Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Thu Dec 13, 2018 8:36 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum rules

The Cables forum is intended for those who believe cables make a difference in how their systems sound. If you do not believe in cables please do not post in any threads that are discussing specific cables or asking for help with cables, and limit your participation to threads where the OP intends to debate about cables. Posts which are argumentative, offensive, or break our rules may be deleted. Repeat offenders will be banned from posting in this forum.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 7:23 am 

My system had been going along very well and was pleased with it’s performance. Then I got the urge to take a look at the cables to see if any improvement could be had. The signal path was my focus. Although they were relatively good and served me well, I thought that if I changed one at a time I would be able to compare. First up was the XLR digital between the CD drive and the dac that I switched with rca digital; immediately there was a big improvement. Since I needed that cable in a second system, I ended up buying a Cardas Clear digital that has made my system really perform to it’s potential. To complete the job, I went with Cardas Golden reference for the amp and pre sections. I am glad that I undertook this exercise; what a difference. I did not realize how much I was missing out all this time. Power cables are Gutwire and speaker cables are Van den Hul; no need or intent to change.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 7:37 am 

Thanks for sharing!

leo1 wrote:
My system had been going along very well and was pleased with it’s performance. Then I got the urge to take a look at the cables to see if any improvement could be had. The signal path was my focus. Although they were relatively good and served me well, I thought that if I changed one at a time I would be able to compare. First up was the XLR digital between the CD drive and the dac that I switched with rca digital; immediately there was a big improvement. Since I needed that cable in a second system, I ended up buying a Cardas Clear digital that has made my system really perform to it’s potential. To complete the job, I went with Cardas Golden reference for the amp and pre sections. I am glad that I undertook this exercise; what a difference. I did not realize how much I was missing out all this time. Power cables are Gutwire and speaker cables are Van den Hul; no need or intent to change.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:28 am 

leo1 wrote:
I did not realize how much I was missing out all this time. Power cables are Gutwire and speaker cables are Van den Hul; no need or intent to change.

How do you know this?
That's prolly what u thought about the xlr/rca too...

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:17 am 

I just bought a couple of cables of Denis (a retired CAM member - synsurd is his CAM name - that makes them at his house) a few weeks ago and I have to share this story with others.

I originally wanted to buy a Cardas Golden Reference RCA to replace my MIT Terminator 2 between my Rogue Audio Tempest III and my OPPO-205 because I was experiencing a hardness in the upper mids which I tought the Cardas GR could help fix. Then I saw an ad on CAM which intrigued me for a handcrafted DSA Silver Storm RCA. I contacted Denis and explain my problem along with what equipment I was using. He replied with a very comprehensive email (after researching my equipment online) suggesting I try his Open Harmony Power Cable along with the DSA Silver Storm and also a $10 wall receptacle. Total cost: $340. I was prepared to pay $700 for a used GR so I thought why not.

To make a long story short, I pulled the trigger and I am very pleased I did. Within a few hours, the hardness was almost gone and now after a few weeks my system never sounded better (Digital and Vinyl). I have no affiliation with Denis but I tought I would share a very positive experience. My better half is even more impressed than I am, she cannot stop listening to music - which is perfect!!!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:00 am 

BinkyTheCat wrote:
leo1 wrote:
I did not realize how much I was missing out all this time. Power cables are Gutwire and speaker cables are Van den Hul; no need or intent to change.

How do you know this?
That's prolly what u thought about the xlr/rca too...

I have tried other cables in the past in those two areas and I have settled on the one used thus far; can’t get much better that Gutwire for power cables and Van den Hul Inspiration as speaker cables.I have tried a few others and always gone back to VDH. I personally think that the most benefit is reaped by investing in the signal path cables.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 2:09 pm 

As for posters being rude to the OP, I think it’s just more of the passive aggressive treatment that cable owners get around here regularly. Too bad about that.

But I’ve had cables that made a difference as well. Audioquest rocket 44, Morrow 5, and Totem Tress to name a few. The key is that you need good quality cables all around or else the benefits can be minimized by the junky Monoprice, amazon or generic bargain brand cables in the chain.

Right now my system has never sounded better, with actual 3D imaging, when it’s in the recording.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 4:19 pm 

TLEGRES wrote:
I just bought a couple of cables of Denis (a retired CAM member - synsurd is his CAM name - that makes them at his house) a few weeks ago and I have to share this story with others.

I originally wanted to buy a Cardas Golden Reference RCA to replace my MIT Terminator 2 between my Rogue Audio Tempest III and my OPPO-205 because I was experiencing a hardness in the upper mids which I tought the Cardas GR could help fix. Then I saw an ad on CAM which intrigued me for a handcrafted DSA Silver Storm RCA. I contacted Denis and explain my problem along with what equipment I was using. He replied with a very comprehensive email (after researching my equipment online) suggesting I try his Open Harmony Power Cable along with the DSA Silver Storm and also a $10 wall receptacle. Total cost: $340. I was prepared to pay $700 for a used GR so I thought why not.

To make a long story short, I pulled the trigger and I am very pleased I did. Within a few hours, the hardness was almost gone and now after a few weeks my system never sounded better (Digital and Vinyl). I have no affiliation with Denis but I tought I would share a very positive experience. My better half is even more impressed than I am, she cannot stop listening to music - which is perfect!!!

I am using his Power Cable with my integrated amp and very happy with it. Going to be getting his IC cable next.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 4:26 pm 

I agree. The biggest difference that I have heard with my system was when I replaced my 15 years old MIT cables to Transparent Audio interconnects and speakers cables. Especially the Transparent Audio MusicWave Ultra speakers cables which made my speakers sounding more well balanced than before.