Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:28 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 5:42 am 
Premium User

Well I was at Toronto Audio Fest and had great time. Spent some time to talking to the guys at Solen who had a pair of Special 40's on hand and I mentioned that I also owned a pair. He mentioned to me that the crossover was done with very cheap parts and recommended I replace it... After some research I am less than impressed with what Dynaudio has done here. If you have any thoughts or recommendations please comment below!

-- 21 Oct 2018 13:43 --

And here is the Contour 20 crossover and you can see it is much more complicated and uses way better parts.
Man for 5k you think Dynaudio would have stretched a bit more for an extra $3... Especially since this is an anniversary speaker!

Attachments:
contour20xover.jpg
contour20xover.jpg [ 34.43 KiB | Viewed 1042 times ]
special40xover.jpg
special40xover.jpg [ 48.73 KiB | Viewed 1044 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 6:11 am 

kawihornet wrote:
Well I was at Toronto Audio Fest and had great time. Spent some time to talking to the guys at Solen who had a pair of Special 40's on hand and I mentioned that I also owned a pair. He mentioned to me that the crossover was done with very cheap parts and recommended I replace it... After some research I am less than impressed with what Dynaudio has done here. If you have any thoughts or recommendations please comment below!

And here is the Contour 20 crossover and you can see it is much more complicated and uses way better parts.
Man for 5k you think Dynaudio would have stretched a bit more for an extra $3... Especially since this is an anniversary speaker!

Re "complicated": The Contour 20's crossover is 2nd order, while the Special Forty's is 1st order. So yes.

Re "way better parts": I can't tell from the posted pics. In what way?

So how do the two sound - comparatively? This might be a good test case regarding whether a 1st order is better than a 2nd order crossover (in some folks' eyes) given all of the other similarities between these two speakers, and the fact that they are designed and built by the same company.

I've listened to a number of Dynaudio speakers over the years (Contour and Confidence lines) and loved how all of them sounded.

Jeff

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:38 am 
Premium User

JeffMackwood wrote:
kawihornet wrote:

Re "complicated": The Contour 20's crossover is 2nd order, while the Special Forty's is 1st order. So yes.

Re "way better parts": I can't tell from the posted pics. In what way?

So how do the two sound - comparatively? This might be a good test case regarding whether a 1st order is better than a 2nd order crossover (in some folks' eyes) given all of the other similarities between these two speakers, and the fact that they are designed and built by the same company.

I've listened to a number of Dynaudio speakers over the years (Contour and Confidence lines) and loved how all of them sounded.

Jeff

Cheap chinese caps on the forty and mundorf caps on the contour...

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:14 am 

After reading this post, I will never even think of purchasing any of their products. Would be nice to hear any other products that are doing the same.

-- 21 Oct 2018 13:14 --

After reading this post, I will never even think of purchasing any of their products. Would be nice to hear any other products that are doing the same.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:20 am 
Premium User

This shouldn't be surprising to most people. Crossover components are hidden away in a box so many big manufacturers cheap out in this area.

If consumers were less caught up with fancy boxes and brand recognition they might want to know what's inside, from caps to magnets. With that said, Special 40's are very nice sounding bookshelf speakers.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:23 am 

Don't let some show people get in your head.
Some of the techtalk/gadgets they were peddling........

Anyways, my iPhoneX is made in China and I'm keeping it.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:25 am 
Premium User

Thinking about making new crossovers and seeing what kind of a sound difference I get.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:31 am 

kawihornet wrote:
Thinking about making new crossovers and seeing what kind of a sound difference I get.

Why not just recap the current ones with your preferred caps?.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:40 am 
Dealer/Sponsor

This post is ridiculous.

No mention of how the woofer is the strongest for that size they have ever made, or how the tweeter has a pile of the tech found in their 6 figure units?
Look at the finish on the 40's too, any idea what that is worth?
Every speaker has comprimises to hit a price point.
And the Contours are substantially more money.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 10:03 am 

Forbes_2 wrote:
This post is ridiculous.

No mention of how the woofer is the strongest for that size they have ever made, or how the tweeter has a pile of the tech found in their 6 figure units?

+1

Part of the job is building with the quality to do the job right. Knowing what quality is required is another part of the job. Don't get hung up on the crossover parts themselves; but be hung up on how it sounds.

I think it would be a great idea to replace those cheapie components with Mundorfs and let us know if there really is a major improvement. My guess is that the difference will be small.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 10:41 am 

I am surprised that someone would actually said that about current product....anyway to start to mix and match other capacitors/brands is like playing with politics these days....I would rather skip that and maybe if there is a way to use separate active crossover to "tailor the sound to your liking....without using the internal one. That may show you some possibilities...

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 11:39 am 
Premium User

Forbes_2 wrote:
This post is ridiculous.

This post is ridiculous cause i'm annoyed that they chose cheap Chinese Caps over decent caps to save $3 a speaker?
I would have paid the extra $6 in price to know that my 5k speakers had even just decent caps... I guess its my fault for assuming at 5k they wouldn't have cheaped out on cross over components.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 11:42 am 

I agree with you, but now you have nailed the whole high end these days....sorry that is the live we live in....

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 11:49 am 

Welcome to mediocre.

G

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 12:15 pm 
Dealer/Sponsor

Its ridiculous because your claims are ridiculous. How did you get to this $3 a speaker savings? How do you know other caps would sound better ? Do you have a Jupiter measurement room in your house? Did you even swap the caps and listen yet? Have you manufactured some of the most popular speakers in the world consistently?

If you would have made a DIY post that said "I swapped the caps and I love the difference! Here is what I used! You should try it!" That would be cool.

But you made it to try and bash a brand where you have no idea on the R&D process. And from what I can tell, you haven't even tried a pair of the factory ones beside a pair with different caps.

How do you know it will even sound better?
kawihornet wrote:
Forbes_2 wrote:
This post is ridiculous.

This post is ridiculous cause i'm annoyed that they chose cheap Chinese Caps over decent caps to save $3 a speaker?
I would have paid the extra $6 in price to know that my 5k speakers had even just decent caps... I guess its my fault for assuming at 5k they wouldn't have cheaped out on cross over components.