Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Sun Oct 21, 2018 11:16 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Dust cap replacement
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:50 pm 

Hi,

I just got a used pair of Soliloquy 5.3. There is a tear in one of the driver's dust cap, more than half around is detached. Despite of that, they sound pretty good and I cannot hear any difference between the two speakers. I think the best is to replace it in order to avoid any problem later. I am wondering if someone has experimented this before with theses speakers and what kind of dust cap has been used. It seems to be a kind of rubber (not sure). Also, according to your experience, is it an easy fix? Something that can be done without removing the driver ? Is it better to bring it to a repair shop? Again, for now, the sound is not affected.
Thanks for your help.

Post subject: Re: Dust cap replacement
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 4:29 pm 

It all depends on your skill level with an exacto knife.

You can remove the dust cap with precision cutting.

I do this all the time when re-foaming speakers.

Ohms

www.leohl.ca

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:45 pm 

ebay usually have a good selection of dust cap available. I have seen and bought some rubbery type like you say. they where good quality. you might need to buy just about 3 to 4 mm bigger, because there will probably be some glue from old dust cap. so you need to cover that with new dust cap. but don t go much more bigger then that because you want to keep about same size for venting of the voice coil.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:27 am 
Dealer/Sponsor

AudiOhm wrote:
It all depends on your skill level with an exacto knife.

You can remove the dust cap with precision cutting.

I do this all the time when re-foaming speakers.

Ohms

I've never removed a dustcap on hundreds of refoams. Very manly of me, I guess.

However, coils not being as square as possible to the gap and top plate, can lead to an increase in upper frequency harmonic distortion under heavier loading on a driver meant for a two-way, or if it is a mid intended unit. Where the surround is also more critical.....

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:59 am 

Ive done many re-foams and never HAD to remove the dustcap. I have ran into loose caps or seperating caps that ive had to fix but never had to purposely remove one to do a re-foam.

That being said, i would simply take a hobby knife/scalpel and cut the old one off leaving about a 16th of an inch of the old cap still attatched...then trim your new cap to fit just over the little lip you created and that will give the new cap something to hold on to instead of trying to glue the new cap directly to the edge of the voicecoil.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:19 am 

when doing refoam, the best way to insure coil aligment is with shims wich need dust cap removale.just like if you where doing a recone job. most recone kit come with shims and dustcap .

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:31 am 

You are correct, push in dust cap or a tear in the cap, you won't hear any difference in sound, but it's always best to replace said cap to avoid dust infiltrating the coil.

How to replace a cap, quite easy, just follow this visual.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2uOvO0yiF3s

I've replaced a number of suspensions (foam) in different speakers and have always replaced the cap with a new one, reason be, I like to shims the voice coil when dong this.

Since your suspension is all right, just replace the dust cap, although I would remove the whole driver for ease of installation.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:43 am 

Razor blades are much sharper than knives.
You may be able to attach a larger dust cap over the existing dust cap.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:25 am 

zon001 wrote:
when doing refoam, the best way to insure coil aligment is with shims wich need dust cap removale.just like if you where doing a recone job. most recone kit come with shims and dustcap .

Thats the hard way and the proper way to refoam but it isnt always needed.....drivers with notoriously excessive vc gap can be centered without shims...ive done quite a few drivers without shims including several Paradigms and vifa/peerless etc.
Shimming is absolutely required on dual concentrics like Tannoys or KEFs but conventional drivers can normally be done with a gentle hand and some patience.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:43 am 

yes some will go without shim, but you are never 100% sure of perfect alignment. if you take like jbl woofer I would never do without shims. most high quality drivers have a very narrow gap and could be almost impossible of doing without shims.
jbl 4 inche voice coils recone always come with a nice one piece shim , that fit perfectly.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:54 am 

Youre definately taking your chances by not shimming. Shimming also helps keep your spyder from sagging while the glue drys on your new foam but theres ways around that as well....even though your vc alignment may be off, as long as you have no rubbing and the cone can go through its entire motion cycle with no issues, once the glue drys you will still never have an issue with it. Ive done most of my re-foams by hand and they are currently operating like new to this day.The alignment itself isnt a major deal as long as theres no rubbing. You could have a 1mm gap on one side and 1.5mm on the other and as long as theres no rubbing you will never notice a difference.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 5:07 pm 

If the dustcap is coming loose, not torn, it should be fairly easy to just glue the loose part. Use a small brush to apply the glue in the gap,

Cheers,
Alec

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 8:06 am 

The dust cap is torn almost all around. This morning, I went to a shop in Ottawa, but the guy doesn’t have the exact dust cap size. So I am thinking of doing the job myself but without removing the whole driver and with the best precision cutting I can do. It is not easy to move this 80 pounds speaker. I am hesitant to install a new dust cap over the old one…
Now, I am in the process of identifying the right item to order (quality, size, etc.) and the best place to buy it.
I thank you guys for your comments and advice. I will let you know the results.
Have a good day.
Really like these Solliloquy 5.3

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 11:52 am 

Alec_124c41 wrote:
If the dustcap is coming loose, not torn, it should be fairly easy to just glue the loose part. Use a small brush to apply the glue in the gap,

Cheers,
Alec

Yes, why not simply glue it back down? Syringes made for precision gluing can be bought at Lee Valley.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 3:11 pm 

Guybe wrote:
The dust cap is torn almost all around. This morning, I went to a shop in Ottawa, but the guy doesn’t have the exact dust cap size. So I am thinking of doing the job myself but without removing the whole driver and with the best precision cutting I can do. It is not easy to move this 80 pounds speaker. I am hesitant to install a new dust cap over the old one…
Now, I am in the process of identifying the right item to order (quality, size, etc.) and the best place to buy it.
I thank you guys for your comments and advice. I will let you know the results.
Have a good day.
Really like these Solliloquy 5.3

If it's unglue all around, you could glue it back as other people suggested, if not, if it's ripped, you could contact these two Co. and ask what they have for your speakers.

Dust cap for 5.25” poly-fiber-cone bass-midrange units for Soliloquy 5.3 loudspeakers

https://www.parts-express.com

https://www.simplyspeakers.com