Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:50 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 5:31 am 

Yesterday I was listening to a James Bond CD that I have played numerous time via my Arros. The only difference was I was listening to this via my Grado GH2. I heard what appears to be a sound of a LP playing including the "hiss" between tracks. I played it back numerous time and it would appear that the disk was recorded from a LP. I guess that is not too odd.
The question I have if I played this through a headphone DAC/Amp instead of just an amp, would this sound dissappear?

Also what cost would I have to invest to remove this sound(s)? Someone told me that all DAC's under $1000 are the same. Is this also true? thanks.

Rega Planar 3/Nagaoka MP-11/Technics SL-7/SL-V5/Grado Black/NAD C725BEE/NAD C545BEE/NAD 613/NAD PP2/NAD DAC1/NAD HP20/Teac UD-301/Totem Arro/Technics SL-MC7/Sony MDR-1000X/Grado PS-500; RS2i; GH2/FiiO Q1 II/JDS Element

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 5:41 am 

I'm not an "expert" but as far as my knowledge goes that "hiss" is in the recording and a DAC isn't going to take it away. Your headphones are probably just more detailed than your speakers. As far as the claim all DAC's are the same under $1000 is completely false.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 5:50 am 

https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digital ... oever.html

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 6:04 am 

The notion that all DACs under 1000 bucks sound the same is just plain silly.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 6:44 am 

cdnduck wrote:
Yesterday I was listening to a James Bond CD that I have played numerous time via my Arros. The only difference was I was listening to this via my Grado GH2. I heard what appears to be a sound of a LP playing including the "hiss" between tracks. I played it back numerous time and it would appear that the disk was recorded from a LP. I guess that is not too odd.
The question I have if I played this through a headphone DAC/Amp instead of just an amp, would this sound dissappear?

Also what cost would I have to invest to remove this sound(s)? Someone told me that all DAC's under $1000 are the same. Is this also true? thanks.

That's like saying all amps under $1,000 are all the same.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 7:37 am 

I've actually seen people post on forums saying that all amps sound the same. Regardless of cost.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 8:05 am 

dmitchell wrote:
I've actually seen people post on forums saying that all amps sound the same. Regardless of cost.

Yeah, but they never disclose they have hearing issues.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 10:34 am 

It’s not that big a stretch to say the sound transducer (speaker) that converts the electrical signal to a waveform is BY FAR the biggest factor in a system. Next would be the room. The amp can be a factor depending on the speaker impedance characteristics. For some speakers a decent amp above a certain minimum quality will sound almost identical to one many times it’s price. Other speakers are much more amp dependent. The preamp, in my opinion, makes more of a difference in tone. The Dac makes almost no difference. All digital sources are very similar.

It’s a question of degrees. I listen critically in terms of musical presentation and enjoyment. A pico percentage difference in distortion or resolution doesn’t make the slightest difference to me.

The question is. What kind of listener are you?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 11:13 am 

malthuse wrote:
It’s not that big a stretch to say the sound transducer (speaker) that converts the electrical signal to a waveform is BY FAR the biggest factor in a system. Next would be the room. The amp can be a factor depending on the speaker impedance characteristics. For some speakers a decent amp above a certain minimum quality will sound almost identical to one many times it’s price. Other speakers are much more amp dependent. The preamp, in my opinion, makes more of a difference in tone. The Dac makes almost no difference. All digital sources are very similar.

It’s a question of degrees. I listen critically in terms of musical presentation and enjoyment. A pico percentage difference in distortion or resolution doesn’t make the slightest difference to me.

The question is. What kind of listener are you?

Thank you for acknowledgeing the room as a vital factor...Often this ignored...As far as digital goes, mine will always sound different because they will have to have tube output..

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 11:45 am 

From my experience,
what is recorded on a cd will be heard in hi-fidelity.
INCLUDING ALL SOUNDS IN THE SPECTRUM OF THE EARS. It's playback. :wink:

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:24 pm 

cdnduck,

It could well be recorded from LP but the question is ... does the player show playing one continuous track, or have track numbers matching the record, 1,2,3, ...

If individual tracks then in theory there should be dead time between which should sound different than the actual sound of a record player between tracks.

If you find this "LP" sound to be pervasive between tracks on CDs then I would suspect noise somewhere ... ground loop? ... maybe/maybe not alleviated by throwing another piece of gear into the mix?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 1:04 pm 

Is sounds like this is just a matter of your grados and headphone amp are just more revealing/less forgiving than your arros and whatever amp you use with them. Investing in a separate DAC might have some effect on the hiss,, but A good Dac will play the sounds on the recording, even hiss. You’d have much more success replacing the Grados with a less revealing headphone.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 5:04 pm 

That's like saying all amps under $1,000 are all the same.[/quote]

Or hookers....... (so I've been told) :?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 4:37 am 

brownslane wrote:
That's like saying all amps under $1,000 are all the same.

Or hookers....... (so I've been told) :?[/quote]

LOL. From what I understand, that is definitely one pasttime where you get what you pay for.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 10:29 am 

I have a prerecorded CD that was recorded from a vinyl record.
It has surface noise,pops and ticks
Johnny Rebel-The complete Johnny Rebel Collection
For Segregationists Only