Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:47 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:12 am 

The other night we had company from out of town and they wanted us to hear some music they had on one of their cell phones. My wife brought her small stereo Bluetooth speaker into the living room and set it on top of our huge brick fireplace's mantle, opposite the couch. I was floored that this little unit, whose speakers are no more than a few inches apart, was throwing a huge stereo sound stage reaching several feet to the left and right of the unit. I simply couldn't believe it. The fidelity was less satisfactory, but that's another point. Any ideas why this wide wall of sound was being created?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:35 am 

You forgot to tell us the most important info....What is the make/model of this bluetooth speaker that you used?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:05 pm 

A lowly Escape SPBT939 costing $59.95 at Winners. So I don't think this unit has any sonic tricks up its sleeve.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:17 pm 

Several feet ? That’s not exactly huge. :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:19 pm 

Sounds like two speakers eight to 10 feet apart. Considering the two speakers in the Escape are four inches apart I think that's pretty good.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 1:21 pm 

I think the impression of a large sound stage is due to the really small drivers, which create a point source for the sound. I've noticed this other times with really small speakers, and for years I usually owned and used small speakers (such as Totem) for this effect.

I once heard a pair of Von Schweikert VR-1 (small 2-way 6") at a dealer, and it was like Diana Krall was in the room. I was floored. Compared it to the VR-2 (floor standing, extra driver) and the magic was gone.

At this point in my life I'm using a larger 5-driver floorstander, the lure of that small speaker has largely worn off ... I now prize a warmer, larger, more robust sound, but I still get why certain people love small speakers - they image in a way that larger speakers usually can't.

(That Bluetooth speaker is $35 at CTC).

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 1:30 pm 

L-Man wrote:
I think the impression of a large sound stage is due to the really small drivers, which create a point source for the sound. I've noticed this other times with really small speakers, and for years I usually owned and used small speakers (such as Totem) for this effect.

I once heard a pair of Von Schweikert VR-1 (small 2-way 6") at a dealer, and it was like Diana Krall was in the room. I was floored. Compared it to the VR-2 (floor standing, extra driver) and the magic was gone.

At this point in my life I'm using a larger 5-driver floorstander, the lure of that small speaker has largely worn off ... I now prize a warmer, larger, more robust sound, but I still get why certain people love small speakers - they image in a way that larger speakers usually can't.

(That Bluetooth speaker is $35 at CTC).

Eggzachary...not bad for the backyard or social gatherings...

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 4:07 pm 

many small speakers are becoming increasingly better, as is wireless transmission.
They won't replace a component setup for very few but have become good enough to substitute for one among the masses.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 4:26 pm 

I have a pair of Soundmatters Foxl v2s that I use with the Foxlo sub. The setup is amazing for a system that fits in a small box. But often I just listen to one Foxl alone and I'm always amazed at how musical it is with its apparently wide soundstage and its impressive ability with vocals. I've never enjoyed Gordon Lightfoot's "Beautiful" more on any system regardless of size.

All the best to everyone,

Don

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 4:33 pm 

Hi Fi , really . :D

Attachments:
A28B3947-D9F9-4876-8E03-4B1BDBBC2BD2.jpeg
A28B3947-D9F9-4876-8E03-4B1BDBBC2BD2.jpeg [ 238.5 KiB | Viewed 260 times ]
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:47 am 

First time i plugged in a pair of Kanto YU2 USB speakers I was wondering where the sound was coming from.

I couldn't tell that the little 3" composite 'woofers' and 3/4” silk dome tweeter were making sound. I had to pick one up and hold it to my ears. The speakers vanished into a large sound field.

Sure, after setting them up on my office desk and using them for a while, i could hear the Kanto's were a bit terrible, but most of the time, large sweet soundscapes.

Wacky.

TOM...

Sonic Frontiers SLF-1, Simaudio I-5, Vecteur i4, Rotel RB-981
Simaudio 280d, Simaudio 300d, Atoll ST100, Audiolab M-Dac

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:55 am 

Sometimes less is more.