Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Wed Nov 21, 2018 11:00 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:05 pm 

I find that the dustcover on my Project Xtension 12 does not sit fully closed when I bring it down. It hovers about a quarter inch above the deck. Definitely hinges that are a bit tight and probably need some kind of lubing.

My son suggested that maybe the screws holding the hinges were too tight, but my instincts say its just dry and tight...

Machine oil? Silicone spray?

Any suggestions?

Cheers!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:25 pm 

Whole deck is broken. I'll take that off your hands! :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:34 pm 

Stay away from silicones. They make a mess. Try a little light oil, but my guess is your son is correct. I would try the oil, then loosen the screws a little bit. Do not force the top down as this make break something.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:35 pm 

Hey Bob!! I'm really liking the Maggies... except my buddies are now trying to get me to buy a bigger AMP! We tried it with a 3B, and it sounded much better then my measly 2B-LP, but am getting by with my Rogue Atlas.... for now.

I googled your TT after you left... the brochures says it has "adjustable hinges", so maybe back off the hinges screws a bit? Like my old DUAL, the spring tension in the hinge can be adjusted.

~Allan

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:36 pm 

brownslane wrote:
Stay away from silicones. They make a mess. Try a little light oil, but my guess is your son is correct. I would try the oil, then loosen the screws a little bit. Do not force the top down as this make break something.

It is not resisting coming down... still pliable, but stops short of the deck...

3 in one oil maybe ??

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:56 pm 

I'd suggest you check with your dealer and/or Project....
I've seen dust cover designs that are NOT intended to fully close, but are intentionally built so that they float a bit above the plinth. I can't recall the exact explanation, but they were trying to avoid creating a resonant structure that would increase the chances of feedback if you're playing records with the cover down.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:09 pm 

dcrooks wrote:
I'd suggest you check with your dealer and/or Project....
I've seen dust cover designs that are NOT intended to fully close, but are intentionally built so that they float a bit above the plinth. I can't recall the exact explanation, but they were trying to avoid creating a resonant structure that would increase the chances of feedback if you're playing records with the cover down.

I spoke to my dealer and his first suggestion was a light machine oil, but also advised to seek advice on the forums. To my knowledge, I am the only 12 that he has sold.

The cover did sit flat when I got it. There are some tiny rubber feet on the bottom corners meant to keep the lid from direct contact. I listen with it in the up position generally, and then drop it down when I am done. By design these Project dust covers have some resistance and don't drop down on their own like some other brands do.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 2:47 am 

I have an Xtension 10 which I assume has a similar setup. The lid on mine rests on pads in the front corners and leaves a 1/4” gap between the lid and the deck in its normal resting position. If the hinges need adjustment, there are small screws that adjust the pressure on the hinge that can be adjusted with a small flat screwdriver similar to what you would use with a cartridge or eyeglass repair. I would not be keen to lubricate the hinge as it may prevent the lid from staying in the up position or worse, leak into the screw holes and stain or lift the finish.
Beautiful table!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 6:40 am 

David P wrote:
I have an Xtension 10 which I assume has a similar setup. The lid on mine rests on pads in the front corners and leaves a 1/4” gap between the lid and the deck in its normal resting position. If the hinges need adjustment, there are small screws that adjust the pressure on the hinge that can be adjusted with a small flat screwdriver similar to what you would use with a cartridge or eyeglass repair. I would not be keen to lubricate the hinge as it may prevent the lid from staying in the up position or worse, leak into the screw holes and stain or lift the finish.
Beautiful table!

Thank you! I will try your advice. Glad I wasn't home to experiment last night...

Cheers.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 6:52 am 

mtjbob wrote:
David P wrote:
Beautiful table!

Thank you! I will try your advice. Glad I wasn't home to experiment last night...

Cheers.

No problem. It’s not quite clear to me in your post if the lid simply has a gap ( normal on mine) or the lid doesn’t allow the front pads to rest on the deck. Is the lid fully seated on the hinge post? On mine the rear of the lid doesn’t actually touch the deck.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:19 am 

David P wrote:
mtjbob wrote:
David P wrote:
Beautiful table!

Cheers.

No problem. It’s not quite clear to me in your post if the lid simply has a gap ( normal on mine) or the lid doesn’t allow the front pads to rest on the deck. Is the lid fully seated on the hinge post? On mine the rear of the lid doesn’t actually touch the deck.

The little rubber feet are hovering about a quarter inch above the deck instead of sitting flat. My lid is the same as yours in that when the feet are all the way down there is still a gap between the lid and the deck.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:32 am 
Premium User

TUFF OIL LUBIT 8
https://www.fluoramics.com/tufoil/lubit-8/
https://www.precisionroller.com/tufoil- ... 18815.html

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:58 am 

mtjbob wrote:
brownslane wrote:

It is not resisting coming down... still pliable, but stops short of the deck...

3 in one oil maybe ??

Could it be (maybe) designed intentional to stay off the plinth to avoid marking the surface (rub marks).
George

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:17 am 

[/quote]

No problem. It’s not quite clear to me in your post if the lid simply has a gap ( normal on mine) or the lid doesn’t allow the front pads to rest on the deck. Is the lid fully seated on the hinge post? On mine the rear of the lid doesn’t actually touch the deck.[/quote]

The little rubber feet are hovering about a quarter inch above the deck instead of sitting flat. My lid is the same as yours in that when the feet are all the way down there is still a gap between the lid and the deck.[/quote]

Only the front pads touch on my lid. Everywhere else, there is a 1/4” gap. No problems with it that way in almost 4 years.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 7:10 pm 

alzmtbr wrote:
Hey Bob!! I'm really liking the Maggies... except my buddies are now trying to get me to buy a bigger AMP! We tried it with a 3B, and it sounded much better then my measly 2B-LP, but am getting by with my Rogue Atlas.... for now.

I googled your TT after you left... the brochures says it has "adjustable hinges", so maybe back off the hinges screws a bit? Like my old DUAL, the spring tension in the hinge can be adjusted.

~Allan

Glad you are pleased with the Maggies!

I tried loosening the screws, but the posts are still tight. I am thinking they might need to be lubricated somehow.

Just questioning whether I should remove the hinges completely first.

Truthfully, I am nervous puttering around with it.

Maybe I should just dash an email off to Project.

-- 23 Oct 2018 23:17 --

Yiorgos wrote:
mtjbob wrote:
brownslane wrote:

3 in one oil maybe ??

Could it be (maybe) designed intentional to stay off the plinth to avoid marking the surface (rub marks).
George

When I first got it, it would stay down.