Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Mon Nov 19, 2018 1:51 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 4:33 pm 

Hi everyone I am currently in the process of buying a mint oracle Delphi MKII with a SME V tonearm
And mounting a Dynavector XX2 MkII cartridge on it. Any suggestions of what a guy should do from uprades from oracle? I was thinking of upgrading the motor first. But what would have the biggest improvements to make?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 4:51 pm 

If it were me I would contact Oracle and ask for their advice.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 4:58 pm 

Well that table is known for needing the following, drive board, motor, issues with hanging springs and in most cases the 27V DC wall wart adapter needs to be replaced. if all works, clean the main bearing by removing the oil with a cue tip and alchohol then use 3IN1 machine oil to fill it. I fill the main bearing just enough so that when I place the platter and thrust pad back on the bearing, just a bit of oil gets displaced once the platter drops into position.

Your Oracle looks brand new, low use or very well cared for or both. The SME V with the Dynavector must sound great enjoy the table.

Last edited by Musicware4u on Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 5:40 pm 

Can a TT that is about 35 years old be mint?

Get it home and spend some time listening to it. Do you have something to compare it to?

It appears Oracle still supplies a maintenance kit for it's early models that comes with oil, belt, cleaner, sorbothane damper springs if needed:

https://docs.wixstatic.com/ugd/a191a2_2 ... 75f638.pdf

last page (p13).

You can also upgrade the entire motor and electronics etc to current standards but when I looked at that many years ago I thought why not just spend that money on a new current Oracle.. which I didn't do. After market motors etc like the Origin Live work well and I had one for a few years before I sold both the TT and the new motor.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:02 pm 

Hi
I see a few answers are discouraging to say the least. If the motor works and keeps speed ,why change it? Also the 27V power supply. The maintenance kit should be a good buy ,if you need it. It comes with a bottle of oil already. I have the same table in mine the Oracle logo next to the speed switches don't light up,must need a new bulb. And yes to the guy who wonders if a table can be mint ,yes it can if the previous owner was careful and took care of it.
George

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:36 pm 

Well the original owner kept in in the box for the past 14 years. And it’s actually a late model with Mk3 springs and towers. And the Moter has little hours on it and throttle isn’t maxed either.

Attachments:
0355560E-9BBF-4127-BDFD-A4B54024F8BD.jpeg
0355560E-9BBF-4127-BDFD-A4B54024F8BD.jpeg [ 348.85 KiB | Viewed 460 times ]
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:28 am 

jakecanada wrote:
Well the original owner kept in in the box for the past 14 years. And it’s actually a late model with Mk3 springs and towers. And the Moter has little hours on it and throttle isn’t maxed either.

Jake

It looks real nice, enjoy your turntable.

Brian

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:58 am 

...I ran a modified Mk1 for a few years...it came with a Unitrac (pivot) tone arm (Magnepan)...if you can source out such a beast...do so...pure bliss... :D

https://www.vinylengine.com/library/mag ... ac-1.shtml

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:29 am 

Use it for while to make sure it all works incase there are issues or something amiss. Then contact oracle for assistance. Check other sites for usefull information about it. Clubs..groups on line etc.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:37 am 

Yiorgos wrote:
Hi
I see a few answers are discouraging to say the least. If the motor works and keeps speed ,why change it? Also the 27V power supply. The maintenance kit should be a good buy ,if you need it. It comes with a bottle of oil already. I have the same table in mine the Oracle logo next to the speed switches don't light up,must need a new bulb. And yes to the guy who wonders if a table can be mint ,yes it can if the previous owner was careful and took care of it.
George

I just never came across an Oracle Delphi I or II that didn't need the 27V wall wart and a motor replacement. It's a good turntable and if yours is working 100%, great. I learned that because the demands of the DC voltage source from the motor are high enough that both end up needing replacement. Did any previous owners of the table replace anything?

-- 17 Oct 2018 06:41 --

jakecanada wrote:

You scored and got an Oracle that's almost new old stock really. I owned a Delphi II so I know how great it can sound with the right tonearm cartridge combo. I owned a Dynavector Ruby cartridge (high output MC) on a Mission 774 on that table- great combo. Your Oracle is a better table with that SME V which is an excellent choice for that turntable. Synergy like that between the table arm and cartridge on a high quality table is impressive.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:52 am 
Premium User

jakecanada wrote:

Absolutely gorgeous. The design still looks fresh and modern after all these years. I hope it brings you many years of pleasure!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:06 am 

As Musicware4u mentioned, the Mk2 had motor and power supply issues which resulted in a change in motors in later production series. Other than proper maintenance i.e. cleaning/belt/lubrication etc., the best upgrade is a proper set up. The SME MkV arm is excellent, but is slightly heavier than most arms typically used on an Oracle, therefore, you might want to experiment with a higher tensioned spring in the tonearm pillar side. Talk to Oracle about the spring colors required, as you are not the first to have a SME MkV on an Oracle table.

It's a fun table, enjoy!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:24 am 

I had my Oracle Delphi IV upgraded by Oracle at their shop in Sherbrooke. It was scheduled with them so that the mods were done in a day. It was worth the drive down from Toronto. Oracle will give you a few upgrade options and are possible for your unit. The main mod I had done was the Micro Vibration Stabilizer System (MVSS).

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 5:01 am 

Nice score! If it currently works, I'd suggest a maint kit (available from Oracle) and spend some time to set it up correctly. Then listen for an extended time before making any changes.

I own a Mk 1 that's had every upgrade to Mk 6 spec. My motor was failing, so it started with the motor/drive electronics upgrade, then I added the turbo II power supply. Then after discussion with Martin and Jacques, I added the new bearing assembly and the MVSS upgrade. Cost me less than half the price of a new Mk6 with "95% of the performance" as Jacques put it. The upgrades were well worth it.

In my opinion, the one thing that made the biggest difference was the MVSS. It really removes all of the spurious vibrations from the whole table. Def worth looking into. You may also want to look at the Turbo II power supply if your motor is still in good working condition.

If you're unsure, give Oracle a call, they are very helpful and are happy to answer questions.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 5:33 am 

The motor on my MK II just died for the second time :(
It was nice to find out that Oracle is now selling a replacement motor setup. I'll be pricing that out shortly!

Nice find! Dave