Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Sun Oct 21, 2018 11:25 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: RMAF
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 5:29 am 

Million dollar systems are obscene. Period. Full stop.

A society having taken leave of its senses from soup to nuts.

Last edited by PBB on Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: RAMF
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 5:51 am 

???? :shock:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 5:56 am 

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 5:58 am 

Might you have meant RMAF (Rocky Mountain Audio Fest) that took place last weekend?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 6:10 am 

I get the fact that specific designs along with proprietary components that make up the final product may impact the overall costs significantly. So I don't really blame the components themselves....However the presentations at these shows is not conducive to what the components are capable of.

I agree that the industry needs to take a serious look at their marketing strategy....Do we really need a $30K pair of cables? Absolutely not. Bare in mind that the people that drop that kind of coin and actually care about the overall results, do it in baby steps thus realizing the benefits or detriments that each step yields. However some of the buyers in this space, couldn't care less about the results...it's simply an ego boost.

I believe the real issue lies with the general market place viewing Audio as a luxury....hence the stupid costs with some components.

There are plenty of great components available to meet all sorts of budgets. As such, I believe that if Audio is to be taken more seriously, the industry needs to stop catering to the million dollar system buyers as there are far fewer of them...and generate more awareness by presenting systems that are more affordable to the general public as this is a much larger space.

Just some thoughts....

Happy Listening,

Frantic R. :D

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 6:29 am 

It's all lipstick and mascara.
Just as flaky as Hollywood and the fashion industry.

G

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 6:35 am 
Premium User

I suspect that a lot of ultra expensive equipment is made to order and hand made. I also think these are statement pieces to increase brand profile. Finally, I also highly doubt anybody pays the sticker price, not even close. Think about it: a pair of speakers costing as much as a house (for example Wilson’s top of the line offering)? A nice house at that? Sure, there is a handful of buyers for this equipment but as a percentage of their net worth, these systems don’t move the needle too much. Some guys are making money far faster than they can spend it. At that level, they aren’t overly price sensitive

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 6:46 am 

sasquatch wrote:
It's all lipstick and mascara.
Just as flaky as Hollywood and the fashion industry.

G

+1

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:46 am 

Ron D wrote:
Might you have meant RMAF (Rocky Mountain Audio Fest) that took place last weekend?

... Or maybe the 'OP' just had a Rectus Abdominis Muscle Flap??? :)

RAMF stands for Rectus Abdominis Muscle Flap.
https://www.acronymfinder.com/Rectus-Ab ... Flap-(RAMF).html

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:53 am 

:lol:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:54 am 

The 'meat and potatoes' of most brands are their entry level or consumer-grade components. Just look at Sennheiser for example - do you think their flagship models are keeping them in business? Their bread n' butter are cheap headphones they can pump out for millions of people with higher margins than a pair of HD800S.

Same likely goes for cable makers. Their entry level, level 2 etc keep the machine rolling. Not their unobtanium $1,000/m garden hoses.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:15 am 
Dealer/Sponsor

Every year I read posts that pooh pooh the ultra-expensive systems on display at the RMAF. I cry; " sour grapes" as who amongst us would turn down an audio system that has left no turn untweaked.

While I have experienced the occasional $1/2M offering that just didn't sound 'right', for the most part these two channel playback systems provide a very good facsimile of a live music experience. Sure I agree, these are not accessible to the common man, the working stiff like you and I but isn't it nice that you can experience systems created for the few with bottomless pockets. Even if it is only for a half hour or so.

Shows like the RMAF and CES are the only opportunity for big name manufacturers to exhibit their best and demonstrate how far technology has advanced. Why deprive them of that?

For us folks back here on earth, there are plenty of affordable exhibits as well. I actually believe the trend is leaning towards high value systems that provide quite excellent sound for the dollar spent. With fewer and fewer brick and mortar hi-fi shops around, shows like the RMAF have become one of a handful of venues where we can get a handle on everything that is out there and judge gear for ourselves.
If you have never been, I urge you to attend at least once in your lifetime. It is a real eye and ear opener.

Cheers

Post subject: Re: RMAF
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:41 am 

If I had the cash to burn you can bet I could have one of those systems! On a more realistic note I am glad there are multi million dollar systems out there. That means there are companies who are pushing the envelope and getting us closer and closer to live music. Give it time and that technology will become cheaper and eventually the rest of us will be able to experience it. Things are always more expensive before they become affordable.

iFi iSilencer3.0->Wireworld SilverStarlight USB->iFi iPurifier2->NuWave DSD->Audio Sensibility Statement SE XLR->Pass Labs XP-12->Audio Sensibility Statement SE XLR->Pass Labs xa30.8->Wireworld Equinox7->Tannoy Precision 6.2LE

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:13 am 

Only so much fidelity you can squeeze out of modern chips,transistors,tubes,caps,copper wire etc....
All are pulling from the same pool of off the shelf components.Drivers a little more leeway.
I see the same components in $200 and $20,000 gear.

G

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:33 am 

I was at RMAF working as an exhibiter back in 2008. I took some time and went and listened to those $1M+ systems. I brought along copies of the jazz CD I produced and released the year before. At the end of the day, in my opinion, the musical performance did not surpass that of the modest system ($15K) in our room. I was surprised. Where do all those $$$$$$$ go? 50,000 watts of amplification does not = musicality.

Prosoundman, did you enjoy the beer we had in our room?

Thank you,

JBLman (& Acoustat man) :D