Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:46 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:27 pm 

A gorgeous TD-147 now graces the heart of my audio system. I couldn't resist with this one, she is an absolute beauty, in superb condition. She's the Jubilee Edition, so adorns the light gold coloured top plate. I was not aware initially that the 147 shared the same specs as the the 160 Super, with the addition of auto lift and stop. Heavy plinth and bottom board, damped subchassis, 10mm spindle, etc. The TP16 Isotrak sounds excellent on this table, there will be no changing of the arm on this one. An Audio Technica AT-155LC is mounted, and wow, what a cartridge - the best I've had. Very sweet, smooth and detailed, seems to be an excellent match with the Thorens arm. I was quite taken back with the 147's sound quality upon initial connection, but then I spent a few sessions over 3-4 hours in fine tuning the suspension to get the bounce just so. Now she really sings! I love the look and sound of this table, and appreciate the fact that it's a bit of a collectible. Photos coming ...

Attachments:
IMG_20180910_152338112.jpg
IMG_20180910_152338112.jpg [ 244.18 KiB | Viewed 774 times ]
IMG_20180910_135529019.jpg
IMG_20180910_135529019.jpg [ 231.54 KiB | Viewed 774 times ]
IMG_20180910_135544960.jpg
IMG_20180910_135544960.jpg [ 219.55 KiB | Viewed 774 times ]
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:39 pm 

Dude! That is a beauty. Enjoy...
8)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:28 pm 

well, really one of the best Thorens machines! Enjoy it! I used to have one too....

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:45 pm 

Thanks guys! I've been polishing up the cover this evening. Initially I used a Simonize kit used for faded headlight lenses, then followed up with a hardshell wax. Really successful, and got rid of most of the surface scratches.

I love your new table Rusty, I've always wanted an HK table too. I'm sure she sounds sweet. It's a beauty.

Happy vinyl days!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 5:48 am 

Very nice table! I am a Linn guy, but I have a TD-160 Super in my second system; and I love it. If you want to improve it, I installed a Linn Valhalla power supply board in mine.
It made a big difference. Mine came without an arm, so I installed a Linn Akito with an Ortofon MC20 Super (through a first version Rega Fono MC).

Sorry, Mister Vice President, 'The Handmaid's Tale' is not a documentary.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 6:25 am 

Cyrus, that is a beauty! Welcome to the Thorens club. Mine is a TD-150 Mk 2, with a custom plynth, OL 250 arm and Hana SL cart. I like it. A lot! :)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 9:27 am 

Big congrats Cyrus!
Are you running Vandersteens?
And which phono pre are you using with that Audio Technica?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 9:40 am 

cyrus wrote:
Thanks guys! I've been polishing up the cover this evening. Initially I used a Simonize kit used for faded headlight lenses, then followed up with a hardshell wax. Really successful, and got rid of most of the surface scratches.

I love your new table Rusty, I've always wanted an HK table too. I'm sure she sounds sweet. It's a beauty.

Happy vinyl days!

Ya man, the HK table is a beauty. The thing is, I have always wanted a Thorens! Almost snagged a TD-160 once, stone-mint at a garage-sale in Vangroovy. Guy next to of me bought it for twice the asking price. Which was $25. Another one that got away...
:cry:

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 10:55 am 

Absolutely gorgeous turntable. I was given a TD145 which I wish I could have transformed into something like your 147, ie have a custom plinth and hinged dust cover made for it. But it would be a lot of dough and I have lots of other turntables. The Thorens tonearms are better than they're given credit for. Enjoy, it will last forever with little maintenance.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 11:13 am 

Chipmunk1957 wrote:
Big congrats Cyrus!

Hey '57,

Yes, those are early 90's 1B's. I had the 2ce for awhile, but they overwhelmed the room. The 1b work really well in the space, and sound very good. The Sugden gods will rain down upon me, but my A28ll, as brilliant as it was, didn't quite have the guts for them. Enter a 1976 Harman Kardon A402 dual mono ... now we're talking.

The phono stage. I love this stage, it's a Vinyl Edition from PJL Electronics. Uses two 12AX7 for the output stage. I also tried his (Pat, of PJL) "Retro Edition", which is a pure tube unit (as opposed to a hybrid). Very good too, but the Vinyl Edition is a bit quieter. This phono stage is less than $300, and it's ridiculous. I'm running it with two late 50's/early 60's Sylvania/Baldwin organ tubes. I haven't even looked at the numbers yet in terms of a match for the AT155, but they work extremely well together. Huge stage, really smooth, nice and clean. Hasn't left me wanting, which, of course, can be rare with this affliction. PJL sales are through e-bay. Pat is an interesting guy, and he's passionate about tube gear. His designs are based on vintage phono stages.

If anyone is thinking of a stage at less than $1,000 I'd say, serious consideration is due for this one. I've tried the usual suspects over the years up to about the $5-800 mark, and they just don't do what the PJL does. I realize that this sounds so typical, and it gets fatiguing to hear and read. But this bears out in my experience with this one.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 12:16 pm 

In early 70's I used TD145c with Shure M91ed
Thorens are great products
Enjoy

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 2:17 pm 

cyrus wrote:
Chipmunk1957 wrote:
Big congrats Cyrus!

Hey '57,

Yes, those are early 90's 1B's. I had the 2ce for awhile, but they overwhelmed the room. The 1b work really well in the space, and sound very good. The Sugden gods will rain down upon me, but my A28ll, as brilliant as it was, didn't quite have the guts for them. Enter a 1976 Harman Kardon A402 dual mono ... now we're talking.

The phono stage. I love this stage, it's a Vinyl Edition from PJL Electronics. Uses two 12AX7 for the output stage. I also tried his (Pat, of PJL) "Retro Edition", which is a pure tube unit (as opposed to a hybrid). Very good too, but the Vinyl Edition is a bit quieter. This phono stage is less than $300, and it's ridiculous. I'm running it with two late 50's/early 60's Sylvania/Baldwin organ tubes. I haven't even looked at the numbers yet in terms of a match for the AT155, but they work extremely well together. Huge stage, really smooth, nice and clean. Hasn't left me wanting, which, of course, can be rare with this affliction. PJL sales are through e-bay. Pat is an interesting guy, and he's passionate about tube gear. His designs are based on vintage phono stages.

If anyone is thinking of a stage at less than $1,000 I'd say, serious consideration is due for this one. I've tried the usual suspects over the years up to about the $5-800 mark, and they just don't do what the PJL does. I realize that this sounds so typical, and it gets fatiguing to hear and read. But this bears out in my experience with this one.

Thats really great Cyrus.
Sounds like you've got some real synergy happening with your rig.
Im running the Vand 2c's and just love them.
So glad your enjoying your vinyl.
Thats where its at for me too.
Cheers bud

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 3:42 pm 

I bought one of these tables (Jubilee edition) a dozen years ago. They shipped it with the platter on and it arrived with everything destroyed. Table was junk after that. So much for that one.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 6:59 pm 

What a terrible shame. You would think it to be common sense to remove the platter and take the time to learn how to ship a table properly, but alas, there are plenty of disaster stories out there.