Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Sat Nov 17, 2018 11:51 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 276 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 19  Next
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 3:12 pm 

So I just saw the Darko Audio review for the Hegel H590 and thought I'd take a look into the price. I'm well aware that their gear is made in China, which isn't the topic of this thread really but it's somewhat related... anyway

Considering that the amp is made in China, is this price reasonable or fair? It puts it into the 5 figure price range which can get you an Accuphase or Luxman top of the line integrated. Or even Pass Labs.

I was honestly very surprised at this price, I thought it would be about half of the price it's going for.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 3:22 pm 

Audio gear reaching towards the stratosphere...must be amazing then right?

Expensive for the sake of being expensive. I laugh, others will get excited and buy it without a thought.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 3:24 pm 

msommers wrote:
Audio gear reaching towards the stratosphere...must be amazing then right?

Expensive for the sake of being expensive. I laugh, others will get excited and buy it without a thought.

Hey msommers. Actually, 'stratospheric priced gear' wasn't the point I was trying to make. Yes there are plenty of amps in the 5 figure range, like the aforementioned Accuphase, Luxman, and Pass. But I feel like those 3 brands belong in that price bracket. My initial thought is that the Hegel doesn't belong here.

If I'm wrong I'm open to hear why.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 3:27 pm 

yes, agree... I would not buy it.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 3:32 pm 
Dealer/Sponsor

iriszizka wrote:
So I just saw the Darko Audio review for the Hegel H590 and thought I'd take a look into the price. I'm well aware that their gear is made in China, which isn't the topic of this thread really but it's somewhat related... anyway

Considering that the amp is made in China, is this price reasonable or fair? It puts it into the 5 figure price range which can get you an Accuphase or Luxman top of the line integrated. Or even Pass Labs.

I was honestly very surprised at this price, I thought it would be about half of the price it's going for.

Yes, you can get Accuphase, Luxman or Pass for that money, but if you compare, you certainly get a lot more for your money with the Hegel H590. It has way more power than a Luxman or Accuphase. Only the Pass INT-250 gets remotely close in the power department. Then, with the Hegel you also get a very high-end DAC built-in and streaming capabilities as well that you don't get from the other three. So, if you want to equip the others will this calibre of DAC and streaming as well, the price goes up drastically. Even the review from SoundStage! said that the Gryphon Diablo 300 with DAC module will give you similar power specs and will cost you double the Hegel if you add the DAC module and they wouldn't say that one was better than the other, just different. So, in my opinion, the price is definitely reasonable for sure. Note: we're a Hegel dealer, so feel free to take this with a grain of salt if you like. But, I just wanted to point a couple of things out so we're comparing on an even playing field. Anders from Hegel in Norway visited us last week and we had a good chat about this piece. It's going to be pretty spectacular and should easily play in the league of the big name super-integrated amps.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 3:54 pm 
Dealer/Sponsor

Return on investment appears to be very high...

Here is the recent review of the Hegel H590 Integrated Amplifier. 8)

https://www.soundstagehifi.com/index.ph ... lifier-dac

We should also add the Pathos InPol Heritage to the list as this model is very special indeed. 8) 8)

And lastly, the Ypsilon Phaethon...stunning. 8) 8) 8)

Happy Listening,

MKoM, Toronto :D

Attachments:
Ypsilon Phaethon.jpg
Ypsilon Phaethon.jpg [ 161.8 KiB | Viewed 3095 times ]
Hegel H590.jpg
Hegel H590.jpg [ 232.32 KiB | Viewed 3121 times ]
Pathos Inpol Heritage Show.jpg
Pathos Inpol Heritage Show.jpg [ 92.42 KiB | Viewed 3121 times ]

MKOM represents designs which combine the pinnacle of Audio Engineering Excellence with in-house experience.
Visit: http://www.mykindofmusic.com

Last edited by corvigo2004 on Fri Oct 26, 2018 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 4:07 pm 
Premium User

Designed and engineered in Norway...made under strict supervision in China...made practically anywhere else would cost a lot more.

Hegel is a well respected brand Internationally having won many awards and accolades...

I would take it over the three brands mentioned in a heartbeat. 8)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 4:08 pm 

Everest Audio wrote:
Yes, you can get Accuphase, Luxman or Pass for that money, but if you compare, you certainly get a lot more for your money with the Hegel H590. It has way more power than a Luxman or Accuphase.
Well, I disagree here. I heard the Hegel 360, really good.
The 590 has the same amplifying part, just some streaming capability + Spotify + DSD + MQA have been added, like close to a computer.
But better than Accuphase ?! No. Not at all.
Yes, maybe the Hegel has a built-in DAC but for the sonic, Accuphase is in another league.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 4:12 pm 
Premium User

Nakamichel wrote:
Everest Audio wrote:
Yes, you can get Accuphase, Luxman or Pass for that money, but if you compare, you certainly get a lot more for your money with the Hegel H590. It has way more power than a Luxman or Accuphase.
The 590 has the same amplifying part, just some streaming capability + Spotify + DSD + MQA have been added, like close to a computer.
Yes, maybe the Hegel has a built-in DAC but for the sonic, Accuphase is in another league.

Hegel H360 retails for $7,000.00...I find it hard to believe that the only difference between the two is that the 590 has streaming, DSD + MQA...

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 4:14 pm 
Premium User

As soon as someone provides details and pics of direct gear comparisons with the mentioned brands this will be a useful conversation.

I'm a big fan of the H360 but it wasn't quite as good as the Luxman 590A II and Moon 600i in my room. The owner of the Hegel felt the same way. Maybe the new Hegel will be a different story.

Last edited by James_W on Fri Oct 26, 2018 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 4:16 pm 
Premium User

https://www.hegel.com/products/integrated/h590

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 4:19 pm 
Dealer/Sponsor

Nakamichel wrote:
Everest Audio wrote:

The amplification section is not the same at all. Plus, the DAC is at a completely higher level than in any of their past integrated amps. Not just added functionality. You can't say that it isn't better than the Accuphase. I'm not saying that either as I haven't heard the two side by side.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 4:23 pm 
Premium User

James_W wrote:
As soon as someone provides details and pics of direct gear comparisons with the mentioned brands this will be a useful conversation.

I'm a big fan of the H360 but it wasn't quite as good as the Luxman 590A II and Moon 600i in my room. The owner of the Hegel felt the same way. Maybe the new Hegel will be a different story.

Nor should it be considering the Luxman 590A II comes in around $12,000...nearly double that of the H360!!!

Simaudio Moon 600i retails for just under $11,000.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 4:28 pm 

Voodoo Funk wrote:
Nakamichel wrote:
Everest Audio wrote:

Hegel H360 retails for $7,000.00...I find it hard to believe that the only difference between the two is that the 590 has streaming, DSD + MQA...
It is also more powerful.

Everest Audio wrote:
The amplification section is not the same at all.
Since you said you didn't heard both side by side, that means
that you saw the schematic, right ? No ?! Ah but I did ! There's some difference but minors.

Last edited by Nakamichel on Fri Oct 26, 2018 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 4:29 pm 
Premium User

Everest Audio wrote:
The amplification section is not the same at all. Plus, the DAC is at a completely higher level than in any of their past integrated amps.

That's what I like about Hegel. Any higher up model delivers an increased performance in all aspects. I never heard a new or higher up model and questioned the increase in price.

The H360 is still one of the best and most neutral sounding single box solutions available.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 276 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 19  Next