Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Mon Oct 15, 2018 5:05 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: PSB 400
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 5:38 am 

I've been scouring the internet looking for a pair of PSB 400 speakers to purchase that are in good shape. I have found one person selling a pair that appear to be in really good shape in the pictures but they come without grills. Were they not a popular speaker or are they just that nice a speaker that people are reluctant to let them go.

Because there are no grills, I'm looking for an aftermarket manufacturer for speaker grills that could use the exisitng mounting knubs on the speaker's baffle. Any idea?

Post subject: Re: PSB 400
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 8:24 am 
Premium User

debertin wrote:
I've been scouring the internet looking for a pair of PSB 400 speakers to purchase that are in good shape. I have found one person selling a pair that appear to be in really good shape in the pictures but they come without grills. Were they not a popular speaker or are they just that nice a speaker that people are reluctant to let them go.

Because there are no grills, I'm looking for an aftermarket manufacturer for speaker grills that could use the exisitng mounting knubs on the speaker's baffle. Any idea?

Maybe Madisound?

Any decent cabinet shop could make them for you and you could add the cloth yourself.

Ariston RD11 Superieur, RB250 & Tecnoweight, DV20X2H, LCR MkIII, Dacmagic100, Exposure 2010S2, AS Statement SEs, AS Testaments, PSB GT1s

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:02 am 

On a budget you can buy speaker grille foam an cut to fit
You can secure it with peel and stick Velcro tape

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:20 am 

Recently rediscovered my PSB 300 that was in storage. With tubes these little gems really sing. How is the 400 any different?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:40 am 

poupon wrote:
Recently rediscovered my PSB 300 that was in storage. With tubes these little gems really sing. How is the 400 any different?

The 400s dig deeper into bass with usable bass into the 50 Hz region. The 300s remind me of the PSB's original Alphas which are an excellent speaker and the only fault I find with them is the weakness of bass.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 6:26 pm 

debertin wrote:
poupon wrote:

The 400s dig deeper into bass with usable bass into the 50 Hz region. The 300s remind me of the PSB's original Alphas which are an excellent speaker and the only fault I find with them is the weakness of bass.

Thanks for the explanation...I may search out a pair for curiosity.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 6:42 pm 

poupon wrote:

The 300's are a great little speaker. I've owned the 500's and still have the 300's and the 800's. The 300's are more solid and have much better sound than the alpha's (which i've also owned). I've seen them for as little as $60, if you see a pair, snap them up.

A bookshelf speaker will not have a lot of bass but that is ok as they are for near field listening anyway. If you want bass just add one of psb's smaller subs like the alpha sub.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 6:49 pm 
Premium User

gnickers wrote:
The 300's are a great little speaker. I've owned the 500's and still have the 300's and the 800's. The 300's are more solid and have much better sound than the alpha's (which i've also owned). I've seen them for as little as $60, if you see a pair, snap them up.

+1

I always felt 300's were the sweet spot of the lineup. Back in the 90' I moved from 300's to 800's and regretted it. I scored a used pair locally for $50 a few years ago and they still sounded pretty good!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 3:48 am 

The 300 and 400 use identical drivers and I'm guessing the same crossover network. The 400s have a bigger cabinet and a bigger port out front and under the woofer. The only difference in sound I would expect between the two is that the 400 will dig deeper and stronger in the bass region because of the cabinet. When I look at the cabinet of the 300, its very similar to that of the Alphas (which I own) with the same size driver in both so I'm sure that the bass response between the 300 and Alphas are more similar than different. I want a deeper bottom end especially for music, hence my hunt for the 400s. I have no slight against the 300s whatsoever. Its a PSB product afterall which I'm very much a fan off.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 6:10 am 

debertin wrote:
The 300 and 400 use identical drivers and I'm guessing the same crossover network. The 400s have a bigger cabinet and a bigger port out front and under the woofer. The only difference in sound I would expect between the two is that the 400 will dig deeper and stronger in the bass region because of the cabinet. When I look at the cabinet of the 300, its very similar to that of the Alphas (which I own) with the same size driver in both so I'm sure that the bass response between the 300 and Alphas are more similar than different. I want a deeper bottom end especially for music, hence my hunt for the 400s. I have no slight against the 300s whatsoever. Its a PSB product afterall which I'm very much a fan off.

Not to hijack your thread....I use my 300's for near field listening and power them with a new Yaqin all tube (EL34) integrated amp + MC phono. The imaging and detail from just 5 feet away is quite nice. These speakers punch way above their weight and size.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 8:13 am 

[quote="I use my 300's for near field listening and power them with a new Yaqin all tube (EL34) integrated amp + MC phono. The imaging and detail from just 5 feet away is quite nice. These speakers punch way above their weight and size.[/quote]

i have similar near field setup with a rotel 9xx integrated and a good technics quartz TT, the quality of the sound amazes me sometimes. Sure it will never be mistaken for my big system but it is very musical and enjoyable. There is a tendency in this hobby to forget how good 'low-fi' can sound...and how inexpensive it can be!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 8:55 am 

poupon wrote:
debertin wrote:

Not to hijack your thread....I use my 300's for near field listening and power them with a new Yaqin all tube (EL34) integrated amp + MC phono. The imaging and detail from just 5 feet away is quite nice. These speakers punch way above their weight and size.

I think most PSB speakers punch way above their weight class. :)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:00 am 

Yay! Another happy PSB camper!

I use a set of PSB 300(or 400, will have to check) used for nearfield monitoring with an onkyo M504 amp. Using a peachtree audio amp for now, and sounds pretty nice to me. :)

I also wired the speakers through a PSB subsonic passive sub, and it's probably the best balanced sound setup I've heard for the price. There's a slight dip in the midrange, but it really is a sweet sounding setup.

Lo-Fi they are not. On the contrary, they are the best bargain out there for good ol' canadian made speakers.

gnickers wrote:
[quote="I use my 300's for near field listening and power them with a new Yaqin all tube (EL34) integrated amp + MC phono. The imaging and detail from just 5 feet away is quite nice. These speakers punch way above their weight and size.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 5:00 am 

I picked up a pair of PSB 400 and they are indeed a good deal bigger than the PSB Alpha's that the replaced.

Size in inches "W x H x D"
Alphas 7.75 x 12.75 x 9.75
PSB400 8.5 x 16 x 11.5

I listened to them playing America's self titled album and I must say that these speakers are phenominal. The highs and mids are better than the Alphas and the bass is far more present and deep.
I'm really impressed with them.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 4:07 am 

Here are some pics... the first being the PSB400 which replaces the PSB Alphas, 2nd pic.

Attachments:
IMG_0556.jpg
IMG_0556.jpg [ 69.73 KiB | Viewed 334 times ]
IMG_0076.jpeg
IMG_0076.jpeg [ 65.01 KiB | Viewed 334 times ]