Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:44 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum rules

The Cables forum is intended for those who believe cables make a difference in how their systems sound. If you do not believe in cables please do not post in any threads that are discussing specific cables or asking for help with cables, and limit your participation to threads where the OP intends to debate about cables. Posts which are argumentative, offensive, or break our rules may be deleted. Repeat offenders will be banned from posting in this forum.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 6:12 am 

two speakers around the same price point any preference one over the other

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 6:33 am 

Hi,

The choice you face here is purely personal. It's like comparing two apples; gala or empire. Personal taste is the arbiter. Don't ever believe that either one is ultimately 'better' - they are only different and fans for both are legion. Just listen to each, for a long period, and select the one you favour. Don't overthink it - just use your ears and how they make you feel.

Cheers,
David Neice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:40 am 
Dealer/Sponsor

Quiet opposite sounding. You might investigate some other options in the middle of those sonic flavours as well.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:15 am 
Premium User

Two completely different animals - one driver vs tweeter/driver

There are a lot more LS50's for sale on CAM than there are Rainmakers if that tells you anything.

I have the Dreamcatchers and love them, always wanted to move up to something with a bigger driver but $ does not grow on trees....

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:55 am 

Personally, I found the Rainmakers to be one of Totem's least impressive effort.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:12 am 
Premium User

KEF LS50 over Rainmakers but I'd hold out for a pair of Totem Sky.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:13 am 

No contest here. Go with Kef ls50. I won’t bore you with why . Just give them the power they deserve. The better the amplifier, the better they perform. Amazing results. For the cost, I believe they’re on sale at Visions (not a fan of this chain) for under $1200 . 8)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:56 am 

Visions is clearing the Ls50. The manager at one location offered me a new pair for $1000 tax included! Said KEF is discontinuing them?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:30 am 

I had the Rainmakers a while back. They need quality amplification, just like any small speaker. The Nad 325bee I had was not enough for them. They opened up somehow with Exposure 2030s, but then I moved to Harbeth P3ESR.
Now I have the KEF LS50Wireless and they're amazing. Everything Harbeth has plus dynamic, punchy sound when needed. Never listened to the passive LS50s though.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:32 am 

triathleteman wrote:
Two completely different animals - one driver vs tweeter/driver

They both have 2 drivers. Kef just puts thier tweeter in the middle of the mid/bass driver instead of over top of it.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:42 am 

Go and listen - I like both but own the KEFs. They are brilliant. BBC midrange but tighter and more dynamic. KEFs are natural in the mids but the Totem is more neutral.

I agree with James W - the Totem Sky would be my choice too.

You have to consider the baby Dynaudios at that price point as well. Very neutral and excellent tone.

Another poster mentioned the new Paradigm series that will play in this range as well. Not heard them but if they are as great at their price point as the new Monitor series, they will be contenders.

So many good choices.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:29 pm 

brf wrote:
Personally, I found the Rainmakers to be one of Totem's least impressive effort.

+
James_W wrote:
KEF LS50 over Rainmakers but I'd hold out for a pair of Totem Sky.

+
The Skys & Spendor S3/5R2s make for an interesting comparison/contrast at appr. the same price point? Audio Eden had a demo pair of Spendors at $1200 last week.... perhaps possible to audition both at AE.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:40 pm 

Spendors are closer to the KEFs but much better in terms of classic British balance. The KEFs have it for resolution and dynamics. Both are great for classical, jazz and instrumental music but the KEFs can do rock and EDM type stuff.

I was looking for 3/5r2 when the new Proac did not pan out (Tablette 10 is a totally different animal to the previous Tablette) but decided to stay with the KEFs

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:47 pm 

brf wrote:

I once owned the Rainmaker and Forest in the same system (Simaudio source and amplification). I slightly preferred the Rainmmaker, so sold the Forests and added a small Mirage sub to make up the difference.

I much prefer Gala (my favorite) to Empires, and with speakers that's how things are going to stack up. Someone else can't stand Gala apples, I'm sure.

You need to try them both and make a decision that fits you.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 1:37 pm 

planetofsound wrote:
Quiet opposite sounding. You might investigate some other options in the middle of those sonic flavours as well.

I see your store has the Kef ls50 on sale. Is it true that Kef is discontinuing the Ls50 passive model ?