Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:12 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:02 am 

I don't know. Just having fun watching Upscal Audio's Kevin Deal's videos. Great store, been there once. Seems like he is somehow always putting down Sonus Faber and pushing Focal. In one video, he actuallly reduces SF to just a nice-looking speaker, as if you are going to spend 10k just for looks (maybe some will, but SF is so much more than that of course I have owned quite a few over the years).

And he always does his cupped-hand mimick - what's happening here?

Have fun and look at all 3 videos and I would love to read your comments if you agree or not.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9B1iz58D1IA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7fyIoBsh2pk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WHFlaf3yWgk

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:24 am 

Not the prettiest spokesmodel.

G

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:29 am 

Having owned some the older Sonus Faber speakers, IMHO, with the passing of Franco Serblin and subsequent sale to the McIntosh Group, Sonus Faber has not been the same.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:33 am 
Premium User

I've dealt with him during my travels. Too much of the slimy salesman approach for my liking but some people must like it. He is the type of salesperson that hypes up a product until it stops selling, or they lose the line and then talks about how much better the floor space replacement sounds. The "best deal in audio right now" pitch gets a bit tiring as well.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:59 am 

Ah yes "losing the line" a reality that no dealer ever speaks about. They all prefer to flog the notion that they have free choice of all that is available out there which they exercise after ultra critical audition. All very believable stuff. No doubt.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:17 pm 

brf wrote:
Having owned some the older Sonus Faber speakers, IMHO, with the passing of Franco Serblin and subsequent sale to the McIntosh Group, Sonus Faber has not been the same.

Maybe you are right, but that is beside the point, I am just questioning the obvious put-down of a manufacturer just to put another in a brighter (and probably more profitable) light.

My two cents on SF, I tend to disagree: Franco Serblin's designs were magnificient, but with a somehow closed-in extra-warm sound enveloppe and lacking in detail. Everything sounding pretty much buttery - and nice. They have much improved on this with the new management. SF (mainly their holding) have also become somewhat controlling and shrewed with dealers, pushing pretty hard the sales machine, in my opinion.

Still, I have always been a fan of SF, still offering a nice package after all.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 1:44 pm 

Hi
I can't comment on the speaker brands ,I never owned either but I have heard the names and are held in high prestige no doubt .
As for Kevin Deal the person .Well I have seen many of his videos for entertainment purposes. In my opinion he is fake ,a salesman really,even his name is probably made up to suit his persona. A funny clown perhaps ,he is animated and he uses fancy talk and clever phrases that he picked up from others . He is like Michael Fremer in a way. He also looks beat up ,I know he is older but still he looks he did enough abuse to himself in the past,you know what I mean.He also pushes his own creation a lot (Primaluna)
Best
George

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:11 pm 

Yiorgos wrote:
Hi
I can't comment on the speaker brands ,I never owned either but I have heard the names and are held in high prestige no doubt .
As for Kevin Deal the person .Well I have seen many of his videos for entertainment purposes. In my opinion he is fake ,a salesman really,even his name is probably made up to suit his persona. A funny clown perhaps ,he is animated and he uses fancy talk and clever phrases that he picked up from others . He is like Michael Fremer in a way. He also looks beat up ,I know he is older but still he looks he did enough abuse to himself in the past,you know what I mean.He also pushes his own creation a lot (Primaluna)
Best
George

Not sure about any fancy talk from Deal, he looks more like the weekend beer & biker type...I doubt that manufacturers of high-end speaker drivers take note of his 'cupping hands' technique to explain travelling sound waves haha! However, the intertainment value is there watching his videos.

Last edited by milag on Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:13 pm 
Premium User

All his salesman moves aside, he has been absolutely spot on with the three pieces of gear I've owned that he's reviewed. His review of the sonus Faber venere signature is a perfect example. In a polite way he says its a dog and I also found them to be weak in several areas with the exception of there Fancy appearance. As for his focal reviews, he is absolutely on the ball with them. With regards to companies dropping dealers, it happens all the time but it's unlikely that has happened to him. I'm sure he's been put in a position to decide (focal or b&w) possibly but in the case of those two speakers I believe he made a choice based on many things and sound being high on that list. This is of course just my opinion but it's the feeling I get with regards to his reviews and product choices

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:20 pm 

Evidently this is the run-Kevin-Deal's-name-into-the-ground thread. Does anyone actually have bad experiences to share, or do we just not like the way he pitches what he sells?

He seems to be liked by most of those who have dealt with him. And he seems to be a bit of a tube expert who has access to great quality NOS tubes.

Definitely opinionated. But if all he says about PL build quality and design is accurate then I see no issue with him being passionate about the brand, especially if he helped create it.

His pitch is a bit much perhaps, but I'd have no concern buying Focal, PL, Musical Fidelity, or whatever else he sells from him. Those are pretty much proven, quality brands. And UA may just be big enough that he does have a lot of choice in what he can stock, so perhaps what he says is what he actually thinks. To state otherwise feels like speculation to me.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:30 pm 

bought some tubes from him and these died on me like one month later....may be just bad luck, but I did not shop there since.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:31 pm 
Premium User

It must be difficult to produce a less than raving youtube video of a line you carry without repercussions from the manufacturer. So some of the talk is a bit coded, which I am fine with. He often gets the new stuff shortly after it is released and reviews it shortly thereafter. I think he is fine and serves a purpose. Would love to visit his store.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:36 pm 

I’ve bought both equipment and tubes fron Kevin Deal and never had a problem. He knows tubes. You would be surprised by how many calls per day he gets from tire kickers trying to pick his brain for free advice. Once you have developed a relationship with Kevin, he is IME, both trustworthy and helpful.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:52 pm 

Oh those damn tire kickers! :roll:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 3:39 pm 
Premium User

Upscale Audio homepage says Sonus Faber Liquidation Event underway. Coincidence? I think not.