Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Tue Nov 20, 2018 7:27 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Schiit Aegir
PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 12:05 pm 

This is something I am very excited about.

I have been wishing I could afford a First Watt Amplifier for a few years now... but I really can't...

Now Schiit will be making the Aegir Amplifier which is a 20 Watts into 8 ohms and doubling to 40 Watts into 4 ohms.

I have a small room, and probably always will. I seem to have a strong preference for Tannoys, horns and other high efficiency speakers so I do not need a lot of power and would like to have more usable attenuation available on my preamplifier.

I was close to buying the Schiit Vidar but 100W into 8ohms and 200 into 4ohms is too much power for me.

Anyways. I was wondering if anyone else had any thoughts on the new power amplifier from Schiit coming out in early 2019.

Here are some links:

https://darko.audio/2018/10/eat-schiit-audiophiles/

https://www.superbestaudiofriends.org/i ... 782/page-9

Post subject: Re: Schiit Aegir
PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 1:31 pm 

dlodewyk wrote:
This is something I am very excited about.

I have been wishing I could afford a First Watt Amplifier for a few years now... but I really can't...

Now Schiit will be making the Aegir Amplifier which is a 20 Watts into 8 ohms and doubling to 40 Watts into 4 ohms.

I have a small room, and probably always will. I seem to have a strong preference for Tannoys, horns and other high efficiency speakers so I do not need a lot of power and would like to have more usable attenuation available on my preamplifier.

I was close to buying the Schiit Vidar but 100W into 8ohms and 200 into 4ohms is too much power for me.

Anyways. I was wondering if anyone else had any thoughts on the new power amplifier from Schiit coming out in early 2019.

Here are some links:

https://darko.audio/2018/10/eat-schiit-audiophiles/

https://www.superbestaudiofriends.org/i ... 782/page-9

I am very interested in this and how it will compare to the First Watt amps. The design of many First Watt amps are very unique so a comparison may be difficult. Running the schiit as a monoblock would be interesting if you need more power... Can't wait for the first few to hit the market. If Schiits past products are any indication these should offer serious value for the money. Granted... they have had a few bad products in the past.

iFi iSilencer3.0->Wireworld SilverStarlight USB->iFi iPurifier2->NuWave DSD->Audio Sensibility Statement SE XLR->Pass Labs XP-12->Audio Sensibility Statement SE XLR->Pass Labs xa30.8->Wireworld Equinox7->Tannoy Precision 6.2LE

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 2:39 pm 

dlodewyk wrote:

The Aegir, landed in Canada, will cost $1,100 to $1,200. With a little luck, you could find an Aleph 3 or Volksamp 30 which would give you 30wpc in Class A (the Aegir is Class A for the first 10 watts only). Your budget will also allow for a good First Watt F5 clone (avoid the Rawson builds), or Aleph clone. I've purchased three Nelson Pass clone amps in the last two years, an F5, an F5T, and Aleph 2 mono amps. All were well under $1,000, and all are top-notch amps. The F5T is probably the best with my ML Source electrostatic speakers. The F5 gives up very little to the F5T, and has plenty of power for speakers that are at least 90 dB efficient. The Aleph 2 amps, at 100 watts each, are overkill for speakers such as Tannoys (and my MLs), although single-ended solid state sure does sound nice.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 2:43 pm 

Quote:
I am very interested in this and how it will compare to the First Watt amps. The design of many First Watt amps are very unique so a comparison may be difficult. Running the schiit as a monoblock would be interesting if you need more power... Can't wait for the first few to hit the market. If Schiits past products are any indication these should offer serious value for the money. Granted... they have had a few bad products in the past.

I agree. The First Watt amplifiers offer a unique topology, sound and components that are no longer made. The Schiit Aegir won't be competing with those directly in that way.

I suppose what I am most excited about is a low wattage, affordable power amplifier.

-- 14 Oct 2018 16:51 --

Lutherton wrote:
The Aegir, landed in Canada, will cost $1,100 to $1,200. With a little luck, you could find an Aleph 3 or Volksamp 30 which would give you 30wpc in Class A (the Aegir is Class A for the first 10 watts only). Your budget will also allow for a good First Watt F5 clone (avoid the Rawson builds), or Aleph clone. I've purchased three Nelson Pass clone amps in the last two years, an F5, an F5T, and Aleph 2 mono amps. All were well under $1,000, and all are top-notch amps. The F5T is probably the best with my ML Source electrostatic speakers. The F5 gives up very little to the F5T, and has plenty of power for speakers that are at least 90 dB efficient. The Aleph 2 amps, at 100 watts each, are overkill for speakers such as Tannoys (and my MLs), although single-ended solid state sure does sound nice.

This sure does sound like it could be up my alley, but knowing who to buy from...

The nice thing is Schiit has a warranty.

I should look around a bit more, maybe. I really do just want a nice sounding lower powered solid state amplifier. I will take recommendations.

-- 14 Oct 2018 16:53 --

https://www.ebay.com/itm/153167460779

Things like this make me worry I will burn my house down....

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 5:42 am 

This new amp from Schiit is on my watch list to be sure.
I especially like the idea of the standby switch to minimize the idle waste heat.
Thinking this may be a good candidate amp to drive the tweeters in my active tri-amp loudspeaker system.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:09 am 

Sounds like a cool idea. Like many things on SBAF, Schiit products are hyped beyond believe like the second coming of Christ, until more ears get on them and it abruptly dies down.

I'm all for Class A though after owning a Pass Labs XA30.5.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 3:16 pm 

I'd love a Pass Labs Amplifier or a First Watt, out of the budget for now.

I am a bit worried on how it sounds... The Vidar has limited reviews which is not a good sign...

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 8:14 am 

msommers wrote:
Sounds like a cool idea. Like many things on SBAF, Schiit products are hyped beyond believe like the second coming of Christ, until more ears get on them and it abruptly dies down.

I'm all for Class A though after owning a Pass Labs XA30.5.

That's probably typical of a lot of internet direct companies, having fanboys and such on various forums. If you think SBAF is bad, don't try the Head Fi forum whatever you do!

Lately I've picked up a couple of their products and they actually make a pretty decent sounding DAC. I like that the founders of Schiit have been designing audio for many years in previous careers. Everything they make is made domestically which I didn't think was even possible. I haven't tried their head phone amps(except their entry level magni) or 100 wpc speaker amp, but they seem pretty competent.