Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:07 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 5:14 am 

Looks like Best Buy is doing their annual sale on these super Polk Audio RTIa 9's once again. They're on for $400 each and that's a steal of a deal !!

https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/polk-audio-polk-rtia9-500-watt-tower-speaker-cherry-single-rtia9/10090955.aspx?CMP=eml-bby-181017-sal-2d-m-xx-e1-rcpt-zr&EMI=UEpTQ0gxQEdNQUlMLkNPTQ==&j=102239&l=52_HTML&e=UEpTQ0gxQEdNQUlMLkNPTQ==&u=3551466&mid=7210119&jb=2360

Sale ends tomorrow!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:46 am 

The markup on those speakers is very high, many speakers I would consider before the Polks like the Chane A5 towers, Airmotiv T1 or T2 a tad bit more but I have owned the Polks and they don't have the SQ the Chanes do, cheaply made drivers in the RTia IMO. My buddy actually just picked up some PSB towers for $800 and better quality and build and a Canadian company.

Just my .02 of course haha but I've been there done that and moved on to better sounding speakers, overpriced stuff at crazy sale prices is marketing 101.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 5:55 am 

I see such a huge ammount of Polk speakers for sale....mainly on kijiji so i have to ask....are they really THAT bad? It seems like every other ad is a polk speaker. I know a few of the vintage Polk speakers are highly regarded but i see so many of the newer models for sale....what happened?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 6:45 am 

BKSRT8 wrote:
I see such a huge ammount of Polk speakers for sale....mainly on kijiji so i have to ask....are they really THAT bad? It seems like every other ad is a polk speaker. I know a few of the vintage Polk speakers are highly regarded but i see so many of the newer models for sale....what happened?

Not sure I would say their "THAT BAD", more that I would say that entry level spreakers have improved greatly in the last few years & these Polks have not, so when the line first came out they were probably in the same ball park quality wise & price vs competetors, but things have moved on. For the specific speakers in question, unless you need/want a lot of drivers, at their full retail price much better sound quality can be had for the same amount. My opinion would be that the sale price of $800 a pair is probably more what their actually worth with todays competition.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:29 am 

petersch wrote:

Hmmm, now we just have to wait for the gear flippers to list them on CAM: $800/ea firm and low ballers will be ignored! :D

Collecting vintage tube Pilot (Pilotone) HiFi gear.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:54 pm 

daren_p wrote:
Not sure I would say their "THAT BAD", more that I would say that entry level spreakers have improved greatly in the last few years & these Polks have not, so when the line first came out they were probably in the same ball park quality wise & price vs competetors, but things have moved on. For the specific speakers in question, unless you need/want a lot of drivers, at their full retail price much better sound quality can be had for the same amount. My opinion would be that the sale price of $800 a pair is probably more what their actually worth with todays competition.

Id rather have 2 quality drivers over many crap ones....maybe im getting old. I mean they look great but its concerning that they ALWAYS seem to be on sale or for sale. It always makes me laugh seeing these epic looking towers with a million drivers in them get blown out of the water by a well designed 2 way....i guess theres a market tho or there wouldnt be so many around.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 3:51 pm 

BKSRT8 wrote:
daren_p wrote:

Id rather have 2 quality drivers over many crap ones....maybe im getting old. I mean they look great but its concerning that they ALWAYS seem to be on sale or for sale. It always makes me laugh seeing these epic looking towers with a million drivers in them get blown out of the water by a well designed 2 way....i guess theres a market tho or there wouldnt be so many around.

The majority of people shopping at best buy don't really have an understanding of audio in general, hey when I was young that was me lol, I saw big speakers and crazy power ratings and I was pulled in and I thought I had the be all end all of audio gear, I had no idea of most of these other unheard of companies(less marketed) until I had a fellow co-worker introduce me to CAM. I've heard good things about the LSIM polk's but I still can't take a company seriously that uses 70% off marketing tactics in boxstores to improve sales. I would rather spend my hard earned money on brands where the owners and workers are passionate about what they make, aka John over at Chane Cinema and Music.

Once again just my .02 haha

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 7:05 pm 

"I saw big speakers and crazy power ratings and I was pulled in and I thought I had the be all end all of audio gear"

Ahhh how I miss the International Stereo flyers in the Sunday Sun.......... all the $20,000 systems consisting of gigantic Nuance speakers and a 30 watt per channel "high current" Harman Kardon Dolby Pro Logic receiver. Hordes of young guys in the local Alberta oil industry got lured into that money pit.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 7:52 pm 
Premium User

BKSRT8 wrote:
Id rather have 2 quality drivers over many crap ones....

+1 in almost every case

The budget friendly side of the industry is pretty crowded right now. There is stiff competition from Elac to XTZ. The RTi A9 still represents a great value to the bigger means it's better crowd and they sound decent.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 6:42 am 

Polk speakers, mattresses, and suitcases...…………….ALWAYS "on sale."

No thanks.

del Sol

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 8:15 am 
Dealer/Sponsor

jayparadigm wrote:
"I saw big speakers and crazy power ratings and I was pulled in and I thought I had the be all end all of audio gear"

Ahhh how I miss the International Stereo flyers in the Sunday Sun.......... all the $20,000 systems consisting of gigantic Nuance speakers and a 30 watt per channel "high current" Harman Kardon Dolby Pro Logic receiver. Hordes of young guys in the local Alberta oil industry got lured into that money pit.

I worked for Majestic for a very short time. i was encouraged strongly to sell the Maxell fake cassette tape copies, as much as humanly possible. Didn't take me long to leave that place.

But, most people shop via the shiny crow aspects and the 'appearance' of a 'deal'. After all, they've got nothing else to go on.

People never came back over the tapes being fakes. Even though I knew they were fakes just by looking at them. Never mind handling them. Never mind the degraded sound quality and lifespan.

In general, people are simply not wired finely enough for such discrimination. And some... take advantage of that....

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 11:53 am 

James_W wrote:
BKSRT8 wrote:

+1 in almost every case

The budget friendly side of the industry is pretty crowded right now. There is stiff competition from Elac to XTZ. The RTi A9 still represents a great value to the bigger means it's better crowd and they sound decent.

Id imagine they would be great for HT where the level of detail isnt AS important. I feel like theyre going to be muddy as hell with a scorching top end but obviously you cant judge just by seeing them. I remember thinking Paradigm Titans werent going to sound great when i first saw them...wrong

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 5:36 pm 

BKSRT8 wrote:
James_W wrote:
BKSRT8 wrote:

+1 in almost every case

Id imagine they would be great for HT where the level of detail isnt AS important. I feel like theyre going to be muddy as hell with a scorching top end but obviously you cant judge just by seeing them. I remember thinking Paradigm Titans werent going to sound great when i first saw them...wrong

Personally, I can't imagine having a multichannel HT set-up where I listen to both movies (and sports, and concerts, and TV, and...) and music (stereo and multichannel) and have gear that is capable of faithfully reproducing one variant, but not all the rest. Faithfull reproduction of sound is simply that - completely independent of what that sound is. I just don't accept the good enough for one but not the other premise.

Jeff

ps. I use Paradigm Titans in the rear surround positions in my main HT because of space restrictions. (If I could fit large floorstanders like in all of the other positions I would.) They are a capable bookshelf speaker and were a good value in their price range when I bought my pair new a long time ago.