Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Mon Nov 19, 2018 1:46 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:56 am 

I posted a poll question a couple of days ago asking "Does the selling price of a new piece of equipment influence your perception of how it must sound?"

The responses were almost spit 50/50

I purchased the Topping D50 DAC from Amazon and received it on Monday.

Just to be clear, when answering the poll question; The price of a piece of equipment usually affects my expectations of a piece of equipment, but I do my best to A/B it and draw my own conclusions.

My review of the Topping D50 DAC:
It does sound good, maybe even very good, but compared to my Universal Audio Apollo, the D50 lacks fine detail.
I am listening to music through a pair of Stax L-300 LE and a Stax SRM-T1 amplifier, which are very capable of detecting extreme detail in the music.
While the sound of the music through the D50 is full sounding, the bass is somewhat not as clean and detailed. The mid and high frequencies are good, best lack the same fine detail also.
The sound overall does not seem as wide and extended, but still sounds good.
This could possibly be because of the power supply of the D50. I have it plugged into a Blackberry 5 volt charger. Probably not the best!
I should also point out the cost of the UA Apollo is almost 8 times what I paid for the D50. So for the money, as is, it is a great deal!
Before I pass on the D50 DAC, I am going to borrow a power corrected/filtered power supply. I am willing to bet this will make a significant difference.

I'll let you know.

Thanks

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:18 am 

You are correct on trying a corrected filtered power supply. This will improve performance, or rather, provide the performance this machine is capable of. Also, as ridiculous as this sounds, there is a burn in period. Don't give up yet. And yes, please do keep us informed of your findings.