Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Thu Dec 13, 2018 11:50 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 5:39 am 

Hi All,
Decided I wanted an old school system but would like to know the best way to hook up an iPod to it. The amp does have a CD input if that matters.
Thanks for any/all help.
River

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 5:51 am 

The Aux or the CD input should work fine. Make sure you have the volume on your iPad at max and use the volume on your amp/receiver/preamp.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 5:55 am 

Thanks Robbie!
I was more wanting to know the 'cabling method'.
Is there a iPod pin to RCA jack?
Or headphone to RCA or something?
River

-- Nov 1st, '18, 07:56 --

I just joined yesterday.
How do I get into the 'For Sale' forum?
Thanks

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 6:03 am 

A Quick google search "ipod 30 pin to RCA" came up with this:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/ ... _ipod.html

This by-passes the iPod volume control but still uses it's DAC. There are some devices that contain a DAC and uses the iPOD's digital out.

~A

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 6:06 am 

rwjriver wrote:
Thanks Robbie!
I was more wanting to know the 'cabling method'.
Is there a iPod pin to RCA jack?
Or headphone to RCA or something?
River

-- Nov 1st, '18, 07:56 --

I just joined yesterday.
Thanks

You just need a 1/4" headphone jack --> Male RCA cable. Any Best Buy or other electronics store will have this for like $10. You can't go from out from the iphone plug to RCA because it would output a digital signal which would require a DAC.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 6:07 am 

rwjriver wrote:
I just joined yesterday.
Thanks
There's no for sale forum. But classifieds.
Go there : https://www.canuckaudiomart.com/classifieds/all/

Balance MC-1010 phono stage... in progress (week 2)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 6:17 am 

I would also look for an ipod powered docking station that has rca outputs. Some docking stations can be controlled by a remote if that interests you.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 6:17 am 
Premium User

Find a "dock cradle" on ebay so you can plug in a cable to charge it, and still use the audio out through the onboard DAC.

The "Apple" ones have a separate charge port and audio out port.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 6:22 am 

I should've asked -- how old is the iPOD? Newer one's you can use a bluetooth adaptor hooked to your stereo via RCA's. And the iPOD connector is the smaller 8-pin -- and yes, it does output analog line out AND digital as well, so the above statement saying it doesn't is mis-informed. Well, at least on the classics it does. On my Touch I use both methods.

~A

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 6:27 am 

How about a Teac CD player with USB port for playing your IPod?

http://audio.teac.com/product/cd-p650/

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/ ... h_USB.html

Also available on Amazon.ca but the link won't work here?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 7:01 am 

If your iPod has the older 30 pin connector, I would recommend a used Pure i20 dock. It bypasses the iPod internal DAC and allows you to use the i20 DAC or digital out to an outboard DAC of your choice. I still use mine to this day and very happy with it.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 7:22 am 

@rwjriver, which model iPod do you have ? The issue is the output connector, whether it is the older 30-pin or the newer 8-pin Lightning.

In both cases the best quality available is the raw digital signal. Either connector can output that. The technique for getting it will differ.

If that raw digital signal is taken to an external DAC, you will find its quality to be excellent, on a par with very expensive sources — although it will not yield a resolution over 24/48. ( Mileage may vary with the very latest iPods, which I have not tried. )

When you go to an external DAC, it doesn't have to be an expensive one, to yield sound which is improved in comparison to the iPod's own analog output. The FiiO Taishan, for example, is cheap and effective.

The Taishan and other DACs have left and right analog audio outputs. A standard stereo audio cable with RCA plugs is all you need to take the music from there to your older amplifier. A good-quality cable, one with good connectors especially, will be of audible benefit.

A great many iPod and iPhone docks, with either 30-pin or Lightning connectors, will give you the two left and right analog audio outputs. The advantages of these docks are that they are easy to find, they eliminate the extra box and cable of the external DAC, and they bypass the iPod's internal headphone amplifier.

That internal amplifier's output is available from the iPod's headphone output jack. It is number three, or last, in order of potential sound quality. The digital output is first. But if you are going to use the headphone jack, a good cable, one with good connectors, will help you get the best possible results.

You can get the digital output from a 30-pin iPod by using a PURE i-20 dock, a RATOC RL-1648, an ARCAM drDock, and there may be more. Unfortunately they have to be found used, since they are all discontinued — just like Apple's 30-pin connector. They require a single optical or coaxial ( RCA-type connector ) cable to run from the dock to your DAC. If this cable is the coaxial type, it should be 1.5 metres long, for best sound.

You can get digital output from a Lightning-connector iPod by using Apple's USB-to-Lightning Camera Adapter. You will need a USB cable to connect the adapter to your DAC. ( Obviously the DAC has to have a USB input. ) You may also, depending on your DAC's power needs, have to keep your iPod connected to its charger.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:49 pm 

I have a couple 160GB iPod Classics. I use the out put from a Pure i-20 dock into a Cambridge Audio DacMagic.
I use a 1.5M optical cable. The sound is a substantial improvement from the Pure i-20, which was no slouch itself.
Both of mine have the 30 pin connector.
As Toby mentioned, you'll have to keep an eye on the used market. Suitable docks do pop up occasionally.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:57 pm 

Use the Yamaha CDS300 as an ipod dock. Connect the ipod to the front usb port. This is a digital connection bypassing the ipod DAC and uses the CD player DAC. Works with the old 30 pin connector or the newer lightning connector for the later ipod, iphone and ipad with the appropriate cable. You get a CD player thrown in. The cd player remote control works as a remote control for the ipod too! Better hurry, the newer Yamaha devices (such as amps and receivers) do not have this feature.

https://www.amazon.ca/Yamaha-CD-S300BL-Natural-Sound-Player/dp/B00916E6FE/ref=sr_1_3?tag=canuckca-20" target="_blank">https://www.amazon.ca/Yamaha-CD-S300BL- ... aha+cds300

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 5:23 am 

Simple solution is a 3.5 mm headphone to male RCA cable.These are available many places including Amazon.ca.