Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Mon Nov 12, 2018 3:03 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 1:18 pm 

Here's an idea. Just for giggles and to maybe spark some interest in doing something different.

Any of you still own an old Beta machine? For fun try recording some of your favorite records on Beta. The quality is outstanding. Of course, if you have a lot of time on your hands, just select the songs of your choice and make a mixed tape. As some of you may already know, there are many, many hours of record time you can get off a beta-tape.

Try A/B'n sources and see if you can hear the difference. Beta machines record at a very high rate of speed and record /playback is superb.

The machine I use is a Sony EDV-7300 (ED Beta)

Originally, I had thoughts of making this thread informative and unnecessarily wordy and complex. Nah, lets keep it light and simple and see if anyone agrees/disagrees.

What are your thoughts?
Anyone else do this too?
Are you going to give it a try?
Has your "Hey Yeah" moment sparked?

I would love to hear some feed back

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 1:28 pm 

audiotuner wrote:
Here's an idea. Just for giggles and to maybe spark some interest in doing something different.

Any of you still own an old Beta machine? For fun try recording some of your favorite records on Beta. The quality is outstanding. Of course, if you have a lot of time on your hands, just select the songs of your choice and make a mixed tape. As some of you may already know, there are many, many hours of record time you can get off a beta-tape.

Try A/B'n sources and see if you can hear the difference. Beta machines record at a very high rate of speed and record /playback is superb.

The machine I use is a Sony EDV-7300 (ED Beta)

Originally, I had thoughts of making this thread informative and unnecessarily wordy and complex. Nah, lets keep it light and simple and see if anyone agrees/disagrees.

What are your thoughts?
Anyone else do this too?
Are you going to give it a try?
Has your "Hey Yeah" moment sparked?

I would love to hear some feed back

Many years ago I had a lot of recordings in Beta tapes. The quality is indeed very good close to CD quality, much better than any cassette format and perhaps better that reel to reel.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 1:28 pm 

Years ago I tried pretty much the same thing but with VHS HI-FI the quality was pretty good and a couple tapes of mix music were great for parties. The hardest part was getting the levels set correctly. The VHS units I had didn't have meters.
Good fun plus I didn't have nightmares about someone using my TT as a big coaster.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 2:01 pm 

I was lucky enough to acquire an AMPEX 2 inch video tape recorder...…...super audio quality, but weighed a TON!

Cheers, del Sol

-- 05 Nov 2018 22:01 --

I was lucky enough to acquire an AMPEX 2 inch video tape recorder...…...super audio quality, but weighed a TON!

Cheers, del Sol

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 2:14 pm 

Like Mahatma, I had a (have actually) Panasonic HiFi VHS deck, that I played around with for audio. My deck had vu meters, so setting the levels was just like recording to cassette. The sound quality was quite good, but the bulk of the tapes, and inconvenience of rewinding etc made it hard to justify. Particularly when you started listening to Metal tapes, on a high end cassette deck. and then recordable CD's came along....

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 2:23 pm 

Used to record on "Beta Hi-Fi" also, the rotating head combined with the tape speed flow made for incredibly fast reading, hiss-free music. However, locating the tracks were a bummer !

VHS not bad too, but Beta was better both on sound AND picture.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 2:30 pm 

I started a similar thread some time ago regarding Audio recording on VHS Tapes, A Good VHS or Beta recorders sound quality can approach that of the Best Reel to Reel Tape recorder, I still own 4 different VHS Recorders, Although I am not using them much any more as I have now started to do most of my Recording with a Quality DVD Recorder.
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=50538

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 4:18 pm 

The dawn of digital music owes a lot to vcrs. I have a few Denon PCM Japanese pressings showcasing their PCM technology. They have beautiful sound quality, IMHO, given the limitations of the gear. From the liner notes of one:

Attachment:
File comment: Denon PCM
IMG_20181105_191220.jpg
IMG_20181105_191220.jpg [ 526.96 KiB | Viewed 382 times ]

Couple articles on it here:

http://www.preservationsound.com/?p=7690

and here:

http://www.aes.org/aeshc/pdf/fine_dawn-of-digital.pdf

Quote:
Satisfied that PCM digital was an improvement over analog tape, Denon engineers
set out to develop their own VTR-based system. Their goals were improved audio quality
and multi-track recording capability, which then made the system viable in most commercial
recording settings of the 1970s. In 1972, Denon unveiled the DN-023R, an 8-
channel system featuring 13-bit resolution and a sampling rate of 47.25kHz. The system
used a Hitachi (then called Shiba Electronics) 4-head open-reel broadcast VTR as its
storage format. Anazawa noted: "We used the low-band mode of the VTR, for black and
white (video). The reasons were stronger (performance) than color mode for tape dropout
and less cost." Anazawa said, with the DN-023R, "we could edit music recordings and
cut (LP) discs using advanced (preview) head" to control lathe-a~tomation.~

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 4:33 pm 

Years ago I also used to record LP's onto a Sony SL HF900 Super Beta machine. The sound quality was stunning compared to a cassette. I agree that it was equal to or better than CD.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:21 pm 

I have a Sony SL900 beta, the jog wheel is touchy on it, I still listen to beta tapes I made 30 yrs ago. I never found VHS to be as good in audio recordings.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:24 pm 

joseph49 wrote:
I started a similar thread some time ago regarding Audio recording on VHS Tapes, A Good VHS or Beta recorders sound quality can approach that of the Best Reel to Reel Tape recorder, I still own 4 different VHS Recorders, Although I am not using them much any more as I have now started to do most of my Recording with a Quality DVD Recorder.
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=50538

You need to distinguish between regular (older) VHS systems and the newer VHS Hi-Fi systems. The former can sound really crappy, but the latter, even at the slowest tape speeds, can easily preserve anything that a vinyl transfer can throw at it - and, to my ears, CD as well.

It's been decades since I've listened to any of the transfers that I made way back when, but I just pulled out a tape and played some of its tracks on my JVC HR-S4800U
Hi-Fi S-VHS VCR and it still sounds great.

With a T120 you could made a high quality 6 hour party tape at EP speed.

Jeff

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:43 am 
Dealer/Sponsor

This brings back memories! Sometime in the early eighties(1984?) I was crazy about Beta, bought a Beta Sony SL-HFR-30 at Atlantic Stereo on Sparks St Mall!, and added the HI-Fi processor afterwards (HFP-200 I think) . I used it to record music on and the results were really good.
At the time I also had a Nakamichi 480Z also (simple 2 head deck) and the Beta was much better but also a lot of trouble to use, locating tracks was hard.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:33 am 

I recall an audio buddy using Beta tapes for music. Sounded impressive at the time, but as others have indicated the size of the tape and high quality machines disappeared after a while.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:36 am 

fifthbusiness wrote:
The dawn of digital music owes a lot to vcrs. I have a few Denon PCM Japanese pressings showcasing their PCM technology. They have beautiful sound quality, IMHO, given the limitations of the gear. From the liner notes of one:

Attachment:
IMG_20181105_191220.jpg

Couple articles on it here:

http://www.preservationsound.com/?p=7690

and here:

http://www.aes.org/aeshc/pdf/fine_dawn-of-digital.pdf

Quote:
Satisfied that PCM digital was an improvement over analog tape, Denon engineers
set out to develop their own VTR-based system. Their goals were improved audio quality
and multi-track recording capability, which then made the system viable in most commercial
recording settings of the 1970s. In 1972, Denon unveiled the DN-023R, an 8-
channel system featuring 13-bit resolution and a sampling rate of 47.25kHz. The system
used a Hitachi (then called Shiba Electronics) 4-head open-reel broadcast VTR as its
storage format. Anazawa noted: "We used the low-band mode of the VTR, for black and
white (video). The reasons were stronger (performance) than color mode for tape dropout
and less cost." Anazawa said, with the DN-023R, "we could edit music recordings and
cut (LP) discs using advanced (preview) head" to control lathe-a~tomation.~

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:57 am 

@Vinyl Guy... Well, i can see where some might find the size of Beta-Tapes being an issue for them. On the other hand, this thread was more about doing something different for a change. I know, we've all been there and done it. But it was a way to dust off my Beta-equipment, some records that haven't been played in awhile, re spark my love for music and everything audio. I'm certain I'm not the only one that becomes "Bored" with their collection. How many times have you flipped through your library of music and just can't decide on what to listen to?

The machine i use is a Sony EDV 7300 (ED Beta)...Very Top quality...

I should also note that I really intended to focus on Beta and not VHS. To me VHS, although good, isn't the quality that Beta provides when it comes to record quality. And please folks, this is not an opportunity to start an argument as to which format is better then the other. Both formats have their virtues.

My favorite format however, is vinyl.

-- 09 Nov 2018 13:03 --

@ JeffMacwood

Great, that is fantastic. Its fun playing some old tapes that were once recorded way back when... Besides, I love seeing "level Meters" going and all the Doo-Flingies doing their thing.