Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:45 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: DLNA Data Path
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 4:24 pm 

I am trying to figure out the optimal way to setup my Music Server.....the reason I am questioning this is that occasionally music playback either hesitates or stops completely. So let me explain my setup....I use a Yamaha music streamer attached directly to my amp. My music library resides on a 8TB hardrive connected to my router. The connection between the router and the music streamer is wired ethernet. My music playback software is foobar2000 and resides on my laptop that connects via Wifi. I use the DLNA service of Foobar to connect to the Yahama music server. So my question is how does all that data(music) flow between those 3 devices i.e. when I open music files in Foobar does that send all the data to my laptop wirelessly then back to the router and over to the music streamer? Or is the software smart enough to just leave the data on the hardrive and just take commands from Foobar to redirect the data directly to the music server? I am suspecting that it is the first scenario as that may explain the occasional interruptions. Anybody know how this actually works?

Post subject: Re: DLNA Data Path
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:15 pm 

Good question! I thought that the DNLA controller was only supposed to initiate the communication between the two devices, and then get out of the way, but to be honest I have no idea if that's actually how it works. Or even if it works that way in all situations....

One way to figure out if your laptop is in the loop, would be to start an album playing, then shut off the laptops wifi. If the music stops, then I would suspect that it's probably in the loop....

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 6:54 am 

dcrooks wrote:
Good question! I thought that the DNLA controller was only supposed to initiate the communication between the two devices, and then get out of the way, but to be honest I have no idea if that's actually how it works. Or even if it works that way in all situations....

One way to figure out if your laptop is in the loop, would be to start an album playing, then shut off the laptops wifi. If the music stops, then I would suspect that it's probably in the loop....

Not sure this test was conclusive.....when I stopped my wifi connection on my laptop music continued for about 30 seconds or so and then failed. Tried it twice with the same results. So it definitely means that the laptop is integral in the transfer, but still not sure whether it's just relaying commands or whether it's transfering the whole file. Good to test that however...thx.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 8:39 pm 

I suspect that Foobar is retrieving the data from the hard drive and then sending it to the Yamaha as its output device.
The Yamaha should have its own software, music cast?, in which case the computer should then just be controlling the Yamaha; which would be retrieving the files direct from the hard drive; as in your second scenario.
I am not familiar with the Yamaha system but know that is how Sonos works. Once initiated, the computer can go into sleep mode with no effect on playback; and control can be taken over by another device on the same network.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 9:05 pm 

mpublicover wrote:
I suspect that Foobar is retrieving the data from the hard drive and then sending it to the Yamaha as its output device.
The Yamaha should have its own software, music cast?, in which case the computer should then just be controlling the Yamaha; which would be retrieving the files direct from the hard drive; as in your second scenario.
I am not familiar with the Yamaha system but know that is how Sonos works. Once initiated, the computer can go into sleep mode with no effect on playback; and control can be taken over by another device on the same network.

You are right that the Yamaha has it's own software(musicast) which should be the best option for playback...however the musicast software does not do gapless or volume leveling hence my use of Foobar. Yamaha(according to their support team) has no intention of providing either function which is a show stopper for me.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 1:50 pm 

From the description it seems like you're missing the server portion of the setup after you turn off your laptop.

Your 8TB disk is hooked to your router, but there is nothing serving the media content without the laptop. When you use Foobar on your laptop the Foobar is acting as your server. When you shut down the laptop, the streamer uses whatever is left in its storage buffer and then runs out of data and the music stops.

In my own setup I have a small PC running Linux. The media server software is called miniDLNA.

My router *also* has this capability, were I to attach a USB disk to it. I've attached a screenshot of my router's user interface - there's an option to turn on the DLNA server. (On mine it's disabled.) Yours might have something similar.

If you have any questions about this let me know. I've been streaming DLNA for more than eight years.

Attachments:
2018-10-28_17-45-17.png
2018-10-28_17-45-17.png [ 150.25 KiB | Viewed 161 times ]