Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Wed Dec 12, 2018 4:15 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 8:44 am 
Premium User

I got back into this hobby a couple of years ago, purchasing an entry level Clearaudio Concept Wood turntable with the Satisfy Black arm and Concept MM cartridge. I’ve subsequently swapped the cartridge out for the Concept MC. Using an iPhono II phono preamp. It has done its job but lacks bass heft and the dynamics are a bit restricted.

After attending the Toronto Audio Fest last weekend I couldn’t get over some of the turntable hardware on display, which has in turn triggered the upgrade bug. I am interested to hear from fellow analog lovers what their upgrade path has been and if they have been living with their “endgame” turntable for years with no plans to change. I am thinking that rather than incrementally upgrade, only to want to upgrade again a couple of years down the road, I would stretch and buy something (used) that will keep me happy for years to come. Thinking C$10k for table and arm. Thanks.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:25 am 

Take a look at a Kronos Sparta and raise the end game price tag to $21,500 US MSRP

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:37 am 
Premium User

racecars wrote:
Take a look at a Kronos Sparta and raise the end game price tag to $21,500 US MSRP

No kidding! saw one in the KEF room at the Audio Fest. Absolutely stunning. And Canadian!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:42 am 

I liked the simplicity of the Well tempered that was being shown at Charisma.

Also liked the Yamaha table.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:02 am 

Hi Tangram,

Good question. For a lot less than $10K (I am a value hound) I bought a Gold Note Valore 425 Plus (Acrylique) about three years ago. I saw one on the cover of NOVO and just wanted it. Turned out when I found one, the wife said, 'you are going to buy it aren't you?'. First time for that kind of comment in almost 50 years.

The all-acrylic unit is (I am not sure you can get it now) very heavy with many pounds extra added by the see- through plinth when compared to the leather wrapped wood plinth version of the Valore, which is, below your aspirations. It has a separate speed controller that keeps the timing rock steady and a German designed and built 9" arm (B5.1) that is well regarded in Europe. It replaced an Ariston RD11S with a Grace 707 in my system. Gold Note also builds the TT for Bryston.

There was a huge issue, chronicled on CAM, where the ground foil in the arm was defective due to negligence on the part of the techie at the shop where it was purchased and set-up. It took months to fix but Tri-Cell and Gold Note replaced the entire arm assembly and it has been blemish free ever since. I did replace the stock tone-arm cable with a Audio Sensibility OCC copper cable, which delivered a huge positive change.

I have run several cartridges through it and the arm is adjustable on ALL axes, a nice feature. I plan on putting a Dynavector 10x5 in it next. So far, so good. No regrets about saying ta-ta to the Ariston. The models up the food chain might interest you - the Giglio and the Medatteraneo - Italian styling complete.

Cheers,
David Neice

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:30 am 
Premium User

I really enjoy my LP12.......would I move on from it? Maybe.

Things that have caught my eye are ClearAudio Turntables - I'm in love with my Clearaudio Phono Preamp so one of their TT would make sense....or an Oracle to add more Canadian Content to my setup......

Of course I could just move up the Linn line of upgrades.........

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:43 am 

:D I wouldn't go to the extreme but would select from the following: Xerxes 20Plus, Technics 1200G, Linn Lp12, But I would probably pick the Luxman pd-171. There are a lot of awesome tt out there today. I've heard that the new Reloop turn 5[German design but a super Hanpin sourced], is very musical. Just put a better cartridge on it and you'll only be limited by the arm which can handle MC's. The turn 5 is for music lovers not DJ's. I do realize Reloop is dj based. So many great choices, how can you go wrong? You can even buy a levitating tt if that is your thing.! :) :roll:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 11:55 am 

When I bought my LP 12, the plan was to upgrade it gradually until I had the whole package. Unfortunately Linn upgrades are extremely pricey. The table will stay as is.
If I hit the Lotto Max though, I'm hot footin' it to my dealer.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 1:09 pm 

I am still using my Oracle MkII from the late 80's, it has an upgraded power supply and main bearing.
The Rega RB300 arm that was purchased with the table has been changed to an Origin Live Illustrious arm.
This combination along with My ZYX cart and Tom Evans phono stage will be staying with me for many many more years.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 2:08 pm 

Lenco L75...I have 2 and I'm done.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 2:22 pm 

marc mc wrote:
Lenco L75...I have 2 and I'm done.

Marc, do you have any upgrades on the L75's? I have L70 and everyone around me wants me to upgrade the arm, which I refuse to do since I like the original vintage table look. Will pair that arm with DL-110 Denon one day.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 2:34 pm 

:D I did forget to mention I'm pretty happy with my Roksan Xerxes with alphason arm. It still does the job. :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 3:17 pm 

I have a Rega RP8, I'd like to get a Koetsu black one day for it, that's about as far up as ill climb.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 3:32 pm 

Like KVN63, I'm currently running an Oracle Delphi MKII. Long term, my plan is to sell it, and an Oracle Alexandria MKII that I have, and use the funds to move up to a Delphi MKVI. I love the look, the performance, and the continuing support for older product. The fact that they're Canadian is just a little icing on the cake!

Cheers, Dave

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 3:38 pm 

I am a Linn Lp12 guy. I always wanted one. Back in the 90's I purchased a Linn Basik with an Akito tone arm. Last year I finally purchased an Lp12. I bought a mid 80's Lp12 with a IttokII tone arm and Nagaoka MP300. This spring I sold that turntable and purchased a Lp12 Majik that my local dealer had as a demo. I know that I am going to stay with this turntable forever. And one day I aspire to bring it to the fully loaded Klimax level.