Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:34 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 3:21 pm 

Image :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 3:46 pm 

Uhhh...sure...A "joke" here...But have you traveled to China? I mean, a billion people - growing "middle class". GTA barely counts as a small city over there...

Here's a "record player" for 17,800 Yuan ($3,353 CDN) in a major Beijing department store...

Attachment:
File comment: Beijing hi-fi
IMG_20180402_152029.jpg
IMG_20180402_152029.jpg [ 224.43 KiB | Viewed 642 times ]

So what you posted is both a bargain and a technological marvel over there...

BTW, I've never seen as many Audi, Mercedes, Ferrari, or Porsche on the road as I have over there...

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 4:55 pm 

I just thought the language was funny. It actually looks nicer than most cheapo turntables.

I suspect the "turntable up-down pole" is not the greatest though.

Sorry if I offended your economic sensibilities :)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 6:01 pm 

fifthbusiness wrote:
BTW, I've never seen as many Audi, Mercedes, Ferrari, or Porsche on the road as I have over there...

Just read - Asia now has the most Billionaires of any country. Apparently, over 600 of them.

So, I thought I'd treat myself to something in their honour.

Attachment:
Clear Audio Statement.jpg
Clear Audio Statement.jpg [ 169.52 KiB | Viewed 507 times ]

Nah..... It wasn't even on sale. :(

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 6:22 pm 

Now that's a nice up-down pole!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 6:36 pm 

...[/quote] A "joke" here...But have you traveled to China?

BTW, I've never seen as many Audi, Mercedes, Ferrari, or Porsche on the road as I have over there...[/quote]

Yes there is a name for this condition. It is called .....inferiority complex syndrome in the subconscious ...... and drives people to overcompensate for lack of self - esteem ,in this case luxury cars I guess.
I mean bicycles were the normal until 20 years ago.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 9:22 am 

Quote:
Yiorgos wrote:
.. A "joke" here...But have you traveled to China?

Yes there is a name for this condition. It is called .....inferiority complex syndrome in the subconscious ...... and drives people to overcompensate for lack of self - esteem ,in this case luxury cars I guess.

No, that is completely wrong conclusion, IMHO. Have you been there?

My wife grew up in rural China. One of her early and happy memories is "Finally being big enough to hold the back legs of a pig we raised so that my father could slaughter it. My mother made such an amazing meal for our family."

She grew up only knowing that you need to study like crazy to get ahead - to a place where you don't do home work by candle light.

My wife has a Master's in comp sci from a university in Norway...Our last visit we met up with many of her friends in Beijing - I think I was the only one with a Bachelor's...And they all came from similar backgrounds.

It's not about lack of self esteem...They've been working their asses off for a long time and have saved up a lot of cash. They are now looking around saying "You can't take it with you" and spending. Cash. Not Visa, not a third mortgage, and not a line of credit...

There is a very strong and growing middle class...well...upper middle class in China. And they are now starting to like quality sound for music. I give it a few more years and if you want to see the latest and best you will need to attend an audio show in China...

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 4:34 pm 

Respectfully, you are reading far more into this than was my intention. I just thought it was a funny ad. Im not the sort to make cultural judgements based on material possessions. But I'm not above laughing at funny translations.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 5:58 pm 

fifthbusiness wrote:
Quote:
Yiorgos wrote:
.. A "joke" here...But have you traveled to China?

No, that is completely wrong conclusion, IMHO. Have you been there?

My wife grew up in rural China. One of her early and happy memories is "Finally being big enough to hold the back legs of a pig we raised so that my father could slaughter it. My mother made such an amazing meal for our family."

She grew up only knowing that you need to study like crazy to get ahead - to a place where you don't do home work by candle light.

My wife has a Master's in comp sci from a university in Norway...Our last visit we met up with many of her friends in Beijing - I think I was the only one with a Bachelor's...And they all came from similar backgrounds.

It's not about lack of self esteem...They've been working their asses off for a long time and have saved up a lot of cash. They are now looking around saying "You can't take it with you" and spending. Cash. Not Visa, not a third mortgage, and not a line of credit...

There is a very strong and growing middle class...well...upper middle class in China. And they are now starting to like quality sound for music. I give it a few more years and if you want to see the latest and best you will need to attend an audio show in China...

It's nice to be proud of your wife but come on now. Are you saying that only Chinese people study hard and get masters? That is definitely wrong assumption. I have met people from different cultures with high education. Chinese are many - many millions population so they will also represent higher number percentage in education. One of their cities houses more people than the entire population of my country. No I haven't been in China but have seen enough videos ,some good some bad like anything else.what is your point?
George