Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Mon Nov 12, 2018 2:32 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 110 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
 Post subject: Cable lifters
PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 9:45 am 

Good or snake oil?
Aaron

Post subject: Re: Cable lifters
PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:22 am 
Premium User

I tried, didn't hear improvement

YMMV

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:25 am 

anthemman wrote:
Good or snake oil?
Aaron

As with any tweak, it is best to do some testing yourself to determine their effects sound.

If there is no difference, at least the cables are off the floor.

Mine hang in the air from amp to speakers...

Ohms

https://www.leohl.ca

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:45 am 

If there is a difference, adding something like this should be the very last thing you worry about. It's that last 0.000005%

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:58 am 

anthemman wrote:
Good or snake oil?
Aaron

Yes, pure snake oil. Not only useless, it kinda reflects poorly on those that use them.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 11:01 am 

...I run my speaker cables through half used toilet paper rolls...the two ply effect is soft...

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 11:44 am 

I was using a small black box that supports an anti gravity machine . This item was found in a comic book ad supported by the My Favourtie Martian tv show in the 50s. Yes Im old. The cables floated on top. Later I found the plasma field created by the box cased a very small induction of non related ions interfering with the electrons going to the speakers. I therefore had to abandon this improvement as I then heard voices saying there was still some distortion . Now they just lay on the floor and sound aok after years of theropy.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 12:09 pm 

Probably the least expensive tweak you could employ. You can purchase lifters for $10 each from at least one company I know of. Perhaps much cheaper if you make your own. At the very least you might want to get your cables away from the static electricity in your carpet. I use bare, unshielded, ultra thin (300 micro inch thickness), jacketless, ribbon cables. So lifting is essential.

Here is a descriptive quote I borrowed from a cable manufacturer...
'Odd as it may seem, laying audio cables on an artificial floor covering or fiber carpet or polyurethane-coated wood floor will immediately dull the sound of your stereo. And that’s true for all cables. Unfortunately, the floor is a huge mass of low quality insulation (dielectric). It absorbs and smears energy from the field around the wire. The effect is pretty grim, making music sound dulled, congested and harsh.'

Last edited by newmusic on Sun Nov 04, 2018 12:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 12:14 pm 

newmusic wrote:
Probably the least expensive tweak you could employ. You can purchase lifters for $10 each from at least one company I know of. Perhaps even cheaper if you make your own. At the very least you might want to get your cables away from the static electricity in your carpet. I use bare, unshielded ultra thin ribbon cables. So lifting is essential.

'Odd as it may seem, laying audio cables on an artificial floor covering or fiber carpet or polyurethane-coated wood floor will immediately dull the sound of your stereo. And that’s true for all cables. Unfortunately, the floor is a huge mass of low quality insulation (dielectric). It absorbs and smears energy from the field around the wire. The effect is pretty grim, making music sound dulled, congested and harsh.'

They would say that.

And I laugh in their general direction.

Jeff

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 12:24 pm 

JeffMackwood wrote:
newmusic wrote:
Probably the least expensive tweak you could employ. You can purchase lifters for $10 each from at least one company I know of. Perhaps even cheaper if you make your own. At the very least you might want to get your cables away from the static electricity in your carpet. I use bare, unshielded ultra thin ribbon cables. So lifting is essential.

They would say that.

Jeff

The quote came from a company whose owner and designer has an engineering background designing wiring for military fighter jets among other things. Who am I to argue. They sell cable lifters for $10 each, hardly a rip off. If you look at the construction, I would say they are losing money on these things. Offering them more as a public service so that users can hear their cables full potential.

Laugh all you want. Have you tried any lifters? Perhaps you can list your relevant electrical/electronic engineering experience in order to refute their claims.

Last edited by newmusic on Sun Nov 04, 2018 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 12:25 pm 

JeffMackwood wrote:
newmusic wrote:

They would say that.

Jeff

And the red blanket has been waved.... :D

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 12:30 pm 

Years ago I had read something something similar to what newmusic mentioned. Went to Home Depot and bought some hollow T shape pipe fittings for less than a dollar each; put some putty / plaster in the bottom to give it weight; spray painted them a bright purple; cut up some yellow foam craft sheets that the wife had and put them in the bottom for the speaker cable to lay on and then fed the speaker cable through. Can't say that it made it any noticeable improvement to the sound, but they look cool.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 12:42 pm 

Further reading at the web site reveals they recommend around 6-8 inches up from the floor for fully minimizing dielectric interference with the cables electrical field.
I own a set of their interconnects, as well as several other pairs from various other manufacturers. Comparing wires from other companies I can hear small but noticeable variations in tone, level of detail, and balance. But with the interconnect from this one specific company, the sound is literally light years better. Like a complete component upgrade rather than a subtle improvement. However, ultra thin, jacketless, bare copper ribbon, is not for everyone. Based on their cable performance compared to others ive tried, and they say cable lifters are essential, who am I to argue.
Personally I noticed a small improvement when lifting my cables. Before I learned about dielectric interference I just assumed the small improvement was a result of isolating the cables from vibrations.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 12:54 pm 
Premium User

I own a system who’s retail price is approaching 85k. I have some speaker cable lifters employed into the system and cannot say I am experiencing a higher listening experience as a result, or at least any discernible audible improvement. That does not necessarily mean it does not exist , it simply means I am not able to detect any improvement. These cable lifters were received as a gift and I feel have more to do with cosmetic presentation than actual scientifically proven improvement. Again, like all things in audio, if you cannot hear an improvement, then there is no “ heard “ improvement, so why spend the money. I think the term “ snake oil “ might be a bit aggressive, yet I could use the phrase “ no audible or detectable improvement “ would be reasonable, at least in my case.

-- 04 Nov 2018 15:55 --

I own a system who’s retail price is approaching 85k. I have some speaker cable lifters employed into the system and cannot say I am experiencing a higher listening experience as a result, or at least any discernible audible improvement. That does not necessarily mean it does not exist , it simply means I am not able to detect any improvement. These cable lifters were received as a gift and I feel have more to do with cosmetic presentation than actual scientifically proven improvement. Again, like all things in audio, if you cannot hear an improvement, then there is no “ heard “ improvement, so why spend the money. I think the term “ snake oil “ might be a bit aggressive, yet I could use the phrase “ no audible or detectable improvement “ would be reasonable, at least in my case.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 1:00 pm 
Premium User

I've used retail cable lifters and made my own. Not sure if they make any difference, sad because I wanted them to. I'd need to see documented 3rd party blind testing to believe there is an audible change to a system when they are introduced. They are championed by snake oil addicts, that doesn't help the cause. They look neat in some setups.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 110 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next