Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Tue Dec 11, 2018 6:29 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Calling all Oppo owners
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 4:14 pm 

Hi. I have owned two Oppo universal disc players over the past number of years primarily for the purpose of playing music. I love the fact that Oppo players will play virtually every type of audio disc, from SACD to DVD audio to DTS to DVD-R discs. I have even used the Oppo to play multi-channel DSD recordings downloaded on the internet which I have then burned to a DVD-R disc!

It has now become common knowledge that Oppo is in the process of or has ceased the manufacture of its players. Wanting to have a backup player to my BDP-103 sent me searching on the internet for any other player having similar capabilities. I am pleased to announce that one has been found: the Sony UBP-X800 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray Player. Although primarily intended for use as a video player, it has the capability of playing all the types of high resolution audio discs mentioned above. It has been well reviewed and also doesn't cost a fortune. I thought it would be useful this information with my fellow CAMers.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:23 pm 

I was going to purchase a Sony UPB- X800 a few weeks ago and saw the Yamaha BDP-A1060 and bought that instead.
The Sony is probably a great unit as I have a cheaper Sony blu ray that I was happy with, I just wanted to upgrade the video and audio. The Yamaha on the other hand just looked to be better built unit that plays pretty much everything too, only that it upscales to 4k and not a true 4k player like the Sony.

Had to upgrade to 4k TV as HDMI was not compatible with older Sony Bravia HDTV. I imagine same story with Sony UPB- X800.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:13 pm 

well you are both wrong, none of those 2 player are close to what the oppo can do. first sony have 2 hdmi out
and the Yamaha only have 1 but the oppo not only it as 2 out but also one input , something both player fail to have.
also if you buy a bluray player its first duty is to play multi channel music , or movies.
well none of those 2 player have built in 7.1 output for not only bluray but sacd, and dvd audio playback multi channel with built in bass management..
so they might be 2 good player, but both fail very short of what the oppo can do.
I have to say that the Yamaha as a balance output , wich is a nice feature.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:50 pm 

Thanks to both of you for your replies. I guess the point I was trying to make is that the Sony makes an excellent backup player, if at some point my BDP-103 fails and I can't get my hands on a replacement. The Oppo likely is the superior player in terms of its features but since these no longer are being made, at some point the only ones available will be on the used market.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:59 pm 

zon001 wrote:
well you are both wrong, none of those 2 player are close to what the oppo can do. first sony have 2 hdmi out
and the Yamaha only have 1 but the oppo not only it as 2 out but also one input , something both player fail to have.
also if you buy a bluray player its first duty is to play multi channel music , or movies.
well none of those 2 player have built in 7.1 output for not only bluray but sacd, and dvd audio playback multi channel with built in bass management..
so they might be 2 good player, but both fail very short of what the oppo can do.

Actually, from an audiophile point of view, the Yamaha BDA1060 is a screaming bargain if you can find one. I actually sold my Oppo 105 ( sold here on CAM, check my feedback) and purchased the Yam. It is every bit as enjoyable as the Oppo, including as a stand-alone player and as a transport. I use a Cambridge 851N dac with it, just as with my 105. Plus the Yamaha has a unique feature (called CD Mode) slows-down RPM speed to cd speed standard (you can actually hear the whirling slowing down)for better error correction. Smart. Plus XLR outputs (missing on the 103 but included in the 105). Love that the Yam has XLR even at this low price. Even the most recent Oppo 203 has this missing. I don't care for dual HDMI, heck I don't even use a single one. This player is audio only for me and has all the input/outputs needed, plays most formats, includind sacd and -bonus! DVD Audio (not mentionned on the unit but it does play it!). And mutichannel 7.1 is nowhere in my future, I am a two channel pure stereo person period. I paid around $ 350.00 for mine, it sold in the USA for anywhere from 200 to 300 more! And in the U.K, around $1,000 in our currency. Go figure!
Nothing touches this at the price. I did the 105/Yam comparo before letting go of the 105. Oppo had a more robust build quality of course, but it was 5X the price...That Yam is pretty special, but recently discontinued and harder to find now, and the few left are commanding more $ unfortunately.

https://hometheaterhifi.com/reviews/vid ... er-review/

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:49 pm 

For those owning an oppo 204 or 205 , are there any android apps able to control these units. I have a friend who has the 205 and he wants to attach an hard drive with music on it. I tried using the oppo app but it does not work. Any suggestions? Sorry for high jacking the thread.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:26 am 

if it still have that hdmi input, you could plug it in there. that input is convenient for upconverting 4 k picture from your dish or other media.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:58 am 

"I am pleased to announce that one has been found: the Sony UBP-X800 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray Player. Although primarily intended for use as a video player, it has the capability of playing all the types of high resolution audio discs mentioned above. It has been well reviewed and also doesn't cost a fortune. I thought it would be useful this information with my fellow CAMers. "

This is good to know - can you confirm that the Sony can do DVD-Audio. I was always under the impression that Sony didn't do DVD-A?

I own 2 OPPO's as well, the 83SE and the 203 (mainly for surround music DVD-A, SACD etc)- love them both but was thinking about a backup and I wont pay the stupid $$ people want for the OPPOs these days

Thanx for the heads-up

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 6:32 am 

milag wrote:
zon001 wrote:

Actually, from an audiophile point of view, the Yamaha BDA1060 is a screaming bargain if you can find one. I actually sold my Oppo 105 ( sold here on CAM, check my feedback) and purchased the Yam. It is every bit as enjoyable as the Oppo, including as a stand-alone player and as a transport. I use a Cambridge 851N dac with it, just as with my 105. Plus the Yamaha has a unique feature (called CD Mode) slows-down RPM speed to cd speed standard (you can actually hear the whirling slowing down)for better error correction. Smart. Plus XLR outputs (missing on the 103 but included in the 105). Love that the Yam has XLR even at this low price. Even the most recent Oppo 203 has this missing. I don't care for dual HDMI, heck I don't even use a single one. This player is audio only for me and has all the input/outputs needed, plays most formats, includind sacd and -bonus! DVD Audio (not mentionned on the unit but it does play it!). And mutichannel 7.1 is nowhere in my future, I am a two channel pure stereo person period. I paid around $ 350.00 for mine, it sold in the USA for anywhere from 200 to 300 more! And in the U.K, around $1,000 in our currency. Go figure!
Nothing touches this at the price. I did the 105/Yam comparo before letting go of the 105. Oppo had a more robust build quality of course, but it was 5X the price...That Yam is pretty special, but recently discontinued and harder to find now, and the few left are commanding more $ unfortunately.

https://hometheaterhifi.com/reviews/vid ... er-review/

Forgot to include that the Yamaha has a basic, but perfectly serviceable app to control your BDA1060 with your cell phone.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 7:47 am 

Well I'm glad to see that my original post has engendered some healthy discussion. In reply to ZMAN, yes, the Sony does play DVD-audio discs. Regarding the Yamaha: I had actually gone looking for this unit but couldn't find it anywhere except on EBay at an inflated price, which is why I chose the Sony. The Yamaha definitely is a good player, designed as it appears to be for audiophiles. However, the Sony has the added advantage of being able to play 4K video discs, if this is of interest. A quick tip: the Sony currently can be had for $300 on amazon.ca and your local Best Buy store will match this price. I feel this is a good deal, given its capabilities.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:11 am 

colinguenther wrote:
I had actually gone looking for this unit but couldn't find it anywhere except on EBay at an inflated price, which is why I chose the Sony.

That's because the Yamaha player recommended here has been discontinued. Some stores might still have a few in stock but otherwise you will not find them.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:07 am 

zon001 wrote:
if it still have that hdmi input, you could plug it in there. that input is convenient for upconverting 4 k picture from your dish or other media.

The 4k TV I purchased upscales to 4k which is why I didn't need to upgrade graphics card to 4k on computer as the TV does it, does this for cable TV as well.

Just be sure 4k TV upscales when you purchase one. IMO don't get Hisense brand, its cheaply made and screen in easily damaged rendering TV useless. You have to be very careful not to damage the screen on these big TV's. It can be a challenge getting it out of the box and set up without cracking the screen.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 1:56 pm 

Digital Doc wrote:
zon001 wrote:

The 4k TV I purchased upscales to 4k which is why I didn't need to upgrade graphics card to 4k on computer as the TV does it, does this for cable TV as well.

Just be sure 4k TV upscales when you purchase one. IMO don't get Hisense brand, its cheaply made and screen in easily damaged rendering TV useless. You have to be very careful not to damage the screen on these big TV's. It can be a challenge getting it out of the box and set up without cracking the screen.

All fixed pixel displays, plasma, LCD, LED, OLED have a native resolution. This is the resolution all video played on the display must be displayed at. They will all scale any input source that is not natively a match to its own native resolution to its own native resolution whether it be lower or higher than it's own native resolution.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 5:14 pm 

good sound wrote:
zon001 wrote:
All fixed pixel displays, plasma, LCD, LED, OLED have a native resolution. This is the resolution all video played on the display must be displayed at. They will all scale any input source that is not natively a match to its own native resolution to its own native resolution whether it be lower or higher than it's own native resolution.

Completely true... But as usual, not all up converters are created equal. So it can be useful to compare.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 3:29 pm 

dcrooks wrote:
good sound wrote:
zon001 wrote:

Completely true... But as usual, not all up converters are created equal. So it can be useful to compare.

Its exceedingly useful to compare, ESPECIALLY when it comes to Chroma upscaling (there is no avoiding that unless you happen to have access to DCPs or otherwise non retail, masters).

I have yet to see a hardware player or TV that handles both image and chroma upscales better than a PC with a high end GPU and MadVR. That's the most future proof method with the most granular control.

If you want UHD disc playback on a PC, DeUHD or MakeMKV (with keys you can find easily) are your best bets. There will obviously be no menu support.

Newish intel or AMD processor, 8 - 16 GB ram, and a GTX 1060 is the hardware you need. If you care about discs (which are objectively stupid), DeUHD and MakeMKV support a number of non 'UHD certified' or whatever its called BD Drives.