Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Tue Dec 11, 2018 5:01 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: TT and...solstices???
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 4:26 pm 

So twice a year as either the spring or fall solstice approaches/passes I always seem to have a lot of...fun...with my turntable/analog chain.

This spring it was my iPhono - which I'm still using after having chased down a bunch of what might be grounding and general electrical noise issues. No motor-boating so far and I've been quite pleased after power cables changes. We'll see...

However, the past two weeks it's been tt level - obviously due to the change to lower humidity but it still required a lot of work to keep up. I've adjusted feet on my stand and tt a few times every couple of days now.

But tonight was even more interesting: a very slight "squeaking" from the general tt area which I finally traced to the belt. Note: my turntable is belt drive. Turns out the belt needed a new coat of talc...

I'm interested if any others notice something similar (or don't) these two times of the year...

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 4:35 pm 

My main table is pretty much a set up and forget table. The table’s feet are pneumatic air suspension and they require an occasional air top up, but that’s about it, other than an annual bearing re-lubrication

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 4:39 pm 

brf wrote:
My main table is pretty much a set up and forget table. The table’s feet are pneumatic air suspension and they require an occasional air top up, but that’s about it, other than an annual bearing re-lubrication

Is it sitting on concrete or some other solid foundation?

My place was constructed in 1938 and features horse-hair plaster and lathe along with original nicely jointed hardwood floors...

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 4:55 pm 

The table sits on a 4” round tubular steel stand weighing in at approx 300lbs coupled to a concrete floor.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 5:26 pm 

Here's an old trick, just for general interest. Use bean bags or "Gell Packs" under the feet of your turntable. you can easily level it out and it will help isolate vibrations.