Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Tue Nov 20, 2018 3:27 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:01 pm 

Guys I literally get everything online. My audio interface, a few condenser mics but now that it's time to buy a woofer (Home theatre setup). I'm kind of nervous getting it (Even from Amazon). The biggest thing I got was a midi controller for my little music studio. It was smaller than a laptop in width so it wasn't an issue. Now that I'm getting a Yamaha NS-SW100BL 10", I"m nervous. I just don't want to go through the hassle of returning it or exchanging it, dealing with the invoices / receipts and wasting all that time. Do you guys ever buy large audio or music equipment online? Or do the good'ol read the reviews online and than go to a local best buy to pick it up? I really despise Best Buy (Their salespeople and employees annoy me) so I don't want to do that again.

Last edited by Polkasound on Tue Oct 23, 2018 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:43 pm 

As long as the item is shipped in its original packaging, I do not see any increase in risk of damage to the item due to shipping. I have purchased components from around the world and never had any problem with them arriving damaged, as all of them were shipped in their original packaging, and some even were double boxed. My floor standing speaker were shipped to me from Chicago, my amp and pre amp from England, and my dac from Korea. All arrived safely at my house in Ottawa. Now if you are going to return an item because you do not like it, that is different, and if that is what you are concerned about, then buying local would seem to make more sense.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:53 pm 

As I live in a "remote" location, I have to order just about everything in. There are also a couple extra steps in the freight handling chain to get stuff here. I have been rebuilding and improving my stereo the past few years, so there have been quite a few purchases. More than half of the items travelled from Ontario and Quebec.
So far the only damage to a valuable item has been a new speaker in a factory box that got gouged by something. The seller treated me so well that I was able to purchase a small subwoofer with the refund.
Some high end shops and private sellers might double box your item if you request them to do so, especially if you offer to pay for the extra work. Some of them might even double box voluntarily. However most stores will not bother to do so, because damage rates are low, and the extra packaging costs time and money.
An occasional catastrophe gets reported, but consider how many items get shipped every day without a problem. On the other hand, if I lived in Vancouver I would try to support the local shops. I have had good experiences with Pat's Audio Art, Innovative Audio, Ayreborne Audio, and in other locations: London Drugs.
.....my 2 cents worth.....

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 4:32 am 

I've bought most of my gear from dealers who sell gear not available in Ottawa. Within Canada and from a reputable dealer is ideal but I have also bought speakers shipped all the way from Bulgaria with no problem. Usually a seller will have the sense to package properly when selling a relatively expensive item over a long distance. Turntables can be a pain and probably the most difficult to package but it can be done. I don't do tape but any tape deck would be another worry. A subwoofer in its original packaging will be safe.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 5:13 am 

If it's heavy enough get it shipped by pallet. Then pretty much zero chance of it arriving damaged.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 5:26 am 

always buy online, easiest way, have it all shipped to a USA address as FedEx and UPS are major bandits with Brokerage fees. Always use PayPal for everywhere except Canada.... Canada is EMT or Cash.... I have never had a product arrive damaged yet, purchases from CAM, USAudiomart, Audiogon, HighEndPalace, Kahl. some manufactures. No issues yet.... Had some strangely boxed packages but on the whole, sellers are just as worried as you that the product will arrive damaged..

As for returns, that is a problem as normally you have to pay return....so that is automatically a loss on your part unless it is a very reputable dealer, just make sure it is what you want, if not, than you get to be the seller online...!!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 6:00 am 

I am a sufferer of Parkinson's so I pretty much have to have everything delivered even local purchases. When I shop at local shops sometimes dealers won't entertain delivery for whatever their reason of the day is. Usually that means can't be bothered. All big purchases I make have been delivered because I can't carry them and to date I have never had any shipping damage or issues except 1 which is actually a positive and that is most shippers do such a good job that in my case dealing with the packaging is a pain (literally and figuratively. Returns can be an issue but then I just enlist the help of friend to help me out. Amazon has been a big boon to me. Its not that I don't want to shop local it just that I can't.

Items shipped with out issue to date include my Tannoy's,Turntable, AMP etc. as well as other items from all over the worldAll purchases are based on reviews as even standing for long periods in a store are an experience with pain in my case. I will also say that all persons I have bought from locally have been fantastic, some even delivering to me.

I am pretty much convinced that CAM is the best place to be buying from as well.

Regards

Mike

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 6:39 am 

Polkasound wrote:
Guys I literally get everything online. My audio interface, a few condenser mics but now that it's time to buy a woofer (Home theatre setup). I'm kind of nervous getting it (Even from Amazon). The biggest thing I got was a midi controller for my little music studio. It was smaller than a laptop in width so it wasn't an issue. Now that I'm getting a Yamaha NS-SW100BL 10", I"m nervous. I just don't want to go through the hassle of returning it or exchanging it and wasting all that time. Do you guys ever buy large audio or music equipment online? Or do the good'ol read the reviews online and than go to a local best buy to pick it up? I really despise Best Buy (Salespeople annoy me) so I don't want to do that again.

I haven't bought any large electronics, but as long as you dealing with Amazon.CA (They do show your item) all should go well.
They are very well Organized, if there's a problem they'll arrange pickup.
Ott.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 6:57 am 

WOW!! All salespeople annoy you!! I think you should get out more. I sold photography gear for 30 years and must say the interaction with most customers was the best part of the job. I buy online but still deal with salespeople as I believe the service and knowledge they provide is very helpful. Of course not all salespeople are equal.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 7:19 am 

canisbay wrote:
WOW!! All salespeople annoy you!! I think you should get out more. I sold photography gear for 30 years and must say the interaction with most customers was the best part of the job. I buy online but still deal with salespeople as I believe the service and knowledge they provide is very helpful. Of course not all salespeople are equal.

I think maybe he was referring to the BB salespeople specifically....I have had a few challenging conversations with their folks, who seem to have considerably more training in sales, than product features....

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:24 am 

First of all, Best Buy is rarely a place to buy quality gear....with that said, shippers understand what they are doing. Make sure any used gear is shipped with adequate insurance and that the shipper understands they will be held responsible. I have shipped and received gear from all over North America....not yet had one package lost or damage (but it happens). Speakers are always at risk because boxes get dropped. The packaging may not show any signs of damage but the voice coil could be destroyed. Again, reputable sellers are key.

My suggestion, if you're worried, is to buy local for things like turntables and speakers. Pick em up yourself....if you are on an island, you will (obviously) have to make a "trip" out of it, but embrace the challenge....go to Van for the day/evening with your wife, do some shopping, take in a movie and dinner, stay in a hotel, then head home. Your wife gets a weekend out of it, you will get your subwoofer. Of course, if you are hiding the purchase, this plan may not be the best plan!! :shock:

Best, Tom

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 10:43 am 

in China they buy cars online...and from vending machines.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:40 am 

Libor - that whole "Carvana" service in the US is the same idea - buy a car online and they will deliver it.

I have bought and sold a lot of gear online, even though living near Toronto there can be decent units close to home at times.

Feedback from sellers matters. As does payment mode used.

Or simplify it (mostly) and buy from a dealer (even remotely).

Mark in Burlington

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:55 am 

canucklehead98 wrote:
If it's heavy enough get it shipped by pallet. Then pretty much zero chance of it arriving damaged.
i worked for a trucking company for over twenty five years as a dock employee i seen it all one example i have seen skids loaded on top of harleys that come in metal frames with outer cardboard covering from the factory just wow

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:06 am 

rednecknber wrote:
canucklehead98 wrote:
i worked for a trucking company for over twenty five years as a dock employee i seen it all one example i have seen skids loaded on top of harleys that come in metal frames with outer cardboard covering from the factory just wow

...yep...nothing is beyond being damaged...especially on a dock full of pissed off or f%ked-up swamp'rs... :D