Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Tue Nov 20, 2018 2:21 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: MC cartridge anyone?
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 2:51 pm 

First Post !!!
For anyone in the market for a new MC cartridge there's a smokin' deal on a Audio Technica AT-OC9iii on Amazon.ca $618cdn
RRSP is $999.00 US
I just replaced a Denon DL-103r (of unknown origin) with the above, quite the upgrade IMHO.
Just my 2cents

Post subject: Re: MC cartridge anyone?
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 2:59 pm 

...hey man...welcome to the forums...(long time "lurking" 8) )...what's your TT, arm and phono stage?...the reason I ask...I'm considering a LO/lx MC to replace my Goldring Eroica

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 4:03 pm 

doogle wrote:
First Post !!!
For anyone in the market for a new MC cartridge there's a smokin' deal on a Audio Technica AT-OC9iii on Amazon.ca $618cdn
RRSP is $999.00 US
I just replaced a Denon DL-103r (of unknown origin) with the above, quite the upgrade IMHO.
Just my 2cents

I found the same results going from the aluminum body 103 to an AT OC 9.
Maybe not in the same price range as yours but it was a significant step up the chain for me.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 5:00 pm 

First you guys let everyone know about the great Marantz Best-Buy mistake for a great receiver/processor.... so I bought one... now you guys tell me about a cartridge I have been debating for a while. so I bought one.... my wife really doesn't like you people...LOL...LOL...

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 5:17 pm 

Dangerous post. I would be killed if I bought one.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 5:41 pm 

scarbpaul12 wrote:
Dangerous post. I would be killed if I bought one.
And me killed if I don't !!! :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 6:10 pm 

It's at $629 now and only 5 left.
https://www.amazon.ca/Audio-Technica-ATOC9III-Phonograph-Cartridge/dp/B002T6NZM8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1540346713&sr=8-1&keywords=Audio+AT-OC9

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 6:38 pm 

When I purchased mine three weeks ago, it was the last one - that's Amazon
I am very happy with, a new vinyl collection.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 6:47 pm 

Very tempting, if the impedance matched my SUT it would be a slam dunk..still, might be close enough.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 1:28 am 

I love mine, really good cart.
Very sensitive to setup though so take your time aligning and setting it up properly.

Attachment:
24467.jpg
24467.jpg [ 159.83 KiB | Viewed 323 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 6:05 am 
Dealer/Sponsor

FYI, A-T had about 7-8 cartridges available in Canada last year. (Via a distributor, IIRC)

Nearly 30 models available now. I think that A-T has now taken over their Canadian distribution, and it is now located in the USA. This means the cross border premium is no longer in effect. The cross border premium is due to lower purchase levels for the distributor (lower population than the USA), which can mean a higher single unit cost. Then the costs of said distribution are higher per unit than the USA, in all ways possible, in most cases.

This tends to add up to a 0 to 25% premium for Canadian distributed items. I've seen it be as high as 100% premiums. due to the international nature of some manufacturers...Canada ranks low and is not really looked at, and sometimes price gouging can occur. And the manufacturer will do nothing as product is being purchased by the said distributor...it is being sold... and well and properly supported. It is functioning and functioning well, so they leave it alone. The manufacturer is moving product. And for them, that's the important part. The only part that counts.

As well, NAFTA's renegotiation may have changed things a little, re recent lower prices overall. However, all the cash is siphoned out of canada, and directly to the USA financial coffers. Drip drip drip, but it really adds up, if one knows how money flow works in international vs national affairs in the western banking system.

Canadian distribution, well handled, is a good thing. but people don't see anything other than the cash in their wallet and pass the financial breakdown on to others. This is the core reason why we've only ever had the $20 duty thing for Canada, as anything else drains the country of it's cash flow and functionality via a constant drip of all small goods. The USA changed their import and duty free level from $200 to $800us in 2016, IIRC. Canada's has been at $20 for a very long time. 40+ years, IIRC. With the new Nafta agreement, it moves up to $150 cdn, and slightly higher amounts may even be ignored, it depends (on the individual scenario).

But it does mean that the web market for smaller purchases of lets say, a $140 phono cartridge, Records, you name it, will completely dry up for Canadian resellers and distributors. and the USA and china, etc.... will completely take over some of the lifeblood of Canadian distributors and it will weaken the economy even further.

Some will even go all 'walmart' on Canadian distributors and advertise things at below cost, in Canadian markets, in order to kill off the Canadian distributors. then once they've got the area under marketing control, bring the prices back up. Watch for it.

regardless of all that, nice cartridge, I've always liked the sound of A-T cartridges. Sometimes amazon has good prices, but when I look for what I want, generally, the prices are highest on amazon. Thus, I've never shopped there, not even once.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:19 am 

I enjoyed reading Ken's rant about, cross border trading issues and tariffs and hidden taxes and distributor and retailer gouging, to put it in a nutshell.
My experience: I looked for a good deal on a good cartridge from a Canadian retailer, result and surprise: Amazon.Ca. I purchased at approx. half the Canada RRSP ??
If the government allow profits from such companies to be syphoned out of the country then it is their fault for the crap agreements they make. Why should I go to a Audio Dealer and pay twice the price for an item plus 15% HST (NS) plus shipping. My financial situation just wouldn't allow for such a purchase.
I agree with Ken's take on the impact of such trading and would like to see things improve for small business but most people look to a good deal and the cash in pocket, that's life for the wage earner.
I could go on forever about where the problems lie but would then be afraid to walk into an Embassy.
Enough politics! so let's just stick to the great hobby of HiFi and Music enjoyment, because after we shell out the cash, however much,
the rest is free - enjoyment, that is until they find a way to tax that too.
Doogle

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 8:40 am 

doogle wrote:
I enjoyed reading Ken's rant about, cross border trading issues and tariffs and hidden taxes and distributor and retailer gouging, to put it in a nutshell.
My experience: I looked for a good deal on a good cartridge from a Canadian retailer, result and surprise: Amazon.Ca. I purchased at approx. half the Canada RRSP ??
If the government allow profits from such companies to be syphoned out of the country then it is their fault for the crap agreements they make. Why should I go to a Audio Dealer and pay twice the price for an item plus 15% HST (NS) plus shipping. My financial situation just wouldn't allow for such a purchase.
I agree with Ken's take on the impact of such trading and would like to see things improve for small business but most people look to a good deal and the cash in pocket, that's life for the wage earner.
I could go on forever about where the problems lie but would then be afraid to walk into an Embassy.
Enough politics! so let's just stick to the great hobby of HiFi and Music enjoyment, because after we shell out the cash, however much,
the rest is free - enjoyment, that is until they find a way to tax that too.
Doogle

Remember that Canadian corporations only pay taxes on profits, therefore, less profits, less taxes. Less goods purchased in Canada, less consumption tax collected. Less taxes collected = need to increase tax revenue or reduction in services. As the Midas commercial use to say...you pay me now or pay me later.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 8:58 am 
Dealer/Sponsor

This is why I don't shop at amazon. Ever. I stopped looking, at all, long ago.

the basic cases we use for our cables. amazon price:

nanuk 903

and the Street price, from somewhere else. anywhere else:

https://www.productioncase.com/nanuk-903-graphite

https://www.henrys.com/77703-NANUK-903- ... -CASE.aspx

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/ ... _with.html

https://www.vistek.ca/store/267749/nanu ... cubed-foam

https://www.hardcases.ca/products/nanuk-903

and when doing such searching hundreds of times with any given item....and seeing the same pattern hundreds of times with Amazon pricing, you can bet I never look any more.... So amazon having a low price is an anomaly, with a history of it being exactly that way.

These cases are manufactured in Quebec. We support Canadian business.

Last edited by Teo Audio on Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:04 am, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:00 am 
Premium User

Tutone wrote:
First you guys let everyone know about the great Marantz Best-Buy mistake for a great receiver/processor.... so I bought one... now you guys tell me about a cartridge I have been debating for a while. so I bought one.... my wife really doesn't like you people...LOL...LOL...

I missed the Best-Buy deal but didn't miss this one......

I was going to send my Sound-Smith in to be checked/repaired (suspension seems soft? sits really really close to LP) but won't worry about that for a while now with this AT!