Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Sun Nov 18, 2018 5:21 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:03 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2016 5:44 pm
Posts: 10
Location: Mississauga, ON, CA
Hi All,

I am contemplating purchasing the SimAudio 240i integrated amplifier. Just wondering if anyone had any experience with this amp? Looks like the difference between 240i and 250i is that 240i has a phono stage and a DAC built in whereas the 250i has no DAC/phono stage.

I am currently using Moon LP110 as my phono stage and PS Audio DirectLink III as my DAC.

Thanks. :D


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:44 pm 
Online

Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2016 6:01 pm
Posts: 601
Location: Winnipeg, MB, CA
Simaudio makes a great Canadian built product with an outstanding warranty. Powerful amps that usually double up into 4 ohms. Great sounding amps also. :D


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 2:47 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:17 pm
Posts: 858
Location: Riverview, NB, CA
I had a 250i and liked it although I use a different amp now. I’ve not heard a 240 but I’d wonder if there was an improvement to the DAC and phonostage you already have?


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 4:01 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2011 8:14 am
Posts: 250
Location: Windsor, ON, CA
Gerhard Roemer wrote:
... Powerful amps that usually double up into 4 ohms. Great sounding amps also. :D

As the 240i is only an 'Entry-level' Integrated Amplifier... The Rated Output Power @ 4 Ω is not double the Output Power @ 8 Ω.
--
@Priyo...

What are you presently using for Power? Also, if you should decide to just stick with your current DAC and Phono...
There is a really, good deal on a Fully Tested/Refurbished 250i out there right now @ 59% Off...
(If it has not already been SOLD of course).

Thank-you!


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 4:21 pm 
Online

Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2016 6:01 pm
Posts: 601
Location: Winnipeg, MB, CA
Takira71A wrote:
Gerhard Roemer wrote:
... Powerful amps that usually double up into 4 ohms. Great sounding amps also. :D

As the 240i is only an 'Entry-level' Integrated Amplifier... The Rated Output Power @ 4 Ω is not double the Output Power @ 8 Ω.
--
@Priyo...

What are you presently using for Power? Also, if you should decide to just stick with your current DAC and Phono...
There is a really, good deal on a Fully Tested/Refurbished 250i out there right now @ 59% Off...
(If it has not already been SOLD of course).

Thank-you!

My Neo 220i is 40 watts at 8 ohms and 80 watts into 4 ohms.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 4:40 pm 
Online
Premium User
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jan 24, 2009 3:36 pm
Posts: 4430
Location: Vernon, BC, CA
To my ears the 250i had more grip on the speakers I tried with it (Totem Signature One and Arro.) From what little I could see from above the transformer was larger.

Is the 240i class A to 5 watts? Does it have bipolar output transistors? I couldn't see anything online to be sure. The output power doesn't double down @ 4 ohms, which might not matter to you.

The Hegel integrated amps are nice all in one solutions as well.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 6:45 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2016 5:44 pm
Posts: 10
Location: Mississauga, ON, CA
I am using Marantz Model 240 for power currently!

Takira71A wrote:
Gerhard Roemer wrote:
... Powerful amps that usually double up into 4 ohms. Great sounding amps also. :D

As the 240i is only an 'Entry-level' Integrated Amplifier... The Rated Output Power @ 4 Ω is not double the Output Power @ 8 Ω.
--
@Priyo...

What are you presently using for Power? Also, if you should decide to just stick with your current DAC and Phono...
There is a really, good deal on a Fully Tested/Refurbished 250i out there right now @ 59% Off...
(If it has not already been SOLD of course).

Thank-you!


-- 24 Oct 2018 15:52 --

James, only the 250i is Class A to 5 watts and not the 240i. Also, the 250i transformer is larger and uses bi-polar output transistors (whatever that means 8) . My speakers are 8 ohms.

James_W wrote:
To my ears the 250i had more grip on the speakers I tried with it (Totem Signature One and Arro.) From what little I could see from above the transformer was larger.

Is the 240i class A to 5 watts? Does it have bipolar output transistors? I couldn't see anything online to be sure. The output power doesn't double down @ 4 ohms, which might not matter to you.

The Hegel integrated amps are nice all in one solutions as well.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 11:30 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Dec 27, 2007 12:51 pm
Posts: 49
Location: Boucherville, QC, CA
There are a few key differences between the 240i and 250i. Besides the obvious inclusion of the DAC and phono stage (MM only) in the 240i, the 250i's one and only advantage is its slightly extra power supply headroom that is largely irrelevant in most real-world applications unless your musical needs meet all the following criteria: you play music (very) loud, your speakers are very inefficient and/or your speakers dip to below 4 ohms at certain frequencies. Under such conditions the 250i will provide a bit more bass slam, tightness and articulation. Feature-wise, the 240i excels in every possible way over the 250i. Sonically, the 240i has greater stereo separation and therefore more soundstage width, thanks in part to its superior attenuation circuit which is a trickle-down of that used in bigger models. The output section of the 240i is indeed bipolar like all MOON amplifiers (a user asked that question earlier in this thread), and at low power levels it will run in Class A.

Costa Koulisakis
Simaudio Ltd.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 6:12 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jun 20, 2006 7:58 pm
Posts: 54
Location: Gatineau, QC, CA
For sure, Simaudio products are great. Just got a Celeste I-5080. Old model, but great sound. I am planning to have it checked because I found the transformer a bit noisy and the A/C inlet loose. Someone said it's normal. Not sure ...
Will love to try the 240i.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 8 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Gerhard Roemer and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group