Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Mon Nov 12, 2018 5:13 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:45 pm 
Premium User

Seemingly randomly lately JRiver 23.0 has been stopping a few times during a listening session. Is anyone else experiencing this?

Ariston RD11 Superieur, RB250 & Tecnoweight, DV20X2H, LCR MkIII, Dacmagic100, Exposure 2010S2, AS Statement SEs, AS Testaments, PSB GT1s

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:03 pm 

shawnwes wrote:
Seemingly randomly lately JRiver 23.0 has been stopping a few times during a listening session. Is anyone else experiencing this?

Hi Shawnwes
Yes ,I have the same issue . I have been using JRiver for Mac for many years now,but sometime ago (I think at least a year ago ,and perhaps longer) I had experienced an issue with JRiver crashing randomly so I reinstalled the program with the supplied key and as you know ,they don't have a phone number you can call for assistance, only their forums that I find difficult to follow.
Anyways the reinstalling of the software worked back then but again this past May ,I started having same problems once again and this time while I was adding my music library the program was crushing (my music files are around 61230 and are located on an external Lacie 3TB HDD hooked to my i7 mac mini via USB3) and I noticed it was crushing at 48000 files so after several trials and fails and pulling my hair out then I figured some files are at around the 48000 number were probably causing the crash ,even though the same files were OK prior ,in any case I deleted a bunch of them to see where that gets me,and sure enough the program managed to complete adding the library minus those files I had deleted.
I continued and kept using JRiver (mostly on weekends) and then again in late July it started crashing while playing music, I couldn't and still can't understand why is doing this so after fiddling for hours ,I gave up on it. For now I am using VOX even though I like JRiver better for sound quality and interface. Any help on the topic will be appreciated.
Regards
George

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 2:27 am 
Premium User

Wow that's some digital collection you have!

I've just downloaded & updated to V 24.0.50 from their Interact Forum. We'll see if that helps. I'll report back in a few of days if it's quit stopping intermittently.

Cheers,

shawnwes

Ariston RD11 Superieur, RB250 & Tecnoweight, DV20X2H, LCR MkIII, Dacmagic100, Exposure 2010S2, AS Statement SEs, AS Testaments, PSB GT1s

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 4:56 am 

Do you mind telling us what pc you have jriver installed in?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:29 am 

Using JRiver V 24.0.50 on both windows 7 and windows 10 64 bit, NO issues at all.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:11 am 

Yes, I have experienced this too. It will be playing fine and then nothing. It will sometimes restart on its own, other times he I press stop and then play it will restart. Looking at the track progress bar when this happens, it looks like the song starts, runs for a few seconds but with no sound, then goes back to the start of the song and repeats this process.

I’m running Windows 10 on an Asus laptop with attached hard drive

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:35 am 

Last stable version for me was 18. Everything after that would crash randomly on my Lenovo laptop.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:53 am 
Premium User

3 yr old basic dell laptop 64 bit windows 8.1

Inspiron 3531 Celeron N2830 2.16 GHz 4G Ram

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 9:42 am 

Hi shawnwes
How is your JRiver now? Any problems or is flawless so far.Also did you have to pay a fee to update the software,I say this because every year JRiver keeps coming out with an upgraded version for 30 dollars and I have played along paying the fee to upgrade since JRiver 19 but it is getting tiresome now.Maybe better of with Roon with one time fee and be done.
Thanks
George

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 10:14 am 

shawnwes wrote:
I've just downloaded & updated to V 24.0.50 from their Interact Forum. We'll see if that helps. I'll report back in a few of days if it's quit stopping intermittently.
shawnwes

If you still have the same issue, maybe you should take a look at Foobar2000. It's free and it's one the best best music player around. I've tried several players inclusing JRiver, but now I would not part with Foobar2000.

http://www.foobar2000.org/download

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 5:49 pm 

Villebon wrote:
shawnwes wrote:
shawnwes

If you still have the same issue, maybe you should take a look at Foobar2000. It's free and it's one the best best music player around. I've tried several players inclusing JRiver, but now I would not part with Foobar2000.

http://www.foobar2000.org/download

Hi
Isn't Foobar2000 only for Windows>
Thanks
George

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 6:15 pm 

There are a myriad of factors that can cause JRiver to stop functioning..like you network or programs running in the background on your server.
I'm running mc19 on one machine and mc22 on another. Neither pc's are real power houses. I never have any problems unless i start skipping between tracks too quiclky
YMMV

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 6:37 pm 

Yiorgos wrote:
Hi shawnwes
How is your JRiver now? Any problems or is flawless so far.Also did you have to pay a fee to update the software,I say this because every year JRiver keeps coming out with an upgraded version for 30 dollars and I have played along paying the fee to upgrade since JRiver 19 but it is getting tiresome now.Maybe better of with Roon with one time fee and be done.
Thanks
George

Roon is $119 USD per year.
That's a lot more than OPTIONAL upgrades on JRiver.
Maybe I'm missing something??

-- 22 Sep 2018 22:37 --

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 7:40 pm 
Premium User

Yiorgos wrote:
Hi shawnwes
Thanks
George

I'm still having the problem with V24 but I think I've discovered what it is and I'm at a loss to understand what is happening but perhaps an electrician in the crowd can enlighten me.

It seems to happen if a major appliance kicks in, such as the fridge, or, as I noted the other day when I was listening in the living room in low light and the wife went into the kitchen, when a light switch is turned on. It only affects JRiver, nothing else! None of the lights on the gear flicker or go out. The laptop where JRiver resides doesn't miss a beat other than JRiver stops playing. Sometimes it's just a brief moment of silence and other times it stops all together.

Everything is plugged into this power conditioner and it doesn't flicker either.

Ground issue?

No fee to upgrade to V24 as of yet and wasn't wasn't warned of any during the upgrade. It automatically found the V23 files and accessed that folder.

Attachments:
HDC150RM_l_1.jpg
HDC150RM_l_1.jpg [ 12.4 KiB | Viewed 459 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 10:47 am 

shawnwes wrote:
Yiorgos wrote:
Hi shawnwes
Thanks
George

I'm still having the problem with V24 but I think I've discovered what it is and I'm at a loss to understand what is happening but perhaps an electrician in the crowd can enlighten me.

It seems to happen if a major appliance kicks in, such as the fridge, or, as I noted the other day when I was listening in the living room in low light and the wife went into the kitchen, when a light switch is turned on. It only affects JRiver, nothing else! None of the lights on the gear flicker or go out. The laptop where JRiver resides doesn't miss a beat other than JRiver stops playing. Sometimes it's just a brief moment of silence and other times it stops all together.

Everything is plugged into this power conditioner and it doesn't flicker either.

Ground issue?

No fee to upgrade to V24 as of yet and wasn't wasn't warned of any during the upgrade. It automatically found the V23 files and accessed that folder.

Hi
That is weird to say the least and beyond the scope of my capabilities to even consider looking for a solution. In my case the mac mini that JRiver resides is in a location that is out of reach for WIFI .I mean I do get WIFI but is slowwwwwww like snails. The mac mini and associated equipment are serving music to my back yard outdoors for the summer months of joy. Now that the weather is changing to fall ,I will dismantle it bring the macmini inside my man cave and within range of WIFI and troubleshoot it ,perhaps with an update of JRiver like you did.
Regards
George