Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Sun Oct 21, 2018 10:16 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:59 pm 

Took my DQ10's for a spin yesterday after a long demo with my Maggies. Wow..they sure impress for a 45 year speaker. They do require lot's of juice. On the downside, they are getting heavy to move around.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 2:42 pm 

I have a pair that I was given by someone who wanted them to go to someone who could restore them and enjoy them.
I needed to refoam the woofers and do some cosmetic restoration and cleaning.
I didn't do any upgrading to the crossovers as I know John Dalquist did a lot of voicing in their development.
So upgrading anything will change the sound and not neccessarily for the better.
Caps are mainly film type anyways.

To me for a speaker of its vintage it is truly remarkable.
I never owned a pair so didn't know what to expect..to say I was surprised
would be understating their sound..
Balanced with fantastic imaging and real bass that
is controlled and tuneful..
It uses what would have been almost run of the mill drivers at the time
however what they collectively produce makes them more than the some of the parts.

Matt....tubeornotube

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 2:52 pm 

Well, if this is just a query to confirm your revisited impression of how far ahead of the curve Jon was with these compared to comparably priced units back in the day - here's another fan. Yes, they were pigs for power, and one would be second guessing a pretty brilliant guy to consider any mods other than to replace possibly seriously aged EL caps in those very funky crossovers. I owned a pair for a few years in the late 70s, and with the matching passive XO and sealed subwoofer, driven by QUAD405, mono-ed Bryston 2B or even Yamaha CA1000 integrated, they were a delight. It was the size and placement requirements that doomed them in my system - pussy whipped at an early age, I was. The only mod I did to them was to mirror image the driver placement, which was a royal pain in the a$$, and no doubt the "improvement" we heard was at least 90% confirmation bias.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 3:17 pm 

., and no doubt the "improvement" we heard was at least 90% confirmation bias.[/quote]

"Confirmation bias"...………..there's a lot of that around......myself included.

Cheers, del Sol

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 4:24 pm 

Bought one 5 years ago to put on my HT setup. Just for kicks and to find out what it can do I put into my main system which comprises of Krell EVO system replacing the Totem Shaman speakers. I concur as some posters said that it can image surprisingly well considering its age. The midrange was neutral but not as transparent as I would like although the bass was tuneful but not as tight and deep as I was hoping.

In HT room setup through the DQ10 did perform very well for what it was intended to do as it presents a wide and dynamic sound perhaps this has to do with the powered subwoofer doing all the works below 60 Hz.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 6:21 pm 

Just to add...I have 2 NAD 2200 amps bridged with a Yaqin tube PA and 2 modified suspended turntables both with Denon 103S. A vintage analog set up on a modest budget.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:40 pm 

Definitely a fan here and I'd love to hear a pair again to compare with what I've heard since. I used 40 watts tube and a big old pioneer receiver- 980 I think. I preferred the pioneer.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 3:33 am 

I loved the DQ-10 speakers I had, should not of got rid of them like several other pieces I've had.

Attachments:
15879495_10154110931202050_1199641541_n.jpg
15879495_10154110931202050_1199641541_n.jpg [ 71.89 KiB | Viewed 256 times ]
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 3:49 am 

I bought a pair of DQ10's back in the early 80's from Straight Gain Electronics on Elm street along with an Oracle TT. At first, a little disappointed by the lack of dynamics and punch, but that was remedied by an amp update to Krell KSA 100 Mk2. Boy, the DQ10's love power.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:26 am 

I longed to own a pair of DQ-10's since the mid 70's - now I own two sets.

The first set is an earlier set that was mirror imaged by a previous owner. It includes a Dahlquist DQ-1w passive sub-woofer and a DQ-MX1 passive crossover. I had the electronics checked and updated (capacitors changed, and any thing else requiring changing) by a local electronics technician but the resulting sound is not good. Although the technician is well regarded it seems crossovers are not a forte. I want to have the set looked looked at by another local technician that knows DQ-10s. If I can't find a local technician, and budget permitting, I plan to have the speakers gone over by Regnar, New York.

The second set I acquired recently. It includes two mirror imaged speakers, but no subwoofer or crossover. I use an SVS subwoofer with them, and I am very pleased with the results.

So yes, I'm a DQ-10 fan!

GT