Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Thu Nov 15, 2018 5:03 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 7:03 pm 

It took some time and effort to put together, but I am very happy with the result. Built around mainly used equipment acquired thru trade or sale of ones that I no longer needed. Over a period of 4-5 years as the pieces came available, the sound improved incrementally with each addition. Certain brands were on my want list and luckily, I managed to get them. YBA amps and pre. because of design and materials used. Accustic Arts CD and dac. Speakers are of course a key component, but don’t have 10k for anything decent. I had the Greshman rx20; didn’t do it for me. So I put my AR10pi that I had from the late 70s, back to work. With its 12in woofers, I know that the bass would be there. But the mid and hi might not be what I wanted. So I tried something different;I added an ELAC 310 bookshelf to the top of the ARs. That is my 10k speaker. The Jet tweeters and the mid/woofers of the Elac compliment the ARs very well and together with the rest of the system make up my full range setup. Great 3D soundstage and pinpoint imagining.

CD drive and dac: Accustic Arts
Preamp: YBA 2 Delta
Amps: YBA 3 monoblocs
Cables : Cardas golden reference and Clear digital. Pwr cables: Gutwire
Speakers: AR10pi and Elac310
Turntable: Linn lp12 with Denon 103l.

For me it is about the quality of the products and the materials used ; that goes for both Accustic Arts and YBA. I can finally say that I have the full range system that I am happy about.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 3:42 am 

So with the ELAC 310 on top of the ARs how are you running a proper crossover network or are you just using
the crossovers in the speakers this would be interesting as the speakers will have very different xovers .

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:48 am 

Good question. The crossover of the AR10 is set at 525 and 5000.The Elac is at 3200. I am not a technical person when it comes to this subject, but my take on it is that this pertains to the handling frequency of each driver within each speaker. As I stated, I wanted better hi and mid and the Elac definitely does that for me. I do not experience any kind of unusual behaviour in sound affecting each speaker. In fact, I am pleasantly surprised at how well this works in my setup. Maybe someone with knowledge can explain why this should or shouldn’t be done; that is the reason for my post.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:40 am 

How do you have the speakers wired from the amps.
Bi-wired with a single cable from each amp and single binding posts on each speaker??

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:43 am 

I should have given more details. The amps are monoblocs,each has two sets of binding posts. So one cable to the AR and a separate run from the other binding post to the Elac. The cables are Van den Hul Inspriration. Another diy mod I did was upgrade the binding post of the ARs. Also upgraded the input rcas of the amps to WBT top line;very please with the outcome.