Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:09 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 5:23 pm 

I didn't believe in the second coming of Christ that is MQA in the first place. Now after watching this, I will NEVER support MQA.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NSv0lcHlawk&t=8s

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:01 pm 

The internet is full of people making statements on subjects of which they have painfully inadequate understanding; but, because they see themselves as more knowledgeable than they actually are, think their opinions are somehow more important than actually presenting facts. This video is 42 minutes and 16 seconds of someone making an utter fool of themselves. The questions and statements put forth seemed to me to be from the end of the reality spectrum that asks what colour one should paint their car in order to make it go faster. The problem for most viewers would not be how much they can learn from this individual, which is clearly nothing; but, how little he is willing to admit how little he knows and how little it should matter to others. We all know something about most any given topic; however, that is a far cry from making suppositions from mere uninformed opinion.

To anyone wishing to understand this topic, I strongly suggest you find and carefully listen to the two 45 minute U-Tube videos where Bob Stuart explains how MQA works. I've listened to MQA and it does work. Mr. Stuart carefully describes the parameters - unlike the "conjecture" video where the moderator asks questions outside the explanation parameters and then thinks his questions have to be answered to his satisfaction, or else his claims should be construed to be true, or at least raise a sceptre of doubt. Here, I may interject that the world is full of people who don't know how to think, and because of this sad fact, don't know that it applies to them.

The only real "problem" with MQA is that it's not free. Bob Stuart never invented and developed anything that he could not licence. And why would he? Circuit designers don't like being told they have to follow someone else's design and hardware manufacturers don't like having to pay licensing fees. How many people think their music files should impact their wallets, she asked rhetorically? I hope the person who started this thread doesn't think the video has any validity, or is not presenting it as some way of starting a debate about MQA. That train has left the station!!!

Why do we have to continually put up with such nonsense videos and misinformation? I have a few answers: (1) Many people regard someone who knows one more fact than they do, on a given topic, to be an expert; (2) For the newbies in audio, systems that sound better than their system seem to sound perfect; (3) Most people have some degree of difficulty admitting they know nothing about something to which they have given a good deal of attention; (4) As with romance, it's very hard to see the flaws when you don't want to find them in the first place; (5) Some people are very good at skirting facts that could derail their opinions, before they become too hard to ignore; (6) When people can't find an authority that also professes their views, they become an authority themselves; then they find their true calling and start making U-Tube videos; (6) Just because you don't understand something doesn't mean it isn't true; and the kicker, (7) Many have the true gift of forming an opinion before they have all of the facts.

Nothing feels as good as giving yourself the benefit of the doubt! These statements and generalizations are the sole responsibility of their author, who bears full responsibility for their content, be it ever misleading or not. Cheers.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:39 am 

You’re right the video is 42 minutes of somebody making a fool of themselves, namely The MQA industry guys. The presenter tried very hard to be reasonable and was not afraid to state that his knowledge was limited.
MQA is about money and control and anyone who cannot see that has their head buried in the sand. I will definitely not be buying in.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 4:06 am 
Premium User

I felt the same way when I first started seeing Marc Saltzman talking about tech.......he made a name for himself as an "expert".........I'll give him credit he didn't give up......

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 4:53 am 

Quote:
To anyone wishing to understand this topic, I strongly suggest you find and carefully listen to the two 45 minute U-Tube videos where Bob Stuart explains how MQA works. I've listened to MQA and it does work. Mr. Stuart carefully describes the parameters - unlike the "conjecture" video where the moderator asks questions outside the explanation parameters and then thinks his questions have to be answered to his satisfaction, or else his claims should be construed to be true, or at least raise a sceptre of doubt. Here, I may interject that the world is full of people who don't know how to think, and because of this sad fact, don't know that it applies to them.

There's good information on MQA in Stereophile during the last year, contained in several articles.
Some argue that the editor, JA, is in the pocket of the industry, but the facts seem to be there and well covered.
It's a personal thing, but I can hear a difference when cd is compared with mqa resolution over Tidal streams. The latter is an improvement imho.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:48 am 
Dealer/Sponsor

I'm neither for nor against MQA.

The part I'm against, is MQA becoming the 'standard' by which audio files are presented.

It kills the evolution of audio into one standard, in a time and place, where evolution and change is the norm.

It's an industry profit and control move..... not a music quality move. Power, money, control, over that of service to the customer or the subject area at hand.

This is about the DRM, and how you can be sold a higher resolution of the given recording, AFTER MQA is finally pushed aside. This is about total customer lockout. Don't let anyone kid you.

We might lose 10-15 years of music, or more, into this thing. For most of us this actually represents approx 20%-25% of our more proper 'listening lives', regarding that search for getting closer to the original recording, and the discovery and enjoyment of new music.

It has nothing to do with high quality audio and everything to do with DRM. This is a run at digital/CD all over again, but with total control of the data. Money talks.

Last edited by Teo Audio on Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:52 am 
Premium User

One of my favourite replies under the video (you should read those too):

Woofy 98102
2 days ago
Anyone with a memory longer than three weeks already knows that MQA and their industry shills have been inundating audio industry publications with their endlessly changing claims (and always after getting caught lying, hmm...) since MQA's initial announcement. It's obvious that MQA wants consumers to believe that it's the next best thing next to sliced bread. However, the spectacle of these jokers constantly and aggressively attempting to shout down the presenter with their ridiculously juvenile, offensively rude and silly, semantical theatrics was seriously off-putting. That, combined with their incessant and inappropriate demands of the presenter makes it apparent to anyone with a functioning cerebral cortex that they're suspiciously intent upon preventing public awareness of any and all criticisms and suspicions expressed by individuals not financially enriched by MQA success or who aren't mindlessly jumping on MQA's little PR bandwagon. Not only do their actions spectacularly fail to pass the smell test, it reeks like a tropical sewer in monsoon season! If MQA is so damn wonderful, it would have little problem standing the test of ANY criticism or concern. Yet, these MQA shills sound far less like professionals and far more like a bunch of shady used car salesmen trying to shout down anyone attempting to tell you that the car they're trying to sell you was salvaged from Chernobyl. I've dealt with their kind long enough for my internal bull**** detector to sound the alarm that a con job of major proportions is in the offing. And to think I was actually feeling reasonably open-minded about MQA's potential as an alternative format in spite of all the industry hype and bull****. However, after witnessing the endless disruptions and outrageous rudeness of these MQA profiteers, it's apparent that MQA is nothing but another chocolate covered turd with a PR campaign designed to dupe unsuspecting consumers into buying into a future of overreaching DRM where they're financially bled every time they want to listen to the music they've already paid for. It's grossly apparent from the MQA reps' conduct that only ones benefitting from MQA are MQA's promoters and their corporate customers. It's also glaringly apparent after watching this circus that MQA is FAR less about fidelity and more about an effort to cash in on record company executive and shareholder greed without tipping consumers off that they're about to get royally shafted. Thanks to the stunning hubris of its promoters, MQA has unintentionally given intelligent observers a telling glimpse of MQA's true intentions and consumer value isn't one of them. Well, this particular consumer has better things to do with his money than giving one dime to any of the MQA shills in this video or their formerly-respectable employer. Their conduct has so disgusted me that I deleted the MQA firmware update package I had full intention of installing on my new DAC before the unpleasant experience of watching this video. Bob Stuart and his bunch of MQA mobsters can go stuff themselves for all I care. Good riddence and best wishes for their spectacular failure.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:06 am 

...MIC DROP.... :D

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:56 am 

MQA to me seems like another cable argument. I personally have not heard mqa vs regular files so i am not qualified to make comments concerning its sound quality. I have a dac that is not capable. I have a great investment in high resolution downloads and physical media. The requirement of owning a mqa dac to fully enjoy the benefits of mqa and I do not wish to subscribe to tidal, makes mqa a no go for me. I feel slightly bias against mqa after hearing the over enthusiastic praise by the editor of absolute sound magazine. He make mqa sound as if everything prior to it a waste of time.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:26 am 

Long live CDs and Redbook 16/44.1.

We have all been through these digital format changes ... and have shaken out in different directions, some returning to vinyl, others satisfied with high resolution downloads (PCM or DSD), and others (like myself) finding that with a decent DAC, Redbook standard is adequate for human hearing.

HDCD is a format that I was impressed with after I heard a Reference Recordings HDCD on my (then) new Rotel RCD-971. It was, by far, the best sounding recording I had ever heard, with much bigger bass and a larger dynamic range and richer sound than any of my other CDs at the time. I haven't listened to it in a long time, but but it still may be at the top of my list for sound quality, irrespective of format.

However, I now think it was the incredible recording quality and studio work that was responsible for this sound, rather than the "increased" resolution and dynamic range of 18 or 20 bits of fidelity that HDCD supposedly offered. None of my new 24/96 "real" high resolution recordings are as big and rich as this HDCD - as a matter of fact, 16 bit and 24 bit from the same master have identical tonality. The high resolution recordings offer a lower noise floor than 16/44, and may have a greater sense of space and detail, but IMO the differences are so slight that I have largely lost interest in 24/96 downloads, as Tidal HiFi is adequate, and far less expensive, though I would give a slight edge to 24/96 files.

Actually, most 24 bit files are just 16 bit files centered on a 24 bit grid. I have yet to hear any expansion of dynamic range (not counting the lower noise floor) between 16 bit and 24 bit, though certainly the potential is there.

So, I have no desire for a better format ... I'm not replacing my digital processor/DAC which I hope will last another 10-20 years. Their product/process may be fine, but I can't see who will support their business model.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:36 am 

My OPPO-205 can play MQA but for some reason I've never tried it and really I'm not all that interested.

Another gimmick to make me spend money when I already have many CDs, Vinyls, FLAC, Hi-Rez FLAC etc.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:53 am 

While I am totally against MQA I concede that there are many of their albums that probably sound great. I think they sound great despite their format in MQA. For me that’s not the point. There are albums that sound great in almost any format.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:07 pm 

analogluvr wrote:
While I am totally against MQA I concede that there are many of their albums that probably sound great. I think they sound great despite their format in MQA. For me that’s not the point. There are albums that sound great in almost any format.

Well said. The Tidal Masters of VH1 and 1984 were the best versions I've heard... but I'm sure it's the particular mastering of that version, and not the file format. Why not release that mastering in standard Hi-Res so we can hear the incredible difference that MQA makes?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:19 pm 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:40 pm 

...what I think may be lost on some...leaving quality aside for a second...if MQA is really a play for hegemony with respect to DRM (digital rights management)...you might think differently about it...especially in light of the bully/boorish behaviour of the MQA peeps at the conference session in the video...