Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:21 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Criticism VS Complaining
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:03 am 

I can’t believe leading up to the show how many of the hobbiest let it be know that the previous shows in Toronto for the lack of a better word “ Sucked “ . So now a new show comes in and with most people is very well received yet some people are complaining about every little detail “the music was to loud , they didn’t play my favourite sone “ . Every vendor in every room I was in could not be more accommodating. Most we just amazed that I thanked them for being there. Come on ladies and gentlemen a little criticism is awesome but moaning and or complaining about some things is just not productive and I know the difference too my wife has explained it to me numerous times . LOL

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:25 am 
Premium User

Vendors can't win at shows, too hard to please everyone from music choices to volume levels. The worst part is some people come out of a show thinking they have a solid opinion on a product and feel the need to make ridiculous statements with that tiny bit of experience...bad news for some manufacturers. Kudos to all of the vendors that take on the expense to showcase gear and keep the retail end of the hobby alive. Even the worst show gives visitors a chance to see gear they might only dream of having.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:28 am 

There is a fine line between criticism and feedback. I believe that both the Exhibitors and show organizers want to hear constructive feedback, otherwise, how does the event get better.

There were many concerns about parking that could have been remedied if the show organisers posted on their website that they negotiated a special parking rate with the hotel.

I too thought that many of the exhibitor’s rooms were too loud. Some cited that they needed to compete with external noise. Personally, I liked the exhibitor rooms that has the door partially closed but with a sign on the outside door inviting you to enter. This was a by-product of feedback.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:50 am 

As my Dad said to me a long tome ago "Shut up, you're getting it for nothing". :)

I, for one, am incredibly grateful that this show happened. It WAS light-years ahead of last year's show.

So, for me, the show was a home run. Everybody seemed to have stepped up their game. It was a GREAT way to spend a day, with friends, learning something new about audio....I am really impressed.

In terms of letting the complaints bug you; don't let the complainers take up space in your head.

I am looking forward to next year. :D :D

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 3:17 am 

The show was a homerun, especially with the number of exhibitors. Even the Montréal shows seemed smaller by comparison.

But its the first year and they got most of it right.

Only real criticism would be the laminate floors. More then a few exhibitors were caught out by the floors, because they all expected carpeted rooms.

Most rooms had plenty of echo, and that could be why there were complaints of "too loud".

Good times though! And next year will be better then this years awesome.

Tom...

Sonic Frontiers SLF-1, Simaudio I-5, Vecteur i4, Rotel RB-981
Simaudio 280d, Simaudio 300d, Atoll ST100, Audiolab M-Dac

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 3:57 am 

As my Dad said to me a long tome ago "Shut up, you're getting it for nothing"..... awesome line.....gotta start using that.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 5:18 am 
Premium User

I think the way to go is to balance constructive feedback with praise. Those who only point out the negatives come across as whiners and rightfully so. Sorry, but true.

Was the music too loud at times? Yes
Could the parking situation been clarified better? Yes
Did some of the rooms sound “sub-optimal”? Yes
Could there have been more software vendors? Yes

Was the free admission appreciated? Yes
Did this free admission offset the cost of parking? Yes
Were there ample opportunities to listen to live music, not just gear? Yes
Was there an opportunity to pick the brains of designers in an intimate setting? Yes
Did some of the rooms sound spectacular? Yes
Were the rooms generally spaced out to avoid noise interference? Yes
Were the exhibitors knowledgeable, approachable and enthusiastic? Yes
Was the multitude of interesting Quebec vendors appreciated? Yes
Could I have spent another day at the show? Yes

There is always room for improvement and any organizers that are serious about their show will take feedback on, both good and bad. But on balance, the INAUGURAL (remember, first time in Toronto) event was clearly a success. Frankly, anybody who thinks otherwise will likely never be happy with shows, which admittedly have there sound challenges. To me the show is just a teaser to investigate interesting equipment further. For example, most (all?) of the Transrotor display was static but that won’t stop me from looking into the line further.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 6:42 am 

Hi,

Note to Tangram re above post.

The nail has now been hit exactly on it's head!

Cheers,
David Neice

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 7:47 am 

I’ve never attended an audio show before, but I was happy with it for sure. I’ve been to plenty of other trade shows in my career and think the organizers got it right.

As for people complaining about parking, IIRC people the last few years were complaining about getting downtown and trust me, parking is just as expensive and not as easy....$15 is a reasonable price to pay for a free show.

Just my $0.02

A

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 7:49 am 

James_W wrote:
Vendors can't win at shows, too hard to please everyone from music choices to volume levels. The worst part is some people come out of a show thinking they have a solid opinion on a product and feel the need to make ridiculous statements with that tiny bit of experience...bad news for some manufacturers. Kudos to all of the vendors that take on the expense to showcase gear and keep the retail end of the hobby alive. Even the worst show gives visitors a chance to see gear they might only dream of having.

+1

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 7:52 am 

Wasn't it mostly middle-aged or older people there? Complaining is what they're good at :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:24 am 

Nailzz20 wrote:
I can’t believe leading up to the show how many of the hobbiest let it be know that the previous shows in Toronto for the lack of a better word “ Sucked “ . So now a new show comes in and with most people is very well received yet some people are complaining about every little detail “the music was to loud , they didn’t play my favourite sone “ . Every vendor in every room I was in could not be more accommodating. Most we just amazed that I thanked them for being there. Come on ladies and gentlemen a little criticism is awesome but moaning and or complaining about some things is just not productive and I know the difference too my wife has explained it to me numerous times . LOL

Thanks for the public service announcement.
It’s difficult to tell if you are complaining or being critical.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 2:19 pm 

scarbpaul12 wrote:
Nailzz20 wrote:

Definitely not complaining , I loved the show and in my excitement of having a show of this caliber so close ( still a couple of hours ) I guess I didn’t notice some of the short falls . So I might go with critical . I am not sure if this qualifies as a public service announcement seeing as you had to make an effort to stop in here to read it and make a backhanded negative coment .

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 2:44 pm 

...criticism vs complaining? ...essentially semantics...one could argue "criticism" is more technical...as it - for the most part - exists and has currency within the lexicon and space of critical discourse academically and continuous quality improvement in the business/service delivery/manufacturing worlds...in the formal sense complaints are usually the natural mechanism available to one who experiences a problem or needs to express displeasure/dissatisfaction with respect to the behaviour of a person or system...I wasn't at the show...but...I heard it didn't suck as bad as the past few TAVES...IMHO...not a damn thing wrong with expressing dissatisfaction...especially if you're "solution focused"... :D

Last edited by Stone on Tue Oct 23, 2018 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 2:48 pm 

Nailzz20 wrote:
scarbpaul12 wrote:
Nailzz20 wrote:

Definitely not complaining , I loved the show and in my excitement of having a show of this caliber so close ( still a couple of hours ) I guess I didn’t notice some of the short falls . So I might go with critical . I am not sure if this qualifies as a public service announcement seeing as you had to make an effort to stop in here to read it and make a backhanded negative coment .

Are you complaining about my critical comment?