Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:34 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: No Anthem cd players?
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 6:34 am 

So i upgraded my HT receiver a while back to an Anthem mrx 500....big step up from my HK AVR 135. Now i was thinking it might be nice to retire my NAD cd player and get a matching Anthem unit for my HT system. If i want an Anthem cd player i have to settle for one built in the 90s?! Wtf is that about? Why isnt Anthem building a cd player? Or at least a dvd/bluray player....so if i cant get an Anthem unit, what else should i look at? Ideally id like a 5-6 disc changer. Ive been looking at Esoteric for my serious listening system and was thinking maybe a TEAC changer would go nice with my receiver....any thoughts?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 7:19 am 

How about an Onkyo or Integra 6 disc CD player? Check them out here in the USA:

https://www.accessories4less.com/make-a ... ger/1.html

&

https://www.accessories4less.com/make-a ... ger/1.html

or in Canada here:

https://gibbyselectronicsupermarket.ca/ ... 0-b-stock/

&

https://www.2001audiovideo.com/en/catal ... yo-DX-C390

Last edited by Scott954 on Tue Nov 06, 2018 7:54 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 7:36 am 

Consumer demand for physical media players are on the decline, therefore, a LOT of manufactures have stop making CD only players

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 7:37 am 

I have four different multi-disc CD players. I have a TEAC in my main system but will most likely swap it out for a Nakamichi MB8...this rig sounds really great. If you can find a decent Nakamichi, I recommend giving it a try. The MB8 is hard to find these days.....

And yes, there are becoming fewer and fewer brand new options for CD playing. Especially multi-disc

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:51 am 

I own the 500.
I've owned the anthem cd stacker....
Imo the 500 would be the weak link.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:02 am 

I have an Onkyo 6 cd changer in the classifieds, well priced.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:07 am 

The onkyo cd changers have terrible reliability issues (trays) - there are refurbs available on ebay for cheap. Generally budget cd players (Yamaha, Onkyo) are overpriced here compared to the US - I would consider making a trip.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:10 am 

The Onkyo was a good suggestion by one of the members. Its a decent quality product.

But consider this, and before you laugh or wrinkle your forehead with a raised eyebrow. Consider a Sony PS-3 as your CD player. They can be found for dirt cheap, have a well constructed mechanism, has blue ray, has a digital optical output, internal hard drive to make playlists, remote capability and an excellent build quality. There are many other great reasons but i think you get the "Jest" of it. Most "ready for the consumer" CD Players are just, well.....Blah.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:21 pm 

Denon and Marantz multi players, a few are smoking good players and excellent heavy builds. I still hang on to a 2900 tank. Its higher than my amplifier and weights a good 30 lbs. You can one of either ones upper tier players from the 2000s on up for a mere couple hundred bucks. Or an OPPO 103/5

The mechanisms in many of the multi disc players leave somethings to desire. I always stick with the single drawer/ disc players. Then it goes through separate dac on its way in.

Does anyone know what to look for in the way of a good portable CD player? Remember those things you had to "lug" around if you wanted digital sound in the car :lol: ? I want to surprise my wife with a decent portable disc player.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:32 pm 

Ive always been a little leary of the newer Onkyo gear...ive read about alot of quality issues....not specifically cd players but in general...might be worth a shot tho.

Nakamichi is an interesting suggestion, i remember their stuff from back in the 90s and it seemed to always get pretty decent reviews. I actually saw a Nak cd player on kijiji the other day, maybe ill see if its still around.

Hows the Pioneer Elite 300 disk changer? Im not even sure i have 300 cds but that would be pretty sweet....no need for shelf space, just throw everything i have at it and they can stay there lol

-- 06 Nov 2018 20:39 --

I actually used a PS3 for quite a while for my cd player....it was good.....not up to par with my old NAD for whatever reason tho....never could figure that out....my NAD with a really nice set of rcas sounded leaps and bounds better than the ps3 running fiberoptic cable?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:46 pm 
Premium User

Back in the 90's when Sonic Frontiers was bought-out by the people who owned Paradigm and Anthem - who then promptly shut-down Sonic Frontiers :shock: , most of the Anthem products that appeared were crap.
The only Anthem components that sounded any good were the Anthem CD 1 six disc player with a 6922 tube inside, and a couple of preamps that were probably made by using the Sonic Frontiers designs in a different chassis.
The sound of the CD 1 was very good, and it played HDCD discs also. I don't know if it will hold its own against all the 192/24 players made now - or if you'll even care - but it does have AES/EBU and S/PDIF digital outputs at the back, so that you can use it as a transport.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 1:04 pm 

Just get the Yamaha AVENTAGE BD-A1060 not too expensive (around $ 400 and less ) and a lot of nice features including some rare at the price (like the XLR analogue outputs)

B-Ray - very nice picture (upscaled 4K, not native)
SACD
DVD audio
Plays from USB stick
CD toggle switch to slow-down RPM speed to cd format (for better error correction)
Free ap to use your cell phone as a remote
XLR outputs (a rarity at this price)
and I am missing some...

https://ca.yamaha.com/en/products/audio ... index.html

Good luck!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 1:20 pm 

105 oppo has balanced outputs also worth mention, right around the same price ranges. Scoop up as many as you can because CD and BluRay will come back with a vengeance one day in the future :D

-- 06 Nov 2018 21:23 --

hollinger wrote:
The onkyo cd changers have terrible reliability issues (trays) - there are refurbs available on ebay for cheap. Generally budget cd players (Yamaha, Onkyo) are overpriced here compared to the US - I would consider making a trip.

So did their mid 2000 and later amps in they're surround sound receivers. I switched to Denon after losing one amp then another, and then the warranty covered replacement. Pretty solid make in other areas despite some bad batches of built in amps although.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 1:31 pm 

milag wrote:
Just get the Yamaha AVENTAGE BD-A1060 not too expensive (around $ 400 and less ) and a lot of nice features including some rare at the price (like the XLR analogue outputs)

SACD
DVD audio
Plays from USB stick
CD toggle switch to slow-down RPM speed to cd format (for better error correction)
and I am missing some...

Good luck!

Great unit, try and find one

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 2:17 pm 

allgonoshow wrote:
milag wrote:

SACD
DVD audio
Plays from USB stick
and I am missing some...

Good luck!

Great unit, try and find one

Exactly.
Been discontinued for a while now