Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:54 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: LS50W
PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 2:23 pm 

S’funny. I’ve been listening to these for three weeks, and found them eminently convenient, but not as stellar as the reviews have suggested. But the last couple of nights they have really blossomed. They’re actually quite fun to listen to now. In a 15 foot square room, which admittedly is not great, I have them 8’ apart and pointing straight ahead, and around 2’ out from the back wall. Toeing them in was not good at all. These things also need volume. Playing them quiet will be adequate but ho-hum. Crank them up and suddenly, black and white becomes technicolor. A week ago I could have sold them, today, I’ll keep em. Next week? Who knows, but if you’re thinking of getting them to replace all your separates and cables, be patient. They will reward you.

Post subject: Re: LS50W
PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 3:57 pm 

I would never sell my Ls50 . I have the regular ones and for what they cost me they just sound so good. Every time I plug em back in I thoroughly enjoy them. I find them quite good at lower volumes. I currently have them hooked to a Yamaha A-S2100 amp. I think it’s a real good match. :D

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:13 pm 

I think a lot of people give up on these before the end of break in which is easily over 100 hours.

I bought mine (standard LS50) about 6 months old from the original owner who did not listen to them as much as they did not work in his room. They worked fine in my room but I really noticed they opened up about a month after I bought them - likely the break in had not concluded.

Many speakers I have owned sounded ok out of the box - restricted but reasonably balanced. After 25 to 50 hours, they might actually sound worse as the various components break in after different points. This then settles down at the 100 hour mark and they might improve subtly after that. Anything with a metal tweeter usually sounds better after a couple of hundred hours IME. Balance does not fundamentally change but the tweeter gets a bit smoother.

That said LS50 needs a warm, punchy amplifier. and decent sources and cables. I added a sub for movies but it actually sounds just fine without one.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:37 pm 

People tell all kinds of stories. This is just one of them....I personally change my opinion on my equipment several times a week :lol: :lol: :lol:

Rega RP6 + Dynavector 10x5 > Simaudio Moon Neo 310LP

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:43 pm 
Premium User

If I ever decided to get out of the hobby I'd be fine with a pair of the LS50's for multimedia use. The wireless would eliminate the need for extra boxes as well. I like the grey/red and white/copper finishes.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:55 pm 

yrogins wrote:
People tell all kinds of stories. This is just one of them....I personally change my opinion on my equipment several times a week :lol: :lol: :lol:

I think you use some very revealing equipment - much more so than my more entry level stuff. My older more expensive equipment varied more day to day with humidity, power quality etc. With my current more affordable stuff, you can still hear differences from these effects but they are not as dramatic.

Funny thing about the LS50 - heard the rave reviews and then heard them a few times at shows/store and they did not bowl me over. But once I tried them in my own home with a good pair of Skylan stands, I realized what great speakers they were for the money. Yes, I will take a pair of previous gen Proac Tablettes over the LS50s, but that is it. These are pretty killer for the money. They are not as neutral as my budget Dynaudios or as open as the my entry Focals or as perfectly balanced as my little Paradigms, but they are a very interesting speaker. Non audiophiles always compliment their appearance too.

Last edited by banerjba on Mon Oct 01, 2018 4:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 9:22 pm 

banerjba wrote:
yrogins wrote:

I think you use some very revealing equipment - much more so than my more entry level stuff. My older more expensive equipment varied more day to day with humidity, power quality etc. With my current more affordable stuff, you can still hear differences from these effects but they are not as dramatic.

I think our mind plays tricks on us all the time. Sometimes we hear things we want to hear and sometimes we hear things we don’t want to hear :cry:

Rega RP6 + Dynavector 10x5 > Simaudio Moon Neo 310LP

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:59 pm 

Just a follow up. Definite keepers. Musical, fun, engaging, better at lower volumes than I originally thought. No more cables, no more separates and component matching, no more tube rolling, no worrying about room interaction. $2599? Worth every penny.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 5:25 pm 

Glad to hear you are enjoying them. I love how great they sound quietly with any type of music.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 7:46 pm 

milesian wrote:
Just a follow up. Definite keepers. Musical, fun, engaging, better at lower volumes than I originally thought. No more cables, no more separates and component matching, no more tube rolling, no worrying about room interaction. $2599? Worth every penny.

I totally agree. I bought these recently as a bedroom system. I got some break in hours on them in the main listening room and now it seems like such a waste to plunk them on a dresser in the bedroom. Outstanding speakers for the price and the convenience is great. I ran them with and without a sub and it's not a necessity by any means. I was pleasantly surprised by their low end authority. And of course they are imaging champs along with a large soundstage. Detailed but non fatiguing. And it's well documented these speakers can get loud! So far the biggest downfall to me is the soundstage definitely loses its magic quickly at low volumes. Not a deal breaker in a large room where you will be asking for more volume but in a small room/near field listening, this may become a issue.

But all in all, $2500 is a steal for these in my opinion.

Can't get my pic straight. :cry:

Attachments:
ls50w.jpg
ls50w.jpg [ 275.55 KiB | Viewed 1496 times ]
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:10 pm 

yrogins wrote:

True enough, could depend on what mood you're in.... This is what makes me wonder about used speakers, and equipment, as to how long they've been used for. Maybe they need a long time to sound better. Those LS50s look good, but I don't think I'd buck up for them, I'll have to settle for my old Carina IIs for KEFs.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:16 pm 

Attachment:
ls50w.jpg
ls50w.jpg [ 162.51 KiB | Viewed 1451 times ]

Balance MC-1010 phono stage... in progress (week 2)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 4:37 am 

Those look like AudioNote speakers you have there, very nice. I still think my tube driven Omega SAM’s had the edge in detail and finesse, there’s something about that Alnico driver. But I can live with the KEF’s. A good compromise.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:17 am 

I've had mine (wireless version) for about a year now and absolutely love them. I'm in a pretty tiny room and am convinced they would sound even better with a little more room to breathe. These replaced big Vandersteens and the big power/pre needed to drive them when I downsized my home and I do not miss them at all. Have heard the passive LS50s a number of times and found their quality to be directly related to the power behind them. 50 watts of generic power - meh. 300 watts of McIntosh -wow! Recently had a problem getting the new control app to work with them and I have to say the service through KEF USA is absolutely outstanding.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:50 am 

milesian wrote:
S’funny. I’ve been listening to these for three weeks, and found them eminently convenient, but not as stellar as the reviews have suggested. But the last couple of nights they have really blossomed. They’re actually quite fun to listen to now. In a 15 foot square room, which admittedly is not great, I have them 8’ apart and pointing straight ahead, and around 2’ out from the back wall. Toeing them in was not good at all. These things also need volume. Playing them quiet will be adequate but ho-hum. Crank them up and suddenly, black and white becomes technicolor. A week ago I could have sold them, today, I’ll keep em. Next week? Who knows, but if you’re thinking of getting them to replace all your separates and cables, be patient. They will reward you.

Have you tried setting them up on the diagonal instead of square to the walls? Meaning one speaker on one wall the other on an adjoining wall with the corner in between. I did that once with a pair of LS3-5A in a tough room. Wow, what a difference.