Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Sun Nov 18, 2018 5:21 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:03 pm 

Hi All,

I am contemplating purchasing the SimAudio 240i integrated amplifier. Just wondering if anyone had any experience with this amp? Looks like the difference between 240i and 250i is that 240i has a phono stage and a DAC built in whereas the 250i has no DAC/phono stage.

I am currently using Moon LP110 as my phono stage and PS Audio DirectLink III as my DAC.

Thanks. :D

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:44 pm 

Simaudio makes a great Canadian built product with an outstanding warranty. Powerful amps that usually double up into 4 ohms. Great sounding amps also. :D

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 2:47 pm 

I had a 250i and liked it although I use a different amp now. I’ve not heard a 240 but I’d wonder if there was an improvement to the DAC and phonostage you already have?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 4:01 pm 

Gerhard Roemer wrote:
... Powerful amps that usually double up into 4 ohms. Great sounding amps also. :D

As the 240i is only an 'Entry-level' Integrated Amplifier... The Rated Output Power @ 4 Ω is not double the Output Power @ 8 Ω.
--
@Priyo...

What are you presently using for Power? Also, if you should decide to just stick with your current DAC and Phono...
There is a really, good deal on a Fully Tested/Refurbished 250i out there right now @ 59% Off...
(If it has not already been SOLD of course).

Thank-you!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 4:21 pm 

Takira71A wrote:
Gerhard Roemer wrote:
... Powerful amps that usually double up into 4 ohms. Great sounding amps also. :D

As the 240i is only an 'Entry-level' Integrated Amplifier... The Rated Output Power @ 4 Ω is not double the Output Power @ 8 Ω.
--
@Priyo...

What are you presently using for Power? Also, if you should decide to just stick with your current DAC and Phono...
There is a really, good deal on a Fully Tested/Refurbished 250i out there right now @ 59% Off...

Thank-you!

My Neo 220i is 40 watts at 8 ohms and 80 watts into 4 ohms.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 4:40 pm 
Premium User

To my ears the 250i had more grip on the speakers I tried with it (Totem Signature One and Arro.) From what little I could see from above the transformer was larger.

Is the 240i class A to 5 watts? Does it have bipolar output transistors? I couldn't see anything online to be sure. The output power doesn't double down @ 4 ohms, which might not matter to you.

The Hegel integrated amps are nice all in one solutions as well.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 6:45 am 

I am using Marantz Model 240 for power currently!

Takira71A wrote:
Gerhard Roemer wrote:

--
@Priyo...

Thank-you!

-- 24 Oct 2018 15:52 --

James, only the 250i is Class A to 5 watts and not the 240i. Also, the 250i transformer is larger and uses bi-polar output transistors (whatever that means 8) . My speakers are 8 ohms.

James_W wrote:
To my ears the 250i had more grip on the speakers I tried with it (Totem Signature One and Arro.) From what little I could see from above the transformer was larger.

Is the 240i class A to 5 watts? Does it have bipolar output transistors? I couldn't see anything online to be sure. The output power doesn't double down @ 4 ohms, which might not matter to you.

The Hegel integrated amps are nice all in one solutions as well.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 11:30 am 

There are a few key differences between the 240i and 250i. Besides the obvious inclusion of the DAC and phono stage (MM only) in the 240i, the 250i's one and only advantage is its slightly extra power supply headroom that is largely irrelevant in most real-world applications unless your musical needs meet all the following criteria: you play music (very) loud, your speakers are very inefficient and/or your speakers dip to below 4 ohms at certain frequencies. Under such conditions the 250i will provide a bit more bass slam, tightness and articulation. Feature-wise, the 240i excels in every possible way over the 250i. Sonically, the 240i has greater stereo separation and therefore more soundstage width, thanks in part to its superior attenuation circuit which is a trickle-down of that used in bigger models. The output section of the 240i is indeed bipolar like all MOON amplifiers (a user asked that question earlier in this thread), and at low power levels it will run in Class A.

Costa Koulisakis
Simaudio Ltd.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 6:12 pm 

For sure, Simaudio products are great. Just got a Celeste I-5080. Old model, but great sound. I am planning to have it checked because I found the transformer a bit noisy and the A/C inlet loose. Someone said it's normal. Not sure ...
Will love to try the 240i.