Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:12 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 5:09 am 

I was wondering what methods members use to reduce static while playing records. Does anyone here use the walker talisman ? Any suggestions are welcomed.

I recently added a air cleaner with a heppa filter to try and limit the amount of dust in the air being attracted to the vinyl.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 5:21 am 

I've replaced my felt mat on my turntable because it was terrible for static especially at this time of the year.
I also use the zerostat milty 3 on my records before playing. That helps getting rid of the static energy

I think the zerostat is a must have. It made a world of difference especially for records that have a lot of quiet passages.

Last edited by Krisztian on Sun Nov 11, 2018 5:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 5:25 am 

Humidifer using distiled water in the room

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 5:30 am 

I have a Zerostat static gun which doesn't appear to help.

However, I cleaned all of my records using Paul Rushton's formula in an ultrasonic cleaner and haven't had any issues with static since then. The formula has a quat (short for quaternary ammonium cation) which is a strong anti-static. I couldn't find Hepastat 256 in Canada so I used Behentrimonium. Here's the link:

https://positive-feedback.com/audio-discourse/rushton-paul-diy-approach-ultrasonic-cleaning-lps/

I have heard that some guys keep a small spray bottle of the cleaning fluid to wipe down records that pick up static after cleaning although I have never tried that myself.

Todd

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 6:10 am 

Best to avoid static at one of the obvious sources: do not wear synthetic fibres while handling records near your turntable.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 6:13 am 

during winter when the furnace is running and the house is dry,
i keep a used but clean, bounce anti-static sheet next to the turntable.
when i put on a record, as i am putting the dust brush to the vinyl surface i will just touch the anti-static sheet to the outer edge of the vinyl as it is on it's first few spins before dropping the needle/tonearm.
this simple solution seems to work to remove or at least reduce static on the record.
replace the anti-static sheet once in a while with a fresh used one.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 6:29 am 

A long with using the Furutech Destat unit I was toying with one of these as an idea..As far as I'm concerned, the Furutech is really a negative ion generator, and so is this little unit..Corby has used various Industrial anti static devices on arms suspended over the table....This little unit would probably be on a much smaller scale.
If you search the Internet you can find different examples of these personnel "air purifiers" which generate negative ions....

https://www.amazon.ca/AirTamer-Negative-Generator-Rechargeable-Personal/dp/B00KSVJH50?tag=canuckca-20%22%20target=%22_blank%22%3Ehttps://www.amazon.ca/AirTamer-Negative%20...%20B00KSVJH50

Sorry having a hard time copying this link.If somebody can fix it, please do...

Last edited by Itsnotluck on Sun Nov 11, 2018 6:33 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 6:31 am 

I use a Zerostat gun
I also have a record cleaning arm with a ground wire connected to it.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 6:35 am 

natalie wrote:
I use a Zerostat gun
I also have a record cleaning arm with a ground wire connected to it.

I've been interested in the recording cleaning arm, do you have pic of it, a brand name link?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 7:05 am 

I have the benefit of non-carpet flooring but still have arid conditions in the winter time. When I first acquired a turntable I noticed that dust and cat fur was getting drawn to records while they were playing. Reading the many threads on this topic helped me tackle the issue at many different areas:

1. At the record - I use the white glue method for cleaning, but the removal of the dried sheet would induce a charge into the surface (I could feel the hair on my wrists being pulled toward the disc), so I started to do the peeling over the humidifier and this helped alot!

2. Using Mo-Fi style inner sleeves

3. Humidifying the listening area

4. Using a metal mat. Felt was bad

I was still finding that CLEAN records would have dust on them after playback (using the phone flash over the surface in dark setting), the (rather expensive) solution was to install a Panasonic ER-Q ant-static device over the record during playback. The main job was to prevent dust from being attracted to the record and we can see this as the record is spinning - particles will float around the turntable but as they approach you can see them being repelled. It's something to watch. There are two added, and sonic, benefits with the ER-Q, one is the very low level crackles present are either much lower or gone, and two, the top end has a less-edgy character. My assumption is that both of these are influenced by the build-up or presence of static charge.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 7:24 am 

OK this link works better,scroll down page and read description...I don't know but could be a cheaper solution than the Furutech Destat..I was thinking about running the unit over the spinning platter...

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Airtamer-A30 ... e/16386396

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 10:03 am 

Kuadzilla,
Where can you buy that Panasonic er q unit you mentioned and how much is it? I have a destat 2 but find it really isn't effective.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 10:39 am 

https://www.alliedelec.com/panasonic-er-q/70036425/

I can't remember the logistics of how I picked mine up, but google is a friend in these cases... Actually a good price, given the state of the dollar now compare to when I bought it. I picked a mic boom stand (Røde, from Moog Audio, but similar available from L&M) to hang the device over the LP while playing. I had Don Corby manufacture an attachment to mount to and affix to the mic stand.

This isn't cheap. However, the benefit trumps (pardon me) the cost in my experience and opinion. There's nothing worse than particles being embedded into the grooves; actually, there is - spending time and effort washing records only to take them out of the sleeve, lay it down, listen to it once, and now you gotta clean it again. Add this to the sonic benefit and it becomes less of a wallet hit and more of an investment into your enjoyment of the music.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 10:58 am 

]The turntable cleaning arm is a carbon fiber brush.
I purchased it from Bags Unlimited in Rochester New York.
It was delivered by mail.

Attachments:
134 002.jpg
134 002.jpg [ 201.9 KiB | Viewed 960 times ]
PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 11:26 am 

Hmmmm. Is nobody using a dust bug? I use one and have zero problems. What is a dust bug? A little vertical post that is attached to the turntable plynth that supports an arm that rests on the spinning LP via a carbon brush. This carbon brush picks up the static charge which is then discharged via a ground wire to the phono amp/pre-amp. I have zero issues with static, even in mid-winter when my house has the equivalent humidity level of Phoenix Arizona.

And I also use MoFi sleeves. I have cleaned every one of my 2,000 LPs and then inserted them in new MoFi sleeves. The difference in sound quality is palpable.

I will dig around and see if I can find the box that my dust bug came in.....and will add the name and link.

Best, Tom

EDIT. Now I know why I called it a dust bug! The box says: " Schallplatten-Reinigungsarm mit Kohlfasern"..... :lol: In english it is best described as an "Anti-Static Record Cleaning Arm".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QUTFcQb ... =Cepi-Tech

I bought mine from the Needle Store in Granby Quebec. Highly recommended!
http://www.myneedlestore.com/profession ... aning-arm/

Last edited by brownslane on Sun Nov 11, 2018 11:36 am, edited 3 times in total.