Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:37 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:27 am 
Premium User

I would probably list way more auctions if this fee was much lower, because many of my items like records are worth under $100 ,many around $20-$50, so paying about $9 total on fees is simply prohibitive for the majority of my items that I could easily sell here. I spoke to one of the reps about it, and he gave me his explanation, of how they have to charge this much to pay for certain things on the site, but I still think the auction part of the site would be far more successful if the fees werent so high. I think its an additional $3 for a 7 day auction. So I would really love to see this changed especially the $7 reserve fee . Maybe nobody really cares about running auctions at all for some reason,just like how most ebay sellers are now listing their items with fixed prices now. Anyhow hopefully there are still some dealers who still love running auctions,to see how much they can get for their items, instead of just taking guesses at it.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:39 am 

If you don't want to pay the reserve fee, why not just open the auction bidding at your reserve price?

Sorry, Mister Vice President, 'The Handmaid's Tale' is not a documentary.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:02 am 
Premium User

because here you to have a minimum bid you have to pay for a reserve, or else bidding starts at $0

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:07 am 

If you want to place a reserve of $20 on an item, are you telling me that you can't just start the bidding at $20?

Sorry, Mister Vice President, 'The Handmaid's Tale' is not a documentary.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:35 am 
Premium User

that's what Im saying, and its sad that nobody else has bothered responding. I think auctions are a truly awesome thing, and its sad that they are just falling by the wayside, perhaps in part because of super high fees here, at least when it comes to selling low to moderately priced items. For items of say $1000 or more who cares about a $7 reserve,but how many people are putting those on auction every day?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:55 pm 
Site Admin

Hi SteveStereos,

Auction listing fees are structured to encourage short, no reserve auctions that start at low bids, but we allow the option to add reserve fees and post longer auctions by paying for them as incremental upgrades.

We designed those fees with ~$500+ dollar hardware items in mind and generally we don't think we will be changing our fee structure for hardware auction listings for the time being. You can also consider the fees as they stand will encourage the auctions to skew towards higher value items, which we believe better reflects the types of hardware we feel is best suited for auctions.

However, your mention of software does make me reflect that we should reconsider the fee structure for software auctions, perhaps tieing the listing fee to the Reserve price which is much lower than what most hardware would be.

PS. I have removed all the off topic posts from this thread. Please only post responses regarding the OP's auction listing fees inquiry in this forum thread. If you wish to debate the merits or lack of merits of auctions please do so in another thread.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 4:48 am 
Premium User

Thanks so much for considering reevaluating the fees for software auctions, that would be great . Thank you also for deleting all those posts where people were attacking my position on auctions trying to bait me into some kind of battle over that,and trying to get others on their side ,as though they were attempting to get the auctions removed from this site completely !