Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Tue Dec 11, 2018 7:06 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Amp or speakers
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 1:32 pm 

Looking for some input please.

Just upgraded my Gershman Avant Garde to the Gershman Grande Avant Garde. Now my Bryston B100 amp is not able to drive the speakers to appreciate the intended changes in bass.

What is best route? Change speakers, or use the Bryston as a preamp and get a much more powerful amp to drive the speakers
and
will there be any concerns about which brand amp to match with Bryston as the pre?

Appreciate your comments.

Post subject: Re: Amp or speakers
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 1:44 pm 
Premium User

Most definitely play around with amp pairings. Very nice sounding speaker top to bottom.

When I had this integrated amp I got to try it with Gershman GAP's and it was a nice match.

https://www.canuckaudiomart.com/details ... amplifier/

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 1:55 pm 

JPeeples2 wrote:
Looking for some input please.

Just upgraded my Gershman Avant Garde to the Gershman Grande Avant Garde. Now my Bryston B100 amp is not able to drive the speakers to appreciate the intended changes in bass.

What is best route? Change speakers, or use the Bryston as a preamp and get a much more powerful amp to drive the speakers
and
will there be any concerns about which brand amp to match with Bryston as the pre?

Appreciate your comments.

The speakers can only reveal what is there. Your speakers are certainly up to the task.

The next steps would be to ensure that the amplifier is equally capable -- I am surprised you would think the Bryston is not.

Enjoy the music says: "I will offer a quick comment about the efficiency of the Grandes, rated at 89dB. The recommended power is 40 to 200 watts, which seems just fine. I rarely had to turn up my Music Reference amplifier (125 wpc) very high to get satisfying volume. I did not hear any strain at any volume level short of what would get me thrown out of my building, if not all of Brooklyn. I would wager that a well-made 40 wpc amplifier would work very nicely in all but the largest rooms. "

Are the Gersman's in a very large room? Do you like your music played very loud?

Others have reported that playing with power cables can help.

Ultimately, it could be the DAC.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 6:38 pm 

Perhaps they just need a break in period to open up the bass? That’s assuming they’re new of course.