Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:23 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 4:41 pm 

Hello,
I'm considering buying a pair of Monitor Audio Silver 8's
When I read the Monitor Audio web page about these speakers they say they are a 90db efficient speaker
But then they say they recommend a 80 -200 watt power amp
I don't understand why a 90db speaker would need a minimum of 80 watts to power it ??
I have run many 90db speakers with a 50 watt amp
Am I missing something, Maybe it's because there are more driver's in this speakers cabinet
I would be powering it with a 70 watt vintage Sansui amp
Any input would be appreciated
Thanks

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 4:57 pm 
Premium User

I used a Hegel H80 with Silver 8's in my bedroom setup. At no point did I feel they were underpowered. I believe the H80 is rated around 75 wpc @ 8 ohms and 125 wpc @ 4 ohms.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 5:10 pm 

James_W wrote:
I used a Hegel H80 with Silver 8's in my bedroom setup. At no point did I feel they were underpowered. I believe the H80 is rated around 75 wpc @ 8 ohms and 125 wpc @ 4 ohms.

The silver 8's may be like the RC70's I'm running in my TV system. 50 per side drives them fine and sounds good but 200 grabs them by the throat and transforms them.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 5:16 pm 
Premium User

There wasn't a big difference on the 14B Cubed I was using at the time, before the MA's were moved to the bedroom. I found them a bit fatiguing so I never cranked the speakers to further explore their capabilities.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 4:23 am 

Thanks guy's

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 8:30 am 

markmiata wrote:
Hello,
I'm considering buying a pair of Monitor Audio Silver 8's
When I read the Monitor Audio web page about these speakers they say they are a 90db efficient speaker
But then they say they recommend a 80 -200 watt power amp
I don't understand why a 90db speaker would need a minimum of 80 watts to power it ??
I have run many 90db speakers with a 50 watt amp
Am I missing something, Maybe it's because there are more driver's in this speakers cabinet
I would be powering it with a 70 watt vintage Sansui amp
Any input would be appreciated
Thanks

Current flow and damping. Low power amps cannot drive the current that they need. Also higher wattage amps offer the current damping needed for proper resolution. Some speakers do not require the power and damping and are known to be compatible with lower output amps (like tube amps)....many modern speakers like the current and damping of higher power....which provides more accurate and precise bass response and the headroom we all search for.....

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:59 am 

James_W wrote:

...Silver 8s in a bedroom system.....

hat's off!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:06 am 

The impedance curve drops a touch below 4 ohms at well used frequencies. IMO, the extra power is intended to cover these current demands. It's really just a bit more power. If the 50 watt amp can do 100 into 4 ohms, you will have no problems.

https://www.stereophile.com/content/monitor-audio-silver-8-loudspeaker-measurements

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 1:07 pm 

Hi,

I think Erik is right. The factory specs are just compensating for a dip by the speakers into 4 ohm territory. Not all audio amps are comfortable at 3 or 4 ohms, but the bigger iron models that are in the 100-200 watt category are all 'usually' spec'd to handle lower impedances, much like pro-audio amps.

Frankly, in a small space, I think, given their efficiency, that you could drive them quite nicely with a 15 watt Leben tube amp. But in a 500 sq. ft room, you might need big iron.

Cheers,
David Neice