Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Thu Nov 15, 2018 5:13 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:52 am 

I have to ask just how one DAC could sound different/better than another? I can not imagine my music sounding better than it does now with the Sim Audio Moon 100d that I bought here.

What differences would I gain by getting a "better" DAC or different one if any? I am very curious.

Everytime I listen to my 2 channel system I'm absolutely blown away by how good it is already playing lossless FLAC music.

Equipment is as follows:

Laptop w/ FLAC music
Sim Audio Moon D100
Yaqin MC-100b integrated amplifier
Usher CP-6381 Speakers
Custom made 6 gauge cables

-- 22 Oct 2018 19:56 --

Attachments:
2 channel.jpg
2 channel.jpg [ 214.04 KiB | Viewed 1202 times ]
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:38 pm 

Upgrade your interconnect cables; I was absolutely amazed at the difference when I upgraded to better cables. Like removing blankets from the speakers. I recently swapped out my "hit and miss" collection of interconnects and went with full Amplifier Surgery cables....and the difference was startling....the biggest change ever in my systems. I now have full AS cabling in three of my systems. I have ordered a set of speaker cables from them to give that a try as well. All their cabling is high quality constructed OF copper with full silver coating....it really works!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:47 pm 
Premium User

I have the same DAC I was astounded the first time I heard it.

I agree with browslane,upgrade your interconnects and speaker cables,you will notice a difference.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:48 pm 

Great to hear you are happy with your system. I just bought a DH Labs usb cable (off CAM dealer) to replace the "printer cable" that I was using and the detail I gained from doing that was not that subtle at all. Very worthwhile purchase in my opinion.

https://www.canuckaudiomart.com/details ... dium=email

jp

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:19 pm 

Pure-Evil wrote:
I have to ask just how one DAC could sound different/better than another? I can not imagine my music sounding better than it does now with the Sim Audio Moon 100d that I bought here.

What differences would I gain by getting a "better" DAC or different one if any? I am very curious.

Everytime I listen to my 2 channel system I'm absolutely blown away by how good it is already playing lossless FLAC music.

Equipment is as follows:

Laptop w/ FLAC music
Sim Audio Moon D100
Usher CP-6381 Speakers

Your comment: "Everytime I listen to my 2 channel system I'm absolutely blown away by how good it is already playing lossless FLAC music"

Your are blown away? Stop it right there and enjoy your system!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 3:41 am 

milag wrote:
Pure-Evil wrote:

Equipment is as follows:

Laptop w/ FLAC music
Sim Audio Moon D100
Usher CP-6381 Speakers

Your comment: "Everytime I listen to my 2 channel system I'm absolutely blown away by how good it is already playing lossless FLAC music"

Your are blown away? Stop it right there and enjoy your system!

yes...you are probably right. I should stop and just enjoy.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 5:27 am 

One DAC can sound better than another for a couple reasons: The input side is better and/or the output side is better.

The input of the better DAC can be less susceptible to jitter issues.

The output of the DAC is analog, so the better DAC can have less distortion/noise.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 5:45 am 

Erik wrote:
One DAC can sound better than another for a couple reasons: The input side is better and/or the output side is better.

The output of the DAC is analog, so the better DAC can have less distortion/noise.

Or a tube output can have ear pleasing tube distortions that can be changed to your liking.....

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 6:45 am 

Hi,

Note to the OP: Welcome to the game of DAC (ing).

Just so you know what is ahead - here is the short list of the three best DACs I heard at the Toronto show. Other commentators reported many others not listed below so take this with some salt.

1) NAGRA DAC with power supply - $16,000 and Swiss made.
2) Merging Technologies NADAC - $8,000 (also Swiss made and supplied to European studios).
3) DAC made in Hong Kong and sold by Coup de Foudre (Montreal) for relative peanuts.

The Swiss make clocks and DACS are digital clocks.

Have fun!

Cheers,
David Neice

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 7:17 am 

Itsnotluck wrote:
Erik wrote:

Or a tube output can have ear pleasing tube distortions that can be changed to your liking.....

Indeed. You can roll tubes and colour the sound to your liking.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 7:23 am 
Dealer/Sponsor

You are just getting your toes wet with that DAC. There are many, many DAC's that are superior. And source is extremely important.

But I like Milag's advice, if you are blown away, sit back and enjoy.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 7:46 am 

buybye88 wrote:
Hi,

Note to the OP: Welcome to the game of DAC (ing).

Just so you know what is ahead - here is the short list of the three best DACs I heard at the Toronto show. Other commentators reported many others not listed below so take this with some salt.

1) NAGRA DAC with power supply - $16,000 and Swiss made.
2) Merging Technologies NADAC - $8,000 (also Swiss made and supplied to European studios).
3) DAC made in Hong Kong and sold by Coup de Foudre (Montreal) for relative peanuts.

The Swiss make clocks and DACS are digital clocks.

Have fun!

Cheers,
David Neice

Was Graham there? Did you listen more to the DAC or to Graham? :lol: :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 8:45 am 

brownslane wrote:
Upgrade your interconnect cables; I was absolutely amazed at the difference when I upgraded to better cables. Like removing blankets from the speakers. I recently swapped out my "hit and miss" collection of interconnects and went with full Amplifier Surgery cables....and the difference was startling....the biggest change ever in my systems. I now have full AS cabling in three of my systems. I have ordered a set of speaker cables from them to give that a try as well. All their cabling is high quality constructed OF copper with full silver coating....it really works!

SAVE your money! Sighted subjective tests of expensive cables are worth about as much as posts by someone who says vitamin C cured their cancer. My eyes and ears where opened when i did blind A/B comparisons with matched levels in my own listening room with my own equipment and music i know very well, plus listening to the Sheffield labs drum test record...great test material!

Read this first:

http://archimago.blogspot.com/2013/05/measurements-analogue-rca-interconnects.html

there are also tests of USB and coax/optical/ethernet/power cables there too...

after reading those articles think about all the 'game-changing' claims for expensive cabling and ask yourself how could such major and obvious changes in sound be accomplished? There cannot be an effect without a cause..

as Dr. Floyd Toole and other audio engineers have noted - the major determinate of sound quality is the recording, the speakers, and the room. Good quality pro cable is inexpensive and all you need...

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:04 am 

gnickers wrote:
brownslane wrote:

SAVE your money! Sighted subjective tests of expensive cables are worth about as much as posts by someone who says vitamin C cured their cancer. My eyes and ears where opened when i did blind A/B comparisons with matched levels in my own listening room with my own equipment and music i know very well, plus listening to the Sheffield labs drum test record...great test material!

Read this first:

http://archimago.blogspot.com/2013/05/measurements-analogue-rca-interconnects.html

after reading those articles think about all the 'game-changing' claims for expensive cabling and ask yourself how could such major and obvious changes in sound be accomplished? There cannot be an effect without a cause..

as Dr. Floyd Toole and other audio engineers have noted - the major determinate of sound quality is the recording, the speakers, and the room. Good quality pro cable is inexpensive and all you need...

Don't poke the cable guy(s). The are very sensitive...

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:06 am 

Bandy wrote:
gnickers wrote:
brownslane wrote:

Read this first:

Don't poke the cable guy(s). The are very sensitive...

Euh... so are the mods...