Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Thu Dec 13, 2018 8:39 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Rega RP3 vs Linn LP12
PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 1:08 pm 

Hi all,
A Linn LP12/Basik/K-9 has come up for sale locally. How would that compare to my Rega RP3/Exact/ Tangospinner Splatter/ TTPSU?
Any thoughts? Rest of rig is Graham Slee SE2, Naim Unitiqute, Focal 806v Speakers.
Thanks in advance,

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 1:33 pm 

I'm an RP3 owner and have thought about the same move.

In terms of tone arms it would be a downgrade.

Rega RB303 > Linn Basik.

If you do go with a LP12 I'd look for a better arm. It's not easy to upgrade from the RP3. The RB303 is hard to beat for the price. Can handle some high end LOMC carts. Which I wouldn't put on a Basik.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 2:12 pm 
Dealer/Sponsor

I would be eyeing up your phonostage first and then cart. Your Rega has a fair bit of headroom left. You haven't hit its full potential yet.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 6:45 pm 

Linn has evolved a lot since it came on the market. You would have to take a look at the iteration of the Linn you are looking to get and if any upgrades have been performed on it in order to compare.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:12 pm 

What kind of power supply? If it's a Valhalla then it won't play 45rpm records.

IMO you would have to put a lot of money into that LP12 to bring it even with your RP3, since your current tonearm and cartridge are better than the Basik and K9.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 6:47 am 

I can pipe here as the previous owner of multiple Linns and Regas.

The Linn combo you are looking at is likely mid 1980s to very early 1990s. When I bought my LP12 Valhalla in 1991, it had the Akito arm and K5 cartridge. The K9 was more detailed and open but could sound a bit bright on the wrong system. The K5 was a tarted up AT95e with stiffer cantilever. The Akito arm was a bit less resonant than the Basik thanks to the thicker arm tube. I would choose a modern Rega arm over any of these these old Japanese-made Linn arms.

The turntable itself will be a tougher choice. Modern Linns sounds a lot more even versus Valhalla Linns. On the Valhalla, there is a real weird discontinuity in the bass making it rather tubby and not really well integrated with the midrange. I had the Linn Axis prior to my LP12 and it was vastly better in this regard. Axis came out in the cd era so it was a lot more even sounding.The Axis had a smaller soundstage but a much more modern sound. Every system is different - an LP12 Valhalla in an all-Linn system of the day would not sound too bad but, in a more neutral non-Linn system, might not sound as good.

Nothing sounds like a Linn LP12. If you like it, then enjoy. They are incredibly durable, reliable and engaging to listen to. Compared to a Rega, Linns have better speed and pitch stability.

Linns need to be tuned up and will need a low, light, stiff shelf as they are extremely sensitive to foot falls unless you have a concrete floor.

I would not trade your RP3 in - I would add a second turntable.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 7:43 am 

Forbes_2 wrote:
I would be eyeing up your phonostage first and then cart. Your Rega has a fair bit of headroom left. You haven't hit its full potential yet.

What would you recommend? Thanks

-- 11 Nov 2018 15:44 --

Thanks everyone, I think I'm going to stick with the RP3 - appreciate all the insights and advice

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:53 pm 

You should not count out the LP12. Go have a listen if you can but it is a high end product. More like having a tube amp versus set and forget like a solid state amp or a Rega table.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 7:08 pm 

cmarvell wrote:
Forbes_2 wrote:

What would you recommend? Thanks

-- 11 Nov 2018 15:44 --

Thanks everyone, I think I'm going to stick with the RP3 - appreciate all the insights and advice

Good choice. I upgraded my rega deck with a DV 10X5 cart; that made a BIG difference. Also look at your arm wiring. My next step is to upgrade the phono pre-amp. I am currently using (and liking) a Project Tube DS. it is good, but I feel is not optimal. Another cart to consider (I use it on my RB-250 armed Thorens) is the Hana line of carts. I have the SL and it is sublime!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 8:46 pm 

cmarvell wrote:
Hi all,
A Linn LP12/Basik/K-9 has come up for sale locally. How would that compare to my Rega RP3/Exact/ Tangospinner Splatter/ TTPSU?
Any thoughts? Rest of rig is Graham Slee SE2, Naim Unitiqute, Focal 806v Speakers.
Thanks in advance,

Woah. The LP-12 is FAR superior -even if it's the first one ever made by Linn !

Buy it -assuming it's reasonably priced. If not, consider seeking/listening to the excellent Marantz TT-15 combo. This Clearaudio-built table/arm (TT-15) is excellent; used $800-$1K typically! You'll love it)

pj

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:22 pm 

I am a lp12 owner. I believe that the lp12 would be a better option. The lp12 has many upgrade paths and the ceiling would be much higher than the rp3. The upgrades can be pricey but there are also non -linn upgrade options. Also have bought used and slowly upgraded the lp12. I started with the basik tonearm and k5 cartridge and enjoyed it greatly. The lp12 has rhythm and presentation that is very engaging. You should try to listen to it 1st.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 3:35 pm 

The Linn will be a better table in the long run, but you will most likely spend more money, but you’ll have a better sounding table.

Having said that, if you decide to keep your rp3, you shiuld look into michael lim and his motor isolation base, and possibly a couple of his other rega upgrades. The iso base is a huge improvement overall and very inexpensive.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 4:21 pm 

banerjba wrote:
You should not count out the LP12. Go have a listen if you can but it is a high end product. More like having a tube amp versus set and forget like a solid state amp or a Rega table.

Very accurate. The LP12 requires work. It's not a set and forget TT.
For the most part the Rega is what is. The LP12 can be upgraded. The upgrades are pricey,think Bill Gates pricey.
I bought my LP12 with the thoughts of upgrading it. Other than adding a Linn Linto I haven't gotten any further. Once I hit the Lotto Max Friday I feel upgrades on the way. :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:08 pm 

I have a Rega P3 with a ton of upgrades … 24v motor with TTPSU, Groovetracer Reference subplatter with acrylic platter, incognito tonearm wiring with Safety Riser VTA adjustment … and my LP-12 is still MUCH better.

Sorry, Mister Vice President, 'The Handmaid's Tale' is not a documentary.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:29 pm 

Quadzilla wrote:
I have a Rega P3 with a ton of upgrades … 24v motor with TTPSU, Groovetracer Reference subplatter with acrylic platter, incognito tonearm wiring with Safety Riser VTA adjustment … and my LP-12 is still MUCH better.

Well said - I always had a second table with my Lp12 for 45 RPM, usually a Dual, Technics or Thorens and later a Rega. When tuned up, the Linn smoked all of them.

To the OP, you actually have a very nice system. An LP12 would be a good fit. Back in the day, many of us used a Naim or Linn amp and a pair of high quality bookshelf speakers which your Focals definitely are.

Before you buy an older Linn, make sure you are near a Linn dealer or someone who is qualified to work on these tables. They do need a bit of care but a tuned up Linn sounds like nothing else and it could be your last table.