Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:49 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 6:18 pm 

Looking at parts connexion clear out of of the monitor audio silver series 6 floor standing loudspeakers.Just wondering if they are worth the $ 1000 price tag and those who
own them your opinions .Thx

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 6:38 pm 
Premium User

Not the 6's but I got a pair of Silver 8's as partial trade for ATC SCM40's I was selling. Kept them around for some time but they never grabbed me, just not a very engaging speaker to my ears. Tried everything from YBA SS to Rogue audio tube pairings. Maybe the 6's have some magic but the 8's weren't worth it to me, even if they represent a great value on paper. If you are looking for a clear and detailed presentation you might like them.

Maybe other Cammers have had positive experiences to share.

$1100 well spent

https://www.canuckaudiomart.com/details ... -speakers/

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:06 am 

I can echo the above. I also had a pair of 8s and while good, they were anything special in particular. That said they didn't really do anything wrong either. I also heard the 6s and by comparison they had less low end thump (which is to be expected). Overall the sound presentation was nice, pretty accurate, with relatively wide sound stage and good instrument separation (used them with musical fidelity M3si).

As a starter speaker i'd say go for it. Just keep in mind that they do not hold their value and on your resale expect to loose a bunch of coin. If you don't plan on selling for a while you are good.

Also to consider is the fact that at that price point you won't really find much better, so all of my comments should be considered with that in mind.

I know a bit conflicting but I guess it can be summarized as: If you can afford better then buy better (someone is now selling a pair of Tannoy Precision 6.2LE here on CAM, which are infinitely better by comparison), if not, then for the price these are very good indeed. :D

Hope this helps.
Best,
M,

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 3:18 am 

gwestwoodnurse wrote:
Looking at parts connexion clear out of of the monitor audio silver series 6 floor standing loudspeakers.Just wondering if they are worth the $ 1000 price tag and those who
own them your opinions .Thx

ive heard them, nothing special IMO you can get a much better speaker on CAM in that price range or less...some i have heard that are for sale on CAM that are good speakers...

mirage m1
PSB Imagine T
Mirage OM9
Ohm Walsh 2
PSB Stratus gold
PSB stratus silver

these are ones i am familiar with, there are lots of other speakers for sale others will be able to recommend

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:33 am 

As usual it's all personal preference...I have not heard the 6s, but own the 8s and have really enjoyed them. I listen to a wide variety of music and find they do well with all the genres I listen to. As a comparison, I previously owned both the PSB Stratus Silvers and Golds, and prefer the MA Silver 8s - which is different than a previous responder, just showing we all have different tastes.

The upside to the 6s you're looking at is that they are new - not often you'll get a speaker of this quality new for that price. If you do decide to sell, the hit will be minimized given the price you're purchasing at. btw, they also have high WAF, not sure if that is something that comes into play for you.

Robert

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:58 am 

I own a pair of Silver RS-8's and I guess I got lucky buying them from a senior for $325.00. I have played them with a Pioneer XVS 9700S and a Yamaha RXV-850 receiver and found the bass response will rumble my walls. I like them as much as my Energy Audyssey 2+2 and Energy Pro-22's.
I guess it is all in the ears of the beholder.
All the best
OBTW they list for $2600 and sell for around $1500.