Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:38 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Beware! The Serviceman!
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:10 am 
Premium User

Written in 1945.

How To Avoid Being Gypped by this Master Racketeer.

Anybody have any Mikrohomic Tubes???

Anyone else see a anti-semitism bias in this???

Attachments:
Beware the Serviceman!!! (866 x 1200).jpg
Beware the Serviceman!!! (866 x 1200).jpg [ 367.33 KiB | Viewed 1407 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:00 am 

The author sounds like he doesn’t trust anyone in the radio business. Anti Semitic ? You bet. Luckily, different times.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:38 am 
Premium User

Page 2

Other "Rube Goldbergs"

He next proceeded to connect and disconnect a lot of wires and he hooked up a machine that had a funny sound but apparently didn't do anything satisfactory because he soon disconnected it and proceeded to hook in a thing that looked like a television set. It had a lot of knobs like all radiomen's junk, and it also had a television tube in the center of it. This only showed him a bunch of wavy green lines but no pictures. He tried to make the lines change shape and move around but I guess he saw that he was getting nowhere. I let him see that he didn't make much of an impression on me.

He took out a dirty old black thing with a lot of wires coming out of it, from the set. Then he took out some more parts and stuff. He had to go back to his shop for something or other (I think he said it was a power transformer he needed but that doesn't sound right). This gave me a chance to look over his equipment and see how they work, but the manufacturers purposely make them so complicated and tricky that even an expert electrician couldn't figure them out in less than fifteen minutes.

I did some checking up on prices while he was gone, just so's he wouldn't be able to put anything over on me. I'm passing along the information to the reader for what it's worth. I got it from my janitor who admits that he can repair radios better than most of these so-called radiomen. I also got some good inside dope from one of the kids upstairs who fools around with bells and other stuff, so must know something of what goes on in the radio field. They told me that most radiomen don't know what they're doing and guess almost all the time. He also gave me a list of what parts cost. A condentsor only cost three cents except if it's an elecrolylik and then it cost about five or six cents. A resister only costs one cent each. A power transmitter only costs about 30 or 35 cents.

"Inside" Dope on Parts

From this price list, you can easily see how much these gyps make on the unknowing customer. I also got some inside dope on what these things are made of. Condentsors are nothing more than a roll of ordinary silver paper wrapped up in a cardboard tube with melted wax poured around it. They are graded according to capacity which in plain language means how much silver paper the tube can hold.

Resisters are merely hunks of ordinary carbon put together with two pieces of wire sticking out of them. Some are made with a lot of wire wound around a piece of plaster. These are called wire wound resisters. Transmitters and chokes are only big bunches of wire coiled up on pieces of iron cut in the shape of letters like "E" and "L" and "T." Then a lot of tar is poured in and the whole thing is put into a metal box or case. Coils are a bunch of wire wound around a piece of cardboard tube and then covered with wax again. A speaker is just a circle of paper mounted in a metal frame, with a coil of wire wound around the smaller end of it.

Tubes are one thing that always scare the average person into paying a large bill. This bug-a-boo should have been destroyed long ago. Tubes are only little glass bottles with wires inside of them. Some of these wires hold up pieces of metal, while others are apparently just put there for their beauty as they don't hold up anything at all. And that's all there is to them. Absolutely all! If you ever get the chance or if you have a radio at home that you'd like to experiment with, do as I suggest. Take the set apart. Find at least one of each of these parts. Take each one of them apart thoroughly and carefully, noting what goes where so you can put them back again the same way. In the case of the tubes, be careful that you don't damage the glass too much. The paper piece of the speaker is only glued on so it should come off with a slight tug.

Try your best not to break the little wires on the bottom of this, as it's fairly hard to put them back. The condensors can be taken apart with a penknife and a small pair of pliers; Resisters might have to be broken apart with a hammer but the cost of these is so small that you can easily afford the fun. After you have satisfied yourself that what' I am saying is true, put the set back together again. If you find that it is too much trouble scoop it all up carefully into a large paper bag and take it to your nearest radio store. For a nominal fee (usually about fifty cents to one dollar) he will put it together again for you. Watch him carefully as he does this, for several reasons. You can learn a lot by watching him and listening carefully to his muttering, and you can see that He doesn't damage your set! In case you have no confidence in him, or if you prefer to put it together by yourself, you can obtain complete instructions by writing for the author's complete instruction manual, enclosing $2.00 to cover cost of handling and air-mailing.

Exorbitant Charges

To continue with my expose: About an hour later the mechanic came back and after fooling around for another hour he fixed the set so that it worked perhaps a little better than before. He gave me a long sales talk about what he did and then presented his bill for $8.00!! Imagine the nerve of that gyp! After wasting four-and-one-half hours of my time and ripping my entire radio apart, he wanted. to charge me $8.00. I held my temper, though. I told him that I only had $2.00 on me at the time and paid him that just to get rid of him. He'll never see the other $6.00 though. I know better than that. If he tries to collect, I'll sue him for fraud.

Now that I have exposed this thieving racket, I'd appreciate any letters from readers who have similar experiences to relate or who can supply additional information on how to beat the radio racketeer at his own game.

In my next article I will give you the on the inside story of television and tell you how you can repair your own high-voltage-power-supply television receiver and FM set. I am endeavoring to set up a school to teach the layman how to do all these repairs without any instruments at all, but at present we are bound up in red tape and they refuse to give me a license to operate this sort of school. Eventually we will set up this school, in another state if necessary. Then the public will benefit and these crooks will be driven out of business.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:52 am 

Not anti-semitic. Gyp refers to Gypsy.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:58 am 

I didn't pick up anti-semitism at all. Regards to the reference in the very last sentence to Rube Goldberg, he was the original cartoonist/engineer who was famous for his extremely complicated sketches of contraptions that performed simple tasks. The Rube Goldberg machine, something deliberately over-complicated.

Henry Ford, now there was a anti-semite if ever there was one in America. He and Hitler had a mutual admiration for each other.

That article speaks in the language of the average Joe in 1945. We now consider "gyp" a derogatory word as it is comes from the prejudice against Gypsys.
-------------------------------------------------------------
Related to TVs and racism-

Funny, when I was a kid in the late 60's early 70's, when TVs still had tubes, we had a repairman that probably visited the house a few times over the years. His name was Max and he was a very soft spoken guy. I most likely watched him do his work as an inquisitive child. His company was called Easy Television (not TV) and he would say the name very slow and deliberately on his answering machine greeting, my family thought that was funny. But more interestingly, he had black belts in martial arts and when there was a racist event happening within range (for example neo-Nazi/white supremacists in Montreal in the 70's), he and a few friends would quietly dawn their balaclavas and drop in for an uninvited visit.

Turns out he and his friends pretty much were the Toronto chapter of the JDL in those days. :lol:
This was all hearsay of course since Max never said anything.

Last edited by racecars on Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:06 pm 

What’s a gypsy ? What is their ethnicity ? Seriously.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:07 pm 
Premium User

Gerhard Roemer wrote:

Google is your friend!!! Seriously. 8)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:16 pm 

Gerhard Roemer wrote:

I worked with an engineer who was Romanian gypsy and he said he lost a lot of family in the war.

Their bloodlines can be traced to Bengali India. This is why so many of them are dark skinned. Apparently they migrated to Central Europe approximately 1000 years ago and they were travelling musicians and entertainers for the most part during the medieval era.

I know someone who has travelled a fair bit in Romania and he said Romas, as they are now called, are major land owners and have nice properties in that country, especially farms.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:47 pm 

racecars wrote:
Gerhard Roemer wrote:

I worked with an engineer who was Romanian gypsy and he said he lost a lot of family in the war.

Their bloodlines can be traced to Bengali India. This is why so many of them are dark skinned. Apparently they migrated to Central Europe approximately 1000 years ago and they were travelling musicians and entertainers for the most part during the medieval era.

I know someone who has travelled a fair bit in Romania and he said Romas, as they are now called, are major land owners and have nice properties in that country, especially farms.

Gerhard...I'm surprised (not in a judgemental way) that you did not know of "The Roma"...when I lived in Germany (most of the 80s and into 91)...The Roma where the topic of conversation both formally (on the news and via government) and informally (at pubs and restaurants)...it always made me a little queasy...like anywhere and anytime...there is always a "hierarchy of racism"...in Germany whn I was there..."Auslander" was number 1; Turks number 2; The Roma number 3...in descending order of OK-ness...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Romani_people

Last edited by Stone on Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:52 pm 

Gerhard Roemer wrote:

Attachments:
téléchargement.jpg
téléchargement.jpg [ 9.52 KiB | Viewed 1047 times ]
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:57 pm 

Gerhard Roemer wrote:

One needs to see them and live around them to get an understanding ,google is very general filtered pre-washed information.When I was a kid growing up back home in Greece,we had them come around certain times of the year and usually selling potatoes or tomatoes from the back of a Datsun pick up track. Many little kids ,and women together in flocks, living in tents and constantly on the move. Didn't like to belong in the general community and kept to themselves. I know the Greek Government the State had made several attempts to house them in proper homes and they even made communities for them in different provinces but they basically abandoned their homes. As they say you can take the horse to the water but you can't force the horse to drink.Police presence was usually around and preferred whenever they were together in larger numbers . Not good memories .
George

Last edited by Yiorgos on Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:00 pm 

Genetic wrote:
Gerhard Roemer wrote:

Hmm showing old poor Romas as a representation of all. Really?

That same Romanian engineer grew up in QC, and he also told me he thought there are/were lots of Nazi sympathizers in rural QC though most have probably passed by now.

I am sure people in Greece were just as xenophobic as anywhere else. After all, these people weren't land owners for the most part.

These people traditionally were not tied to land ownership, conventional jobb, taxes etc, but that has changed in some places. And, incidentally aside from their culture could prejudice and xenophobia be what has kept some of them down?

It's tough to be educated or established without establishing your presence via property ownership.

https://www.livescience.com/25294-origi ... eople.html

Last edited by racecars on Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:25 pm, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:04 pm 

Yiorgos wrote:
Gerhard Roemer wrote:

One needs to see them and live around them to get an understanding ,google is very general filtered pre-washed information.When I was a kid growing up back home in Greece,we had them come around certain times of the year and usually selling potatoes or tomatoes from the back of a Datsun pick up track. Many little kids ,and women together in flocks .Police presence was usually around and prefered. Not good memories .
George

That's how I recall it in Germany too...caravans of old cars and trailers...in the village I lived in...they'd park & camp just outside town on the Rhine river...

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:13 pm 

I have seen them in Montreal when I first landed in Canada (many many years ago) behaving better I would say. Also I see them occasionally here in Toronto once in a blue moon ,rare times .But I seen a bunch of them last week on StClair near Dufferin st. Tell tale signs are they are dressed funny ,dark and skinny guys ,many kids and women around like a polygamy theme and a vehicle as a home (vans are used now)
George

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:56 pm 

Last post on this thread.

This must be what my former employer was referring to. He said there are fancy houses with elaborate tin roofs out on farms as the telltale sign the house is owned by Romas throughout the countryside in Romania. So, their newer affluence is under scrutiny. These people might not have followed the building permit protocol, or again maybe just persecution. Apparently they actually were slaves in Romania until around 1850. Crazy how things like that are completely unknown to us people in North America, where slavery was finally abolished around the same time.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... es-up.html

Nice video embedded showing a cruise down affluent Roma area.