Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:37 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours


Forum rules


The Cables forum is intended for those who believe cables make a difference in how their systems sound. If you do not believe in cables please do not post in any threads that are discussing specific cables or asking for help with cables, and limit your participation to threads where the OP intends to debate about cables. Posts which are argumentative, offensive, or break our rules may be deleted. Repeat offenders will be banned from posting in this forum.



Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 103 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:44 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2016 5:44 pm
Posts: 20
Location: Mississauga, ON, CA
Looking to upgrade my digital interconnects (coaxial) from the amp to my CD player. Any recommendations on which reasonably priced cable I should use? I was looking at AudioQuest Cinnamon Coax cable..just wondering if anyone here has used it before?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 7:11 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:03 pm
Posts: 9
Location: Richmond Hill, ON, CA
Bank whole: Blue Jeans Cable Belden 1694A: https://www.bluejeanscable.com/store/digital-audio/index.htm

Bank rattled: Wireworld Silver Starlight 7: https://store.wireworldcable.com/collec ... =985660007


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 7:11 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Jan 28, 2005 11:09 am
Posts: 546
Location: Sault Ste. Marie, ON, CA
Very pleased with my Furutech 1.5 m. cable,well constructed at the price point.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 7:14 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Sep 08, 2014 7:22 am
Posts: 201
Location: Guelph, ON, CA
Amplifier Surgery off eBay
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/5FT-SILVER-PLATED-OFC-DIGITAL-COAX-RCA-AUDIOPHILE-AUDIO-CABLE-S-PDIF-SPDIF-USA/202067501075?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

Sold a Nordost Silver Shadow for this cable.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 7:43 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Dec 07, 2004 7:16 am
Posts: 538
Location: Hamilton, ON, CA
Priyo wrote:
Looking to upgrade my digital interconnects (coaxial) from the amp to my CD player. Any recommendations on which reasonably priced cable I should use? I was looking at AudioQuest Cinnamon Coax cable..just wondering if anyone here has used it before?


Post edited by mod to remove banned content. PM sent.

Good question, regarding what's good; I recently discovered (in my set-up) the available AES/EBU (XLR 110-ohm balanced) to be significantly superior. If that option exists for you, consider exploring AES/EBU/Balanced digital cables. Actually (come to think of it), AQ 'Cinnamon' AES/EBU is the first XLR-style cable used -and it is quite nice.

It you wish to experiment (or simply save some money), look for a RCA-end (coax) 75-ohm video cable for digital duty.

pj
P.S> I just received a BNC (75-ohm) WW 'Starlight 7' -but have not ha a chance to evaluate.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:38 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Dec 06, 2004 5:56 am
Posts: 38
Location: Toronto, ON, CA
I recently purchased this cable and I was truly blown away. Better than the Atlas Compass and Wireworld Starlight #7, that I previously used. It's also on sale at 51% off. Make sure that you get a 1.5M length digital cable as the longer cable always sounds better.

https://www.futureshop.co.uk/qed-refere ... tom-length


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:43 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:54 pm
Posts: 717
Location: Calgary, AB, CA
Blue Jean Cables. 100%


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:45 am 
Online
Dealer/Sponsor
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 30, 2013 6:14 am
Posts: 1771
Location: Davidson, SK, CA
The Wireworld Starlight digital coax is probably the best bang for the buck cable across their entire line of cables.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

_________________
Davidson Home Audio Designs


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:53 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Aug 08, 2016 5:46 pm
Posts: 1017
Location: Markham, ON, CA
ruecatinat wrote:



Plus 1.

I have upgraded all the interconnects in two of my systems to Amplifier Surgery cables. Amazing difference. I replaced and sold all my Audioquest stuff because of them. These are really great cables and are at a price that does not break the bank. Don't let the Ebay "thing" scare you off; these are seriously good cables.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:02 am 
Offline
Dealer/Sponsor

Joined: Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:33 am
Posts: 2104
Location: Kingston, ON, CA
msommers wrote:
Blue Jean Cables. 100%



That's cuz belden can't make a coax to save their lives!

(jk!)

_________________
(Ken Hotte, of) Teo Audio


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:16 am 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 11, 2007 1:33 am
Posts: 586
Location: Newmarket, ON, CA
Many pieces of equipment have one digital input that sounds better then the rest, so if you have options, play around first to see what is the best sounding connection on your gear. In the past I have played around with different digital cables to compare & I would say they can sound slightly different. I have heard the AQ cinnamon & for the price, don't think its a bad cable, I'd probably call it neutral sounding cable. My personal preference (a bit more new but if you can find a used one they can normally be had for a good price) was an Oyaide DR-510 (believe list at $240 for a 1.3M). I'd say compared to the AQ, slightly smoother more refined but not lacking any details. Also compared the Kimber DV-30, I found this one a bit more detailed but also slightly more forward at the same time.


What ever you go with, get a 1.5M length (Oyaide only comes in 1.3 but still seems to work great), which is supposed to sound better then shorter lengths. I currently use AES/EBU in my main setup as this is the best sounding connection & for me Siltech has been the best I have heard but it's not in the same price category.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:17 am 
Offline
Dealer/Sponsor

Joined: Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:33 am
Posts: 2104
Location: Kingston, ON, CA
allhifi wrote:
Priyo wrote:
Looking to upgrade my digital interconnects (coaxial) from the amp to my CD player. Any recommendations on which reasonably priced cable I should use? I was looking at AudioQuest Cinnamon Coax cable..just wondering if anyone here has used it before?


Post edited by mod to remove banned content. PM sent.

Good question, regarding what's good; I recently discovered (in my set-up) the available AES/EBU (XLR 110-ohm balanced) to be significantly superior. If that option exists for you, consider exploring AES/EBU/Balanced digital cables. Actually (come to think of it), AQ 'Cinnamon' AES/EBU is the first XLR-style cable used -and it is quite nice.

It you wish to experiment (or simply save some money), look for a RCA-end (coax) 75-ohm video cable for digital duty.

pj
P.S> I just received a BNC (75-ohm) WW 'Starlight 7' -but have not ha a chance to evaluate.



Balanced xlr is for long distances.

in short distances, in measurement, in theory, and in practice, they have higher jitter than standard single ended coaxial designs. Inescapably so. The problem comes when no two cables or cable types are the same, so it becomes a crap shoot. But the underlying jitter comparison remains as a fundamental truism.

The basic balanced or xlr format digital cable spec is all about function in/over long distances, it says nothing about jitter. thus, with long distances, balanced digital is notably jitter prone. re-clocking long balanced digital is the way to go. It's mostly for concert and mobile configurations, where a low functional failure rate is highly desirable and demanded, well beyond any concerns of jitter.

Jitter was so bad in the original balanced designs that their being non functional period, was an actual concern. they had serious limits. Like that of HDMI, with the twisted pair design aspect. HDMI originally had problems going beyond 12-15-20 feet. All laid at the feet of jitter. Both still wrestle with jitter problems, moreso than coaxial single ended does.

_________________
(Ken Hotte, of) Teo Audio


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:56 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Dec 07, 2004 7:16 am
Posts: 538
Location: Hamilton, ON, CA
Forbes_2 wrote:
The Wireworld Starlight digital coax is probably the best bang for the buck cable across their entire line of cables.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk


Speaking of which; I have a new 'Starlight 7' BNC/BNC, but require a BNC-to-RCA connector (for CDP connection).

If you know, where could I purchase one ?

Thx,

peter

-- 14 Nov 2018 17:57 --

Teo Audio wrote:
allhifi wrote:
Priyo wrote:
Looking to upgrade my digital interconnects (coaxial) from the amp to my CD player. Any recommendations on which reasonably priced cable I should use? I was looking at AudioQuest Cinnamon Coax cable..just wondering if anyone here has used it before?


Post edited by mod to remove banned content. PM sent.

Good question, regarding what's good; I recently discovered (in my set-up) the available AES/EBU (XLR 110-ohm balanced) to be significantly superior. If that option exists for you, consider exploring AES/EBU/Balanced digital cables. Actually (come to think of it), AQ 'Cinnamon' AES/EBU is the first XLR-style cable used -and it is quite nice.

It you wish to experiment (or simply save some money), look for a RCA-end (coax) 75-ohm video cable for digital duty.

pj
P.S> I just received a BNC (75-ohm) WW 'Starlight 7' -but have not had a chance to evaluate.



Balanced xlr is for long distances.

in short distances, in measurement, in theory, and in practice, they have higher jitter than standard single ended coaxial designs. Inescapably so. The problem comes when no two cables or cable types are the same, so it becomes a crap shoot. But the underlying jitter comparison remains as a fundamental truism.

The basic balanced or xlr format digital cable spec is all about function in/over long distances, it says nothing about jitter. thus, with long distances, balanced digital is notably jitter prone. re-clocking long balanced digital is the way to go. It's mostly for concert and mobile configurations, where a low functional failure rate is highly desirable and demanded, well beyond any concerns of jitter.

Jitter was so bad in the original balanced designs that their being non functional period, was an actual concern. they had serious limits. Like that of HDMI, with the twisted pair design aspect. HDMI originally had problems going beyond 12-15-20 feet. All laid at the feet of jitter. Both still wrestle with jitter problems, moreso than coaxial single ended does.


-- 14 Nov 2018 18:02 --

Ken: Interesting theory; I very recently used a AES/EBU digital cable (of far lower quality than some of my coax digital) and it is waaaaay better than 75-ohm coax.
Clarity, dimensionality and tonal qualities are far superior.

so much for "theory".

pj


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:05 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Aug 25, 2007 2:00 am
Posts: 1321
Location: Guelph, ON, CA
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/1x-2M-Tributari ... 2934602441


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:14 am 
Online
Dealer/Sponsor
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 30, 2013 6:14 am
Posts: 1771
Location: Davidson, SK, CA
@allhifi Any Wireworld dealer will be able to have a cable made by Wireworld with any combination of rca/bnc ends. There is no extra charge as far as I am aware of.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

_________________
Davidson Home Audio Designs


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 103 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next

All times are UTC - 8 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group