will not supply any parts.Again very nice speaker I found about 12 inches from the back wall really improved the bass response I had 150 watts per side into them and they were amazing how much bigger they sounded than they are.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 8:51 pm 

When I heard the first set of these speakers, it was the tweeter I liked the most about the Model 1S. I tend to like speakers on the bright side, so they open up in soundstage more. So these speakers were just what I wanted. B&W speakers tend to be bright too, which is why I also like their speakers.

I'll see what the Totem dealer says about parts tomorrow. Its still cheaper to get these older speakers fixed then to fork out real money for the new set of these models. Im still saving money that way.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:55 pm 

Obviously it's up to you what you do to your speakers, but keeping the components as original as possible makes for an easier and more lucrative sale in the future if you want to move on to something different.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 4:20 pm 

Braxus wrote:
Well the Totem tweeters were modified from original state. If I ordered a replacement tweeter from Solen, it would be no different then what they already installed in the speaker for a replacement. The magic didn't quite seem there with this set of speakers, so Im guessing the tweeter may be partly to blame for that.

Totem Model 1 Signature's tweeters are manufactured by SEAS and the woofer by Dynaudio. If I were you I would replace the bad tweeter with the correct part number from Totem. Don't compromise the quality of its sound by second-guessing the tweeter replacement part.